Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Richelieu vs Jean and Alsace vs Bourgogne Comparison

4 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,291 posts
7,840 battles

While we await these ships, I'd figure I do what I do best and making a few snide remarks about some issues I see.

Everyone knows the Jean Bart as the Richelieu being boosted a tier. Some say it'll be a new Free XP/Coal/Steel ship, some theorize it could have something to do with a rework of the French tech tree. At this point, it's up in the air for us poor cogs in the machine.

Here's a quick summary of how she differs from her older sister:

The main battery, in addition to receiving the MB Reload Booster that has become a French gimmick, has a firing rate equal to the Bismarck and Tirpitz (26s). It should be noted that Rich has 0.8 kilos greater range than JB when fully upgraded. In terms of accuracy, I believe Rich has a slight advantage (313 at 25.3) vs JB (306 at 24.5) though JB enjoys a sigma of 1.9. Don't ask me what Rich's is though since that is one stat that I can never find. JB used to have 2.0, but apparently that was a bit too much for 8 15" guns at tier IX.

In the secondaries, they have the same 152s, but the JB's 100mm are the improved ones we see on the Alsace's B hull with a slight decrease in fire chance (6% to 5%), but an increased RoF (15rpm to 20 rpm). It also has twice as many (3 turrets per side vs 6 turrets per side).

We also have some changes in AA with JB's improved 100mm having more than quadruple the value of Rich's (40.8 vs 177.6). JB loses the WWII-era 40mm (222.6) and 20mm (172.8), but gains the post-war 57mm (357) which trade about 40 DPS for an extra kilometer range over the 40mm (4.5). So the AA suite is definitely improved.

For some more nuanced stuff: JB has about 5k more HP; Rudder crapis 0.6 seconds slower; Surface Detect is down about 0.35, but Aerial Detect is up 0.4 (though I'm not sure if camo is involved). The biggest minor loss is JB losing 2 knots off her maximum speed.

Overall, I'm at least mildly interested and if she becomes available for use in Operation Hermes, she'll be a no-brainer. As is, I'm a little hesitant still.

Now for the differences between Alsace (a ship that was considered the jewel of the French BB line) and Bourgogne. I'll also add the values of the old Alsace for flavor's sake.

In the gunnery department, the current Alsace has a reload of 32s and a sigma of 1.6; the old Alsace had the standard 30s and a sigma of 1.7 with both having a range of 20.3 with a dispersion of 264; and Bourgogne has the MB Reload Booster, a 28s reload, and a sigma of 1.8 with a dispersion of 309 at 24.8km.

There I'm done.

No seriously, the only difference between Alsace and Bourgogne is some range and the gunnery buffs (which aren't all that impressive when stacked against Old Al). I'm really glad that she's probably still in the first phase of testing.

Edit: Okay turns out Bore gets a buffed Speed Boost (+15% speed), but that's not a whole lot. They also say the AA can change, but we'll see. AA in general is going to change with the CV rework (goes off to send up fervent prayers that direct squadron control indicates a possibility to control a CV's "secondary" battery).

It'd be nice to know what Wargaming is trying to do with these things since that would probably effect how they're viewed. Tech Tree Replacements: They should be neither good nor bad; Free XP/Coal: They should stand out a little; Steel: Something on the level of Flint or Stalingrad.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,732 posts
8,274 battles
1 hour ago, Dareios said:

isnt hermes only for T7/8s?

It's only T7 + Richelieu .

Kinda like Dynamo which is T6-7 + Cossack

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,139 posts
14,547 battles

There is no point in comparing JB to Richelieu, BG (Bourgogne) to Alsace when they're sitting 1 tier higher than their sister.  You're better off comparing them to their same nation counterpart for the tier, i.e. JB to Alsace, BG to Republique.  Jean Bart is never going to be able to beat up on lowly Tier VI ships like Richelieu is able to.  BG is going to be dealing with nothing but Yamatos, Montanas, Conquerors, Zaos, Hindenburgs, Yueyangs, etc with her piddly 380mm guns, and will not beat up on lowly Tier VII like Alsace will be able to.

As for Jean Bart, Bourgogne, I'm very neutral on those.  For one, my resources are being horded for something else.  Secondly, IMO, JB compared to Alsace in Tier IX, and BG to Republique in Tier X, don't look too good compared to the Tech Tree ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Bad 1

Sign in to follow this