You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UssIowaSailor

Were the wrong gimmicks selected for nations ship lines?

9 comments in this topic

Members
845 posts
10 battles

One thing that has baffled me is how did Wargaming come up with the current silly gimmick ideas for the British and German lines when there was historical precedent that could have been used to give the ships of each nation a historical feeling. 

#1 German Naval gunnery was considered to be among the worlds best when it came to accuracy. At the battle of Jutland the German Navy hit rate was better than the British Navy at a rate of 2-1 or better. The Bismarck was able to range and land salvos much quicker than the Hood and Prince of Whales. Wargamings decision to make the German ships the LEAST accurate in the game is the complete opposite of what the German Navy was historically. Since the Germans have smaller caliber guns, you could have given them a sigma buff to they would land at a higher rate to make up for inferior penetration. 

#2 The British Navy was renown for being able to fire their guns faster than anyone and we are now seeing a main battery reload booster on FRENCH ships? Instead of the really really really poor decision making process to build a battleship line of HE spammers the British line could have gotten a reload booster consumable, where raw rate of fire makes up for inferior penetration power. The consumable could have also jumped the detonation chance by 10% to simulate the propensity of British ship to blow up in combat. 

I know it is not a simulator but I think Wargaming has done a TERRIBLE job inventing gimmicks that had no historical correlation to the lines they were introducing to the game. By keeping with a more historically accurate flavor instead of the ridiculous gimmicks that were chosen I think the game would be more enjoyable for the Naval combat fan base. 

• Cool 3

[-K-]
Members
5,251 posts
9,096 battles

The Germans were also known for building notoriously tough ships.  So to play it historically, you'd want them to have the best accuracy and be overtly durable?  What do you plan on giving up in return?  There is a point of balance that needs to be translated in-game.  They keep their toughness at the expense of some accuracy in order to give them a different "brawling" type of gameplay.  Otherwise, ship lines would essentially be cookie-cutters of each other.

Secondly, it is highly doubtful that all of these newly introduced gimmicks were foreshadowed at the advent of this game.  This game is ever changing and evolving, and new mechanics are introduced that were probably not envisioned at the outset.  So just because you think some of these are "historically inaccurate", it doesn't mean they would necessarily balance out all that well.  Remember, WG has the tough task of keeping existing players excited while also trying to reach out and capture a new playerbase, so they do what they have to do.

So, if we're going to be aiming for historical accuracy, should HMS Hood have a 50% higher detonation chance than any other battleship?

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles

The German gunnery was extremely accurate to start in an action but degraded quickly where the British accuracy was poor to start and would get better as the battle progressed. I feel and have felt since alpha that national flavor aka gimmick was a bad path to go down as you run out of good gimmicks rather quickly.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,303 posts
403 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The German gunnery was extremely accurate to start in an action but degraded quickly where the British accuracy was poor to start and would get better as the battle progressed. I feel and have felt since alpha that national flavor aka gimmick was a bad path to go down as you run out of good gimmicks rather quickly.

Things were so much more simplier when all you had to do was wonder how many citadels your yamato was going to farm off of the enemy wasn't it? ahh the "Good" old days of alpha, closed beta.

[VVV]
Members
358 posts
2,270 battles
27 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

So, if we're going to be aiming for historical accuracy, should HMS Hood have a 50% higher detonation chance than any other battleship?

If I was drinking a drink, I would have spat it out when I read this. :cap_like:

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles
51 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Some more to add.. 

IMO Radar on DD's should of been a USN Trait...   It would of fit perfectly from a historical standpoint. 

I would of liked to see RN DD's be more of a support role. With a EW countermeasure of some kind. But this would of never happened.

You can clearly see that history has gone out the window  in terms of  reference, and they are addresssing these subjects and topics from a pure balance standpoint. 

Members
18,198 posts
5,196 battles

I think the issue is, instead of deciding in advance what ship lines they would have, and planning "gimmicks" all at once, they seem to come up with the gimmicks piecemeal, not deciding what a line's gimmick will be until they start developing it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles
6 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

The Germans were also known for building notoriously tough ships.  So to play it historically, you'd want them to have the best accuracy and be overtly durable?  What do you plan on giving up in return?  There is a point of balance that needs to be translated in-game.  They keep their toughness at the expense of some accuracy in order to give them a different "brawling" type of gameplay.  Otherwise, ship lines would essentially be cookie-cutters of each other.

Secondly, it is highly doubtful that all of these newly introduced gimmicks were foreshadowed at the advent of this game.  This game is ever changing and evolving, and new mechanics are introduced that were probably not envisioned at the outset.  So just because you think some of these are "historically inaccurate", it doesn't mean they would necessarily balance out all that well.  Remember, WG has the tough task of keeping existing players excited while also trying to reach out and capture a new playerbase, so they do what they have to do.

6 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

If I was drinking a drink, I would have spat it out when I read this. :cap_like:

Yeah it is funny in a dark way but the reality of the Hood blowing up was it was most likely the famed magic bb. Unless the British had fallen into the same bad habit of leaving the blast doors open between the magazine and the turret to speed up reloading. We will never know because no one survived from that area of the ship.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

In many cases, yes, WG chose stupid national traits.