You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

New Turret Mounted Recon Planes

11 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,164 posts
15,055 battles

Hi

Way back when The Texas came out and the ad had advertised the turret mounted plane on board I was excited as was one of the few ships that still carried them there, of course a lot of other ships did too for instance The Scharnhorst class did during its 1939 configuration however by time they and others got into the planes had been moved to other positions.

So anyway when i got Texas only to find she did not have her turret mounted plane I was disappointed to say the least.

WG  reason that the technology was not there in game for it to function on the turret or something to that nature but they were working on it and earlier this year they announced that it indeed turret mounted planes would be coming soon.

Fast forward to this current patch and voila we have those planes now fitted to turrets, great love it.

So anyway as the generally community knows turrets can be destroyed or incapacitated and though its been quite some time since any of my ships have had destroyed turrets but I get  guns incapacitated like everyone quite often.

Now I may have missed the memo that came out explaining what happens if a gun is knock out either temporarily or permanently, how does that effect the working of the Recon plane. 

In theory if the gun is hit and damaged the planes launch ramp is as well, so does the Recon plane have to wait for the Turret to repair when it is incapacitated and if the turret is completely destroyed is the Recon plane nonoperational permanently or has this situation been glossed over and the plane will fly turret damaged or not. 

So if one of the DEVs or someone in the know can explain the mechanics of the new operating function for the turret mounted plane i would be grateful.

Regards

[PVE]
Members
9,677 posts
7,466 battles

From the 7.9 patch notes, here are all the BBs that get turret mounted catapults with spotting aircraft.

Ships König, Bayern (hull B), Wyoming (hull B), New York, Texas, and Iron Duke get catapults on the main turrets. Also, all these ships acquire the Spotting Aircraft consumable with the following characteristics:

Main Battery Firing Range: +20%.
Action time of the consumable: 100 seconds.
Reload time: 360 seconds for Spotting Aircraft I and 240 seconds for Spotting Aircraft II.
Battleships König, Wyoming, New York, and Texas will have 2 charges of the Spotting Aircraft I consumable and 3 charges of the Spotting Aircraft II consumable. Battleships Iron Duke and Bayern will have 3 charges of the Spotting Aircraft I consumable and 4 charges of the Spotting Aircraft II consumable.

Edited by Kizarvexis
spelling
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,164 posts
15,055 battles
7 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

From the 7.9 patch notes, here are all the BBs that get turret mounted catapults with spotting aircraft.

Ships König, Bayern (hull B), Wyoming (hull B), New York, Texas, and Iron Duke get catapults on the main turrets. Also, all these ships acquire the Spotting Aircraft consumable with the following characteristics:

Main Battery Firing Range: +20%.
Action time of the consumable: 100 seconds.
Reload time: 360 seconds for Spotting Aircraft I and 240 seconds for Spotting Aircraft II.
Battleships König, Wyoming, New York, and Texas will have 2 charges of the Spotting Aircraft I consumable and 3 charges of the Spotting Aircraft II consumable. Battleships Iron Duke and Bayern will have 3 charges of the Spotting Aircraft I consumable and 4 charges of the Spotting Aircraft II consumable.

Thanks for that I know how they work what I want know will they still work if the turret is hit or not.

cheers 

[PVE]
Members
9,677 posts
7,466 battles
3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Thanks for that I know how they work what I want know will they still work if the turret is hit or not.

cheers 

That I don't know.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,103 battles

If I were a betting man I'd say that catapult and turret are completely separate. Way WG simplifies things, and the fact we can't knock out things like Smoke Generators, Radar, Hydro, etc turret destroyed, plane still functions. Plus It would depend potentially on the way the turret is destroyed in reality given a round through the side could wreck the turret beyond repair at sea but not influence the catapult enough to actually render it unusable. 

[POP]
Members
1,164 posts
15,055 battles
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

That I don't know.

all good  may have to do a test in training room thanks again :Smile_honoring:

[POP]
Members
1,164 posts
15,055 battles
7 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

If I were a betting man I'd say that catapult and turret are completely separate. Way WG simplifies things, and the fact we can't knock out things like Smoke Generators, Radar, Hydro, etc turret destroyed, plane still functions. Plus It would depend potentially on the way the turret is destroyed in reality given a round through the side could wreck the turret beyond repair at sea but not influence the catapult enough to actually render it unusable. 

I suspect this as well  however it would have added just a bit of realism in my mind anyway if a turret is hit then the plane has to wait for said turret to repair or if if turret is completely destroyed  plane becomes nonoperational.

But of course being a arcade game that might have been a bit to much in terms of realism and your are quite correct that a shell through the side of the turret may only effect the gun.

cheers

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles

I doubt that the plane functionality is tied to the turret. Plane launching is a consumable, the actual launching is only a graphic. It would be surprising if the consumable availability was tied to the turret status. By that same logic, you could only launch the plane if the turret was trained out, which I highly doubt is the case. So the short answer is no, the 14in shell that destroyed the turret did nothing to the catapult and plane on top:Smile_teethhappy:

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,685 posts
8,130 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

Since we can shoot down catapult planes, it be nice if wg could model those sensors destructable; if only temporarily

[SIMP]
Members
1,020 posts

Well...

Currently, the Spotter Plane on the Texas's turret catapult is invisible until it is launched. So does that make it immune? :cap_wander_2:

Also, Texas has a big 'ol spinning radar antenna on top of it, but no radar consumable.

By logical deduction, that means that invisible consumable objects work 100% of the time and can't be damaged (Spotter Plane). But visible consumable objects don't work and are non-functional (Radar). :cap_haloween:

Did that answer your question?