Sign in to follow this  
Doombeagle

Acasta: First Impressions

5 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
1,104 posts

So, having tried out the new tier 5 British destroyer, I shall don the copyright and plagiarism avoiding title of Big Black Rat and give this most unofficial, unsanctioned, and likely unwelcome critique.

It sucks.

It has a decent health pool, and Survivability Expert helps in this regard, which is good, you are going to need the extra hit points.

The guns are incredibly average, five second reload and slightly flatter shooting than American 5", but B turret takes dispersion to mean " fling this round into the stratosphere." Who knew the British had an anti-ballistic missile defense in place before ballistic missiles, must have something to do with the TARDIS. This is a minor nuisance next to the major irritation of the fact that Acasta should be renamed HMS Monaghan, because it also only has two forward turrets. To be more precise, it has them, but they will never be pointed where you want them. The turret traverse is slow. You might be tempted to take the customary Last Stand as a two point skill. Don't. You need Expert Marksman. Let's face it , you need them both, but a Destroyer whose turrets are possessed by the spirit of Izumo is no fun. As a final note on the guns, the firing arcs on the rear batteries are also poor.

Now, on to torpedoes, if only it had some. You do, but they are rather underwhelming. There are two quad launchers mounted amidships, which is the good news, the bad news is the 6km, 60 kt torps are pretty easily ducked, and the damage is uninspiring. You can make up for the anemic damage with quantity, but the real problem is the firing arcs. They are lousy. You used to have to take out an IJN cruiser to get torp arcs this bad, but not anymore. It gets even better because that 6km range is equal to your surface detection, so if you can reach them, they can see you, and you'll be basically broadside to them if you intend to launch torps.

Okay, weapons covered, on to the rest. Speed is pedestrian at 35kts, but the salient feature here is engine boost, specifically the lack thereof. Hopefully you won't need a sudden burst of speed, because you don't have one.

AA defense, yeah right. Honestly, I can let it slide on this since none of the tier 5 destroyers have any AA to speak of. Just don't forget to shut it off.

Smoke Generator: Gee it'd be nice if it had one, well if it had one whose smoke lasted more than 40 seconds, yes, 40 seconds. I timed it and the smoke lasts just long enough to complete a Lord's Prayer and a Hail Mary, which cannot be mere coincidence.

Not all the news is bad, the boat does handle well. The rudder shift and turning radius are good, so good in fact you can outrun your turrets and torpedo tubes, so the good also has an element of suction.

So, in summation, the Acasta, it sucks.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[SIDE]
Members
1,250 posts
8,868 battles

Great, I just got the Acasta quest personal combat mission...so, in a nutshell, uninspiring at best. Since it's so maneuverable, see if you can turn into your own slow torps? At least you can amuse yourself that way. :cap_like:

[90THD]
Supertester
1,065 posts
6,115 battles

I haven't had any issues with it and find it quite fun actually.  I think it all depends on the person using it quite frankly.  in 10 matches I've been top player 8 times.

• Bad 1

[143RD]
Members
16 posts
5,242 battles

Just got it, it sucks hard. You just about don't have smoke, actually don't have boost, your torps suck, your guns suck... everything you want in a DD, this ship doesn't have. Effing useless. Why did WG even bother making this floating death trap?

[WOLF6]
Members
12 posts
1,856 battles

I dunno, I threw my 10 Dunkirk Captain on her and skipped all the special skills and went with my normal torpboat DD skills, (PM, LS, SI, CE)   I've played 7 games (small sample size) but HE spam from cover/max range and then sneaking torps from islands.  Watching every single torp from one launcher strike nearly dead center of the Natgato charging in on my "unsupported" USN cruiser buddy capping A was satisfying.  We'll see how the rest of it goes, but I'm enjoying this so far. 

A Gneisenau bow on, pressing into our cap also ate 3 of 5 torps a game or so later...

The smoke is short lived but reloads quickly, and with my build I have 6.  There is no speedboost but from a standstill every full speed nearly feels like one.

Edited by theshiyal

Sign in to follow this