Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11B4O

To Sims or not to Sims

47 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,799 battles

After consistently shooting down no less than 41 planes per battle in Dynamo I laugh when I see people take non AA boats into this OP. The Irony is Gallant is one of the worst boats to take into Dynamo. If you can get 53K commander XP in a COOP why not?

Sims captain skills that matter for this. BFT, AFT, Manual AA and take the AA module for extended AA range you can start swatting planes at 7.2 km.

World of Warships 9_20_2018 9_09_41 AM.png

World of Warships 9_20_2018 9_07_40 AM.png

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

Smoke also matters so I did Superintendent and Premium Consumables, Smoke Screen Expert would not hurt to have as well.

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles

You might have just given me a reason to dust off Sims and pull her out of port.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,579 posts
3,751 battles

Depends on the ship and player to be honest. I have found Blyska as an outlier ship to be quite capable of oneshotting the speedboats provided you narrow down the aiming.

Edited by warheart1992

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,758 posts
4,574 battles

The 5"/38 is horrible at shooting at the boats...and who keeps Mahan around fully decked out for AA if they don't have Sims, anyway?

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,338 battles
9 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

You might have just given me a reason to dust off Sims and pull her out of port.

Worked for me, I only have an 11 point commander so I don't even have BFT or AFT yet and I still swatted between 20 and 41 planes out of the sky.

Might want to use any FXP signals and flags you have as well.:cap_like:

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,799 battles
11 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

It's been trollish fun so far. In 8 Dynamo battles my lowest plane total was 41 and that was with 3 other Sims on my team.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,799 battles
4 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

The 5"/38 is horrible at shooting at the boats...and who keeps Mahan around fully decked out for AA if they don't have Sims, anyway?

Learn to aim and they work just fine. The Schnelleboots hardly manuever.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,314 battles

I don't take Sims I often take Gallant...because I'm waiting for the cooldown on Sims and Monaghan before being able to use them again.

Beta Testers
1,055 posts
13,833 battles
1 hour ago, IronMike11B4O said:

After consistently shooting down no less than 41 planes per battle in Dynamo I laugh when I see people take non AA boats into this OP. The Irony is Gallant is one of the worst boats to take into Dynamo. If you can get 53K commander XP in a COOP why not?

Sims captain skills that matter for this. BFT, AFT, Manual AA and take the AA module for extended AA range you can start swatting planes at 7.2 km.

World of Warships 9_20_2018 9_09_41 AM.png

World of Warships 9_20_2018 9_07_40 AM.png

You will have to give me your secret.

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles
56 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

I don't take Sims I often take Gallant...because I'm waiting for the cooldown on Sims and Monaghan before being able to use them again.

But even without DFAA active, Sims is still a better AA platform than Gallant on any given day.

Members
524 posts
3,696 battles

Sims is the best carry bote.  Lots of folks are not speccing AA or simply don't have it to use.  The Sims can average 50-70 planes per Op...easily.   The guns are great.  Smoke is long.  It's practically a perfect fit.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,314 battles
10 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

But even without DFAA active, Sims is still a better AA platform than Gallant on any given day.

Finish reading my post

[WOLF6]
Members
678 posts
3,837 battles

I take Monaghan, Mahan, Icarus -   only because I'm grinding the Monaghan mission (and getting my 10-point commander to 19-points -  215k commander XP in just six Dynamo games actually) and grinding Mahan and Icarus to get the Benson and Jervis.   By the time I'm through the rotation, Monaghan is off cooldown and I can play and repeat.

The British Icarus DD absolutely sucks at this operation.  non-existent AA - still manage to shoot down 1 or 2 Jerries with the 1.5km AA.  and I haven't figured out how to make the guns work - turret rotation can't keep up with maneuvers. But got 5 kills with just 8 target hits. The smoke is too short.  (10 second deploy - 30 second duration) not like the Perth/Haida moving smoke cloud.

Edited by wtfovr

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,338 battles
1 hour ago, LubzinNJ said:

I just paid the silver fee to go again right away. It is much less silver than I earn per round so it has worked out for me so far.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,314 battles
1 minute ago, MasterDiggs said:

I just paid the silver fee to go again right away. It is much less silver than I earn per round so it has worked out for me so far.

Ahh silly me. I did not realize that was something you could do.

Still though, I've had good success with Gallant and I am training a captain for the British DD line. Maybe not shooting down a lot of planes but taking out tons of S-boats.

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles
17 hours ago, Uber_Ghost said:

Sims is the best carry bote.  Lots of folks are not speccing AA or simply don't have it to use.  The Sims can average 50-70 planes per Op...easily.   The guns are great.  Smoke is long.  It's practically a perfect fit.

Glad to see the old girl get some love and use again.  She's one of the oldest premiums in the game and has been much overshadowed with all the other additions to T7.  She was the first premium ship I ever owned, so there will always be a soft spot in me for her.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,228 battles
10 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Glad to see the old girl get some love and use again.  She's one of the oldest premiums in the game and has been much overshadowed with all the other additions to T7.  She was the first premium ship I ever owned, so there will always be a soft spot in me for her.

She is an often overlooked premium by players. I like to think of her as a mini Atlanta, she is wonderful once you learn to use her sea mines. I have never bothered with her short range torps honestly. Her built in xp bonus is a nice advantage making her a great captain trainer as well as a good star saver in Ranked battles. All my 19 point captains including my CV captain, have spent time grinding xp in co-op at the helm of Sims.

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles
11 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

She is an often overlooked premium by players. I like to think of her as a mini Atlanta, she is wonderful once you learn to use her sea mines. I have never bothered with her short range torps honestly. Her built in xp bonus is a nice advantage making her a great captain trainer as well as a good star saver in Ranked battles. All my 19 point captains including my CV captain, have spent time grinding xp in co-op at the helm of Sims.

She is a great knife-fighting cap contester, with her rapid firing guns, super fast turret traverse, and excellent rudder shift.  Her slow speed torpedoes are best used for area denial than actual damage output.  I've tried the short ranged torps and they can work if you're used to doing yolo ambush runs in Farragut, but they are very situational.

People also forget that she has a built-in XP bonus over other premiums, which makes her an excellent choice in T7 Ranked seasons.

Members
316 posts
9,462 battles

I have always and always will love the Sims. 

She was my first Premium. I have learned so much just by playing her. 

Took the Sims on the op..........48 planes shot down w/o any captains perks, modules or flags.  changed everything up........forget about it, she ate the planes like skittles

Members
60 posts
10,602 battles

Looking forward in trying out my Sims tonight. Last night I took my 10pt Monaghan, with AFT, BFT, AR with upgrades modules for AA. Took out 81planes and only 2 boats was 3 on the list. Biggest draw back of the Monaghan is no rear facing guns to deal with the boats and only 2 guns to boot.

Sign in to follow this