You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #110 - Cossack

109 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
232 posts
2,377 battles

Very nice and i doubt i'll beat my record for being this early to a LWM review again

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles

Thank you for the review LHM. Would it had been better if  Cossack was placed as a T7 like Haida or Gadja?

[NGA]
Members
1,288 posts
7,816 battles

Great to see a review come up on this ship. I've been waiting for her since I saw you playing a match on Tears of the Desert. I'll admit that I was hoping there would be a bit more to her, but she seems alright as-is. And considering Wargaming has announced plans to help the tier VIII matchmaking... we'll see what develops. And besides, she's probably just going to cost me a dollar or two so it's not like that will break the bank.

[POP]
Members
1,162 posts
15,039 battles

HI

@LittleWhiteMouse great review by the way but I fear you may have missed something in this picture

r22VL1a.jpg

possible the R for Tribal

cheers

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
14 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Thank you for the review LHM. Would it had been better if  Cossack was placed as a T7 like Haida or Gadja?

Yes, with a big ol' stinky butt:  Cossack would change significantly when downtiered -- her concealment would be 6.08km without Concealment Modification 1 so that might require her to be tweaked (for the hundredth time).  In addition, she'd probably end up with her torpedoes nerfed (to match Haida's, Lightning's or Jervis').  So she's not likely to be the same ship as she is currently.  Similar, certainly, but not the same.  She works at tier VIII but she doesn't excel.  She's a fine ship, just not a powerhouse the way Haida can be (in the right hands) or Gadjah Mada almost always is.

[WG-CC]
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

HI

@LittleWhiteMouse great review by the but I fear you may have missed something in this picture

r22VL1a.jpg

cheers

... thank you.  I was wondering when something like that would crop up.

[PVE]
Members
5,600 posts
18,189 battles
3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

HI

@LittleWhiteMouse great review by the but I fear you may have missed something in this picture

cheers

It's the Canadian spelling, sheesh...

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

...And now Cossack is a tier 7? Wat?

Also, wow, I didn't expect Asashio to ever be "dethroned" from her title of "worst AA at tier 8", but here we are.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
9,124 posts
7,655 battles

... consarnit, this is what I get for doing this on little sleep.
Third time's a charm...

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Third time's a charm...

Got it this time!

As interesting as Cossack looks though, I'm itching to get home and see more of the tech tree ships in action outside of supertesting. Maybe even snag one for myself if RNG favors me.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,201 posts
12,724 battles
21 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Third time's a charm...

This is why you let someone proof read the article before you post it. :P

Oh, wait, I'm forgetting something ... Hmmmm ... A clever gif ... Let's see what I can dig up for you ...

Ah, yes. Ofcourse.

o7c2JYN.gif

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,795 posts
7,021 battles

Thanks for the review, fits my expectations of putting a Tribal at t8.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,224 battles

Interesting. Unless I can get a whole lotta guineas and make her very cheap, I think I'll pass on her like I passed on Haida - and for the same reason; I'm just not up to driving her with the skill she needs to be driven well.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles
49 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Interesting. Unless I can get a whole lotta guineas and make her very cheap, I think I'll pass on her like I passed on Haida - and for the same reason; I'm just not up to driving her with the skill she needs to be driven well.

Well, if you're going that route. You should get 48 guineas max from the RN route. the problem is that it might take you 3 months doing it. I'm kinda waffing on Cossack. I have no problem with Haida. Even up tiered. Will have to see with Cossack.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,224 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Well, if you're going that route. You should get 48 guineas max from the RN route. the problem is that it might take you 3 months doing it.

I've got no problem with that if it means I don't have to spend mucho $$$$ on a ship which I potentially might not like or do well in. The future could hold interesting things. I might win a Lightning unlock, for example. That would give me my T8 UK destroyer immediately and I might decide the Cossack is unnecessary.

Mouse's reviews have so far given me a good feeling for what a ship will be like, and even if I disagree with her overall opinion and obtain it, I find I have no surprises when I actually play the ship. I'm going to see how many guineas I can win before cash-conversion time happens, without breaking myself trying, and let the chips fall where they may. If I get enough, and the ship becomes cheap enough for me, I'll pull the trigger on the rest.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,829 posts
9,581 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The further problem is that anyone who can drive her well will be better served by driving something else. 

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,224 battles
7 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

The further problem is that anyone who can drive her well will be better served by driving something else. 

True. Then it comes down to historical interest and how well she fits in with your already-existing captains, fleet, and ambitions. For example, in terms of the permanent campaigns and what little is left of Ranked (I am finishing at Rank 18), I have only cruisers. It would probably  help me to have destroyers and battleships as well, to broaden my horizons and range of accessible missions (this was my problem a year ago when the North Cape campaign rolled around). If I had Cossack, I could put my 19 point Edinburgh captain in her whenever I wanted and take my chances, but I have no other 19 point captains in other nations yet.

So having her could be beneficial for me, and it's worth trying for her. I bought the one-off ten-guineas-for-the-price-of-one deal because it's stupid not to at the price, and it's nine guineas I don't have to cough up list price for down the road if I get the itch to just go ahead and grab her.

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles

Thank you for the very informative review 

@LittleWhiteMouse I've got two questions:

1. While this looks like a decent captain trainer for any of the T7-10 RNDDs in that IFHE or DE are optimal skills for Cossack. If you were to have a dedicated Cossack captain and you had to pick between either IFHE or DE as a skill, which would you prefer?
  2. Did you notice that Cossack's torpedo firing arcs are much worse than Haida's? I've noticed on the Haida's that the winch(?) on the port-side is conveniently missing from the ship when it is in a match, but is present while in port. On the Cossack that winch is always present.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,829 posts
9,581 battles
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

True. Then it comes down to historical interest and how well she fits in with your already-existing captains, fleet, and ambitions

For me? Not at all. The entire UK lineup is about as appealing as a dead cat in a rain barrel.

With the exception of Nelson and Warspite, even those I play rarely. 

Belfast is a total white elephant for me. Can’t get that turd to work.

Edited by HazardDrake