You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

USS Arizona and HMS Hood

71 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,132 battles

Got to admit I have a hard time pulling the trigger on these girls when they're in my sights.

Maybe it's because I'm a Yank because I have no such hesitation on the Bismark or Yamato. :Smile_glasses:

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
622 posts

I have both.

I regret buying Hood.  Never regretted Arizona.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,536 posts
4,419 battles

I have Hood. It works great for me and my playstyle.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
500 posts
5,594 battles
8 minutes ago, jmanII said:

I have both.

I regret buying Hood.  Never regretted Arizona.

Agreed. Hood is the definition of buyers remorse. Wasn't worth my wife b***hing at me for buying the bundle....

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,032 battles

[carefully notes OP's IGN for future battles in Arizona...]

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

About as opposite as two "battleships" could be.  I enjoy both very much.

-R

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
291 posts
358 battles
22 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

Got to admit I have a hard time pulling the trigger on these girls when they're in my sights.

Maybe it's because I'm a Yank because I have no such hesitation on the Bismark or Yamato. :Smile_glasses:

Both suffered such horrible fates. I can see where your coming from.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,233 posts
12,772 battles

Arizona is a solid, dependable purchase you can't really go wrong with.

Hood not so much.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,744 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

Hood not so much.

I really wish that they'd do something to make the Hood's guns more enjoyable.  Honestly, this is a gripe I have about many premium ships.  "Unenjoyable" guns is the biggest failing IMO for so many premium cruisers and battleships (and the occasional DD).  As long as a premium ship's main guns are enjoyable to use, it's easy to overlook weaknesses in other areas … usually.  (There are or could be exceptions.)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,589 battles

If they gave the Hood the Torpedoes that were actually there... Seriously.. the excuse is lame. All torpedoes use gyroscopic steering - regardless of what angle they are launched.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,010 posts
9,062 battles
36 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

I like Hood, but I like a lot ships that many people hate. She’s fast and really durable. Her guns have their strengths, but they are her weak point. They are accurate, have excellent autobounce angles, and do good damage. However, they have low muzzle velocity, short range, poor 2x4 layout, won’t overmatch 27mm bows, and only 8 guns total. These detractors cause her to be unforgiving towards poor gunnery. Her short AP fusetime  can be a double edged sword - while it might turn an overpen into a regular, it might rob you of a citadel.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,665 posts
9,071 battles
46 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

About as opposite as two "battleships" could be.  I enjoy both very much.

-R

42 minutes ago, Lert said:

Hood not so much.

The Arizona is an American standard BB so its play style is familiar to anyone that has gone up the US BB line past the SC knows how to play it. The Hood is solid but is harder to play well.

[ICE9]
Members
835 posts

I have both, with no regrets.

Arizona is a rock-solid gunboat. Excellent main guns, and while AA is weak, in a survival build she's a fun brawler.

Hood is a vastly different critter. Plays much more like a light cruiser than a BB (well, she was a battle cruiser after all...) but with proper angling can be very tanky. The guns are not as good as the Warspites, so I play her at middle ranges. She excels at cruiser hunting and DD support.

I guess it all comes down to your style.

[WOLF5]
Members
277 posts
5,221 battles

I play most co-ops and operations and the Hood is a pretty good ship for those battles.  It is pretty fast and can zip around the map, useful in operations like the Ultimate Frontier (now much easier and no longer the Ultimate F.U.).  The bulk of enemy ships in operations is mainly made up of cruisers and destroyers and the Hood works really nice against them.

[O_O]
Members
4,420 posts
9,575 battles
1 hour ago, jmanII said:

I have both.  I regret buying Hood.  Never regretted Arizona.

1 hour ago, HeathenForay said:

Agreed. Hood is the definition of buyers remorse. Wasn't worth my wife b***hing at me for buying the bundle....

1 hour ago, Lert said:

Arizona is a solid, dependable purchase you can't really go wrong with.  Hood not so much.

I don't think this was the point of the OP's post.

Perhaps he is thinking about purchasing one or the other, but I don't think that was the purpose.

[STW-M]
Members
2,077 posts
5,874 battles

Hood (which I don't have) seems to be an interesting ship, perfectly capable of doing well with its anti-cruiser/destroyer guns, speed, and AA but underpowered if sailed incorrectly.

Arizona may not have quite the punch of New Mexico, but she has the accuracy to make it count, a very heavy broadside, and a [edited]-ton of armor that, when correctly angled, can take a ton of punishment.

5ba3f0e08c79d_ScreenShot2018-09-18at10_33_01PM.thumb.png.a1f7af970c8fbee31fbaa57acbad52c3.png

Never change, Ari. Never change.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,142 posts
14,547 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

If they gave the Hood the Torpedoes that were actually there... Seriously.. the excuse is lame. All torpedoes use gyroscopic steering - regardless of what angle they are launched.

You are completely wrong.  Hood's speed makes her one of the best torpedoes in the game.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[YARRR]
Members
401 posts
4,759 battles

Aurora_7, I understand your feelings.

I anguished over purchasing Arizona, in fact I at first was against her sale altogether.   But after a lot of thought I came to my senses and realized that it is just a pixel ship in an arcade game, and if it would encourage even one young person to learn about the history of the real Arizona, and what the real ship stands for, than that was not a bad thing.

Since I purchased her she has become my "go to" ship at T6, and one of my favorites in the game over all.

[RST]
[RST]
Members
172 posts
14,927 battles
2 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

Whoops mistake what I was reading. So my answer is.....who ever shows the weak side. Never a hesitation on who needs to be taken out. 

Edited by Shadewe

[O_O]
Members
735 posts
6,239 battles

nope...i cant fell the same...i'm an American too but hell...war has not hesitation...if that ship is with them...FIRE FIRE FIRE!!! :Smile_izmena:

last night i came against the Hood and Graf Spee....alone on the west flank with me in Tirpitz.  i truned my main guns on Graf Spee and my secondaries on Hood...Spee was more of a threat to me than Hood.  killed Spee with Main guns focused ...while my secondaries burned Hood...at the same moment Spee was destroyed the Hood was dumb enough to come into a broadside with me and got torps in her side.  pretty dumb to come that close to a Tirpitz (Shes not her sister Bismark you know). :Smile_facepalm:

so yup, have no love or hesitation in killing the enemy that is waving the same flag as my ship.  (in game of course...in realty might be different.) 

[-DOG-]
[-DOG-]
Members
40 posts
8,252 battles

Have both Arizona is good ship but slow with good guns,Hood is Iconic and purty,but the guns feel like gnienau accurracy ,without the punch.Hood really needs warspite guns ,like she really had.As she is,she is mostly a port Queen that I take into ops occasionally.

Edited by Capitan_Crunch
Spelling

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles

Arizona is a great ship, only [edited] t6 mm keeps me from wanting to play her.  That and I only play coops where battles end before she gets into battle

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,744 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

I like Hood, but I like a lot ships that many people hate. She’s fast and really durable. Her guns have their strengths, but they are her weak point. They are accurate, have excellent autobounce angles, and do good damage. However, they have low muzzle velocity, short range, poor 2x4 layout, won’t overmatch 27mm bows, and only 8 guns total. These detractors cause her to be unforgiving towards poor gunnery. Her short AP fusetime  can be a double edged sword - while it might turn an overpen into a regular, it might rob you of a citadel.

Just an FYI.  The Hood had a 4x2 layout, not 2x4.  The first number indicates the number of turrets, the second number indicates the number of guns per turret.

The Hood and Bismarck both have a 4x2 turret layout.  The French tier 10 BB, Republique, has a 2x4 turret layout.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,427 posts
9,554 battles

II have both of them and like both of them. Hood requires more skill to do well in. Arizona is reliable and simple.