You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Madman7

50% overpens

8 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,287 battles

Played a few battles tonight in my NC and Tirp and noticed that I have roughly a 50% overpen rate based on the total number of hits for every battle played. Is that normal, having a 50% over pen rate? 

Really frustrating playing BBs because of the long reload... seeing a salvo land hits that are just overpens. Does not matter if I am shooting BBs, CAs, or DDs. 

Members
366 posts
5,184 battles

Let's just ignore the outright deletions, citadel chunking, full pens, idiot proof armor and hp, gun overmatch mechanics, and most forgiving playstyle.

Instead, let's complain about not dealing tons of damage every time you click on an enemy.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 4

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,689 battles
1 minute ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Let's just ignore the outright deletions, citadel chunking, full pens, idiot proof armor and hp, gun overmatch mechanics, and most forgiving playstyle.

Instead, let's complain about not dealing tons of damage every time you click on an enemy.

For a less snarky reply, yes, it matters greatly what you are shooting at.  Shooting at DDs will result in the most overpens, then CAs/CVs, and lastly BBs.  The thinner the armor, the more overpens you will tend to have.  That's why you should generally fire HE at DDs, if you get the chance to load those in.

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,634 battles

It is normal due to BB dispersion at range.

A perfectly aimed salvo can give you 1 citadel, 2 pens and 3 overpens. That is 50% overpens but still tons of damage dealt.

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,287 battles
42 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

I'm sorry, was I complaining? I was asking if 50% over pen was normal. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,169 posts
14,605 battles

Against DDs you'll get lots of Overpens but the damage is still substantial.

Against Cruisers, you need to aim a bit lower.

Against BBs, aim waterline in general if you got the broadside, otherwise if you aim higher  you'll shoot right through the superstructure at broadside firing angles.

Even then with proper aim, it's still RNG :Smile_popcorn:I had my Musashi in an ambushing spot today, anticipating a Yamato to come around an island corner.  The Yammie did come, gun range was 4km.  And at that range, my Musashi's entire 6 fwd gun salvo fired low into the water, or above the turrets, completely missing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,287 battles
54 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

For a less snarky reply, yes, it matters greatly what you are shooting at.  Shooting at DDs will result in the most overpens, then CAs/CVs, and lastly BBs.  The thinner the armor, the more overpens you will tend to have.  That's why you should generally fire HE at DDs, if you get the chance to load those in.

Thanks for the response. The majority of my shots are at BB and CA targets. I realize DDs will most likely over pen with AP. 

Overpening a BB is the most frustrating. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles
55 minutes ago, Madman7 said:

The majority of my shots are at BB and CA targets.

Overpens against BBs are usually because you shot through the superstructure, or broadside bow or stern. Superstructure is just thin all over, but the bow and stern when broadside are thin enough that your shots will also go through to the other side before detonating (especially the bow, due to the taper).

Against broadside CAs and CLs, BB rounds at close range are very likely to either citadel or overpen, and only rarely get a regular pen. At those ranges, you want to aim slightly low (slightly under the waterline), because you actually need the water to slow down your shells so they explode inside the target.