You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

PSA on Royal Navy destroyers and early unlocks.

71 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,271 posts
4,224 battles

Remember that:

1) In just under four weeks, these will ALL be free to play. If you really want to avoid the grind and throw money at crates for a random chance at an unlock, if you're really that desperate, that's YOUR lookout; don't blame WG if you come up with nothing. Take the flags, camos and sovereigns the crates give you as a consolation prize and DEAL WITH IT. Sure, some people bought a 20 or 40-crate box and got all four, T5-T8... but unlike the American destroyers on offer during the US arc, these are tech tree ships

2) The ships you unlock will IIRC have premium status in regard to swapping captains in and out, but ONLY until the next patch drops. At that point they become tech tree ships again, and it's highly likely that any captain you have in them will undergo AUTOMATIC REASSIGNMENT to that ship. So make a memo to yourselves to swap them out before the patch.

3) IF YOU MUST THROW MONEY AT PREMIUM CRATES FOR UNLOCKS, consider that the maximum you should spend is the equivalent in doubloons required to convert free XP to unlock the Tier IX Jutland. Because let's face it, that's what you're really trying to do, aren't you?

4) These destroyers are unique, and their play style will be unlike any other DD in the game. Are you really sure you want to dive in at higher tiers, without having worked up the line and got a feel for how it plays? Disclosure: I got the Acasta unlock mission last night, from crates won in battle, but I will still be playing the T2 to T4 ships. I accept that those without a Gallant will want to use their early unlocks to run the UK DD-exclusive tasks, but remember that these are not essential to success.

ETA: Link to Kizarvexis' guide on the matter, repeated here for ease of reference.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 21
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,795 posts
7,006 battles

You really don't want us buying these crates, do you?

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
5,259 posts
9,099 battles

To be honest, I think I prefer not to get any of the ship unlocks early, as it gives me a better excuse to grind up the entire line and get a feel for it.  Part of me was disappointed that I got the unlock for T6 Normandie when the French BBs were released, and I missed out on experiencing the entire line.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
8 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I think the bigger issue is people complain more about getting unfair compensation from the crates than about submarines, ranked and CV imbalances combined. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,271 posts
4,224 battles
12 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I want people to think carefully before they spend money trying (and quite probably failing) to obtain something they will eventually be able to get for free. (I bought five American crates near the end of that event because I knew the potential payoff was premium DDs with value much greater than that of the crates; I went in prepared to lose that bet, which I did).

I personally wouldn't buy crates for tech tree unlocks, and I have a personal policy that I don't buy flags and non-permanent camos, so buying them for that while hoping for an unlock is also out of the question FOR ME.

9 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

To be honest, I think I prefer not to get any of the ship unlocks early, as it gives me a better excuse to grind up the entire line and get a feel for it.  Part of me was disappointed that I got the unlock for T6 Normandie when the French BBs were released, and I missed out on experiencing the entire line.

I got the Bretagne and the Normandie, and the Bretagne was an easy step up from the Orion I was playing at the time. I've got a port slot set aside to go back and play the Turenne and the Courbet at some stage, but they are lower priorities.

I am very glad to have the Acasta unlock (and the Gallant, which I've had for a while, to run the RN DD tasks), but I'll be buying the Medea as soon as she's available. I share your feeling that going up the line is the better way overall, and I like low-tier destroyers.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,271 posts
4,224 battles
2 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I dislike low tiers, so I bought some.

Did you get what you wanted? Or rather, enough of what you wanted for what you spent?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Did you get what you wanted? Or rather, enough of what you wanted for what you spent?

Bought 5 and got the tier 5 and 6. Not a fan of T6, but gets me close enough to tier 7 that I like to play. On EU though.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[HINON]
Supertester
19,197 posts
12,716 battles
25 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

No, he really doesn't want a flood of people whining about how they spend $100 on crates and didn't get what they mistakenly believe WG 'owed' them. Buy all the crates you want. Just understand the finer details about doing so, and have realistic expectations.

• Cool 6

[ARGSY]
Members
6,271 posts
4,224 battles
5 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Bought 5 and got the tier 5 and 6. Not a fan of T6, but gets me close enough to tier 7 that I like to play. On EU though.

That seems like a reasonably fair exchange. You can spend the next four weeks grinding out the XP value to the T7 then unlock it as soon as they are released.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
31 posts
6,692 battles

Even if got one of the free RN destroyes i always play the full line. The early unlocks only saves me from buying that ship. I did it when the RN and French BB's was released.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,271 posts
4,224 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

No, he really doesn't want a flood of people whining about how they spend $100 on crates and didn't get what they mistakenly believe WG 'owed' them.

Yep. I'm torn between not wanting people to hammer themselves financially, enjoying the salt that flows when they do, and shaking my head with dismay at the depths of the human condition when it comes to making decisions about a game.

1 minute ago, Jollyroger95 said:

Even if got one of the free RN destroyes i always play the full line. The early unlocks only saves me from buying that ship. I did it when the RN and French BB's was released.

I didn't play Turenne and Courbet back then, but I'll be playing from T2 this time round. Valkyrie and Wakeful are close cousins to the Vampire I already have, and I want to see how they handle by comparison/contrast.

• Bad 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles
29 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

He has a point. Best to wait and see what you get for free first(I got the T5); then if you feel the need later, hit up the premium shop(WG loves you long time).

[ARGSY]
Members
6,271 posts
4,224 battles
1 minute ago, _Rumple_ said:

He has a point. Best to wait and see what you get for free first(I got the T5); then if you feel the need later, hit up the premium shop(WG loves you long time).

Bear in mind also that the crates are available in the arsenal for Sovereigns. If you already have Warspite and Gallant and can live with not getting the doubloon cost back, or you don't want them, you can "buy" more crates with the Sovereigns.

• Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,723 posts
8,237 battles

We had the same thing with French BB. I thought people would have learned but nevermind. At least you can still earn Queen Elizabeth / Gallant / Special UK commander with token. Could be worst ..

[WOLFB]
Members
450 posts
3,836 battles

Great post @Ensign_Cthulhu. This should be required reading. Very wise.

There will probably still be a lot of whiners, but hats off to you for trying to tamp it down.

I very much like following all your posts and activities in the game. Keep it up!

(If we remember in a couple months, we should just copy and paste the link to this thread into all the whine threads. With the date attached.)

• Cool 2

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles

Going to wait until the event is nearly over. I just want to get enough sovereigns to buy Bert Dunkirk and Warspite and Gallant for doubloons. If I've got any sovereigns left over I might buy the Gallant camo. I'm hoping the alternative Lightning and Haida camo might be available in the arsenal in 0.7.10, but we'll see. Not bothered about getting any of the early access missions as I planned to grind the line from the start anyway. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,795 posts
7,006 battles
15 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

We had the same thing with French BB. I thought people would have learned but nevermind. At least you can still earn Queen Elizabeth / Gallant / Special UK commander with token. Could be worst ..

tokens can be converted into doublons, by repurchasing gallant and warspite (if you already have them). Also, premium shop containers contain triple the usual amount of tokens (compared to standard containers) and can be used to buy 5 packs of standard crates in arsenal.

this is not a reason to buy the crates, but it is a way of reducing the wastage.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,271 posts
4,224 battles
11 minutes ago, Noble_Taipan said:

If I've got any sovereigns left over I might buy the Gallant camo.

From what I've heard, it looks VERY similar with the same functionality. @AdmiralThunder took a hit for the team, IIRC, and was unpleasantly surprised by how little had changed. You would be better advised to spend your sovereigns elsewhere.

As someone who used to be hardcore  FTP, I still like to get as much out of this game just by playing as I can. Getting the Acasta unlock was my participation prize, and I'm not stressed either way if I get or don't get any more. I was on a roll during the French event (pun maybe intended?) - got Bretagne and then Normandie - but I missed the second phase due to travel and was convinced I might have got Lyon also if I had kept on playing. We will see what happens this time around.

• Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,806 posts
10,590 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

From what I've heard, it looks VERY similar with the same functionality. @AdmiralThunder took a hit for the team, IIRC, and was unpleasantly surprised by how little had changed. You would be better advised to spend your sovereigns elsewhere.

As someone who used to be hardcore  FTP, I still like to get as much out of this game just by playing as I can. Getting the Acasta unlock was my participation prize, and I'm not stressed either way if I get or don't get any more. I was on a roll during the French event (pun maybe intended?) - got Bretagne and then Normandie - but I missed the second phase due to travel and was convinced I might have got Lyon also if I had kept on playing. We will see what happens this time around.

I wasn't upset about it or anything. Just found it laughable that the alternate camo was the same exact thing with a different color green. I mean that is taking lazy to new heights LOL.  Kind of defeats the purpose of an alternate camo when there is no additional or different bonus applied AND the only visual difference is light green vs dark green.:Smile_facepalm:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

Don't want people whining that they bought a bunch of crates and didn't get a ship mission.

• Cool 1

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I did see that thread (as well as another). By the looks of things, the alternative camos for Cossack, Haida, and Lightning are the same pattern and colour. It looks quite good on those three ships, but looks too similar to Gallant's standard camo to be unique. Although the turrets painted black look quite cool. Still, Gallant alternative camo is the lowest priority.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,828 posts
9,581 battles
19 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Don't want people whining that they bought a bunch of crates and didn't get a ship mission.

Then a bunch of people whining that the ships are trash. 

Members
706 posts
25 minutes ago, Noble_Taipan said:

By the looks of things, the alternative camos for Cossack, Haida, and Lightning are the same pattern and colour

The two for Cossack are different pattern and colouring.

Cossack.jpg

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
2,155 battles
31 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I wasn't upset about it or anything. Just found it laughable that the alternate camo was the same exact thing with a different color green. I mean that is taking lazy to new heights LOL.  Kind of defeats the purpose of an alternate camo when there is no additional or different bonus applied AND the only visual difference is light green vs dark green.:Smile_facepalm:

I was also a bit surprised.  It took a lot of staring at my own Gallant to figure what the difference was.  The artists could've changed a few more chevrons and symbols here and there, made them curvy, or even just invert the colors.