You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
khaenn35

Warspite: Yes or No?

29 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,374 battles

Am currently at a loss if I should get Warspite now.

For context, this is a very important question: 20 hours remain on the sale, and I'm completely F2P due to my finances and family opposition, I simply play quite a lot. Currently, I have 5,239 doubloons, which have been hard saved through SCs and the like, the doubloons spent having been me being a f'ing idiot.

On one hand, she is the Warspite and an excellent ship, and I love collecting them, on the other hand, she is stuck in a horrible MM level and she won't net me much commander XP or credits, not that I am too short of them. Plus, I am not at all certain if I can get the Royal Navy crates and Sovereigns necessary to make the profit I wish from the doubloons, since it's my finals exam period and I will almost certainly miss many of them.

The consensus seems to be almost 50/50, the Forums in favour while Discord and the unicums say no.

So, my friends: Please break this tie for me.

Aye or Nay to Warspite?

Spoiler

Reposted from Reddit, for everything to be clear. Need more opinions because I'm at a complete loss.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,386 posts
9,538 battles

Warspite is always a yes. One of the best lets play chicken BB's out there. 

• Bad 1

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,214 battles

Warspite is one of the most fun ships in the game IMHO.  It is one of my key go to ships when I just want to have some fun.  It is a solid credit earner and RN BB trainer, but not outstanding in those roles due to the lower tier.  It is obviously an important historical ship.  For all of these reasons, I would say that if you enjoy BB play, you should get Warspite.

• Bad 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts

No. Was fantastic ship 2 years ago. Became irrelevant as T6 premium (outside of captain training) once Arizona came out. Warspite might be better than Dunkirk but that not saying much. Save your money.

Down votes? Lol. Sheesh. Truth hurts I guess.

Here is my reasoning based on a hundred or more games as a former owner. Warspite was one of the first B.B.premiums. It came out when nagato and New Mexico were ducking it out. Warspite was good back then because it was faster than new mex and could hit as hard as fuso with better accuracy. What made Warspite stand out was the super-ish heal and her decent agility. What held her back was super slow turrets with a drunk gunner in the back 2 guns and she was made out of kerosene soaked kindling wood. Well, her range was alright but not fantastic without spotter.

Warspite was also littlewhitemouse fav ship at the time. Maybe still, not sure.

Anyway, a lot has changed since back then. Armor models, shell performance, map design, a whole bunch of new ships all featuring compelling reasons to grind new lines (aka power creep). For  example the new breed of flame thrower cruisers, even low concealment DD with longer torps, fewer carriers than ever, meta changes to include island humping and more HE spam, changes to shooting from smoke in a B.B. most importantly we have the introduction of German B.B. which have hard hitting guns, ok turret speed, ok AA, decent agility, great secondaries and are nearly impossible to citadel. Then we have the French B.B. with slightly weaker guns but good agility and turret speed, great speed and good AA. Anyway, either line within a tier or 2 offers more well rounded and useful ships than Warspite. This is why I say skip it. It’s 30 bux for yesterday’s ship. Buy the zona with 50% more and better guns, better turrets, good aa, ok agility. No super heal but much better range and accuracy to keep you out of trouble a little longer.

come to think of it... save a ton of money and get yourself the KGV either with perma camo or buy tons of bonus camo and get a truely excellent British B.B. that can train and can earn.

last thought... you could also save a ton of cash and get the t6 QE with perma camo or tons of bonus camo. It’s not as good as some of its peers and far behind kgv but if you need a brit 6 she’s a smarter use of money than Warspite imho.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles
18 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

horrible MM level and she won't net me much commander XP or credits,

She will get these in Operations quite easily.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles

Warspite is available free in the Royal Navy event for Sovereigns. Play well enough and you can have her for nothing. Do your best.

Failing that, if you already have an investment in Royal Navy ships (or plan to), she will be a valuable asset for training, even if you have to run her suboptimally (e.g. with a destroyer-optimised captain).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,895 battles

Considering you can get her over the Royal Navy event for the reward tokens: yes. If you can play a bit of regular you should earn enough tokens to get her.

[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,374 battles
2 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Considering you can get her over the Royal Navy event for the reward tokens: yes. If you can play a bit of regular you should earn enough tokens to get her.

Yes, the problem is that I might not be able to get enough for her. 

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,913 battles

A most definite yes, especially since it's turret traverse buff. Still slow but manageable. It is one of my most sucessful ships and virtually prints doubloons. 

Members
1,563 posts
9,982 battles

Why are you using light grey font color on beige background? It's like using off-white text on white background. Very hard to read. What were you thinking?

Members
1,458 posts
12,318 battles

Warspite is my second favorite tier 6 BB (only behind Arizona),  is still very competitive.  I have almost 65% win rate in her, and the buff to turrets has made it even more enjoyable - always positive on credits ( even without premium)

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,292 battles
7 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

A most definite yes, especially since it's turret traverse buff. Still slow but manageable. It is one of my most sucessful ships and virtually prints doubloons. 

How does it print doubloons? I'd love to access that particular skill.

[CRMSN]
5,404 posts
3,583 battles

I love the warspite, however T6 MM is quite unforgiving. 

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,265 battles

I'd go Warspite still. The upsides are too great. 

Better Sigma, Better Repair, Better 2nd guns, Better Reload, Better turn radius. 

Sure the guns are a tad bit short ranged, but the Warspite is an in your face brawler that can wasda through any torps with huge guns. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
27 minutes ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

Warspite is one of the most fun ships in the game IMHO.  It is one of my key go to ships when I just want to have some fun.  It is a solid credit earner and RN BB trainer, but not outstanding in those roles due to the lower tier.  It is obviously an important historical ship.  For all of these reasons, I would say that if you enjoy BB play, you should get Warspite.

Yes and Warspite’s main guns are effective even against tier 8 BBs, the AP shells work really well on all  the British Premium BBs as well as Queen Elizabeth and King George V. But Warspite’s AP shells are particularly hard hitting.

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
1 hour ago, khaenn35 said:

You need 28 container. That’s less then 10 complete directives. About 2 1/2 weeks. Since you don’t need to choose, can work on multiple at the same time (I think I earned 8 containers within 3 hours today alone). And there are sometimes premium containers as rewards. The chances are good to get enough tokens for a quite small time invest.

There is also no need to hurry. If they keep the usuall New Year Sales you can get her for the same amount of gold in about 3 months. I would choose the event option before I would spend my gold.

[TASH]
Members
1,766 posts
3,991 battles

Warspite has the "Royal Navy heal" before the RN ships even had it themselves. Not as powerful but can certainly heal large amounts. 

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,214 battles

One other thought is that you can get her now for the discount.  If you get the sovereigns, then you grab Warspite in the Arsenal, and you get your doubloons back.

• Cool 1

[OPG]
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

Warspite is still the best t6 bb. They buffed her turret traverse with wd40 a while ago so now she actually has some of the best turret traverse for a t6 bb. Don't buy any of the bbs at t6 with smaller guns, not having the ability to overmatch t8 cruisers and t6 and t7 bbs hurts them far too much with how often they fight t7 and t8 ships. Warspite has no such issue.

Beta Testers
1,049 posts
13,833 battles

Am currently at a loss if I should get Warspite now.

For context, this is a very important question: 20 hours remain on the sale, and I'm completely F2P due to my finances and family opposition, I simply play quite a lot. Currently, I have 5,239 doubloons, which have been hard saved through SCs and the like, the doubloons spent having been me being a f'ing idiot.

On one hand, she is the Warspite and an excellent ship, and I love collecting them, on the other hand, she is stuck in a horrible MM level and she won't net me much commander XP or credits, not that I am too short of them. Plus, I am not at all certain if I can get the Royal Navy crates and Sovereigns necessary to make the profit I wish from the doubloons, since it's my finals exam period and I will almost certainly miss many of them.

The consensus seems to be almost 50/50, the Forums in favour while Discord and the unicums say no.

So, my friends: Please break this tie for me.

Aye or Nay to Warspite?

Reveal hidden contents

Reposted from Reddit, for everything to be clear. Need more opinions because I'm at a complete loss.

Just ask the Mouse!

Members
79 posts
20 battles

She's a really nice, no-nonsense BB. Reliable guns, decent speed for T6. Very agile. Just really comfortable to play, for lack of a better word. Does the things an old-school BB should. No gimmicks.

Note that she has stealthily good secondaries. They don't look like much on paper, but they mostly shoot forward, and fire this highish caliber HE out to 7.6 km max. I think they had some hidden accuracy buff -- they tend to hit quite well. They do more work than you'd expect.

I especially love her in T6 operations. With those murderous bots coming straight at you, good but short-ranged secondaries can be very useful.

Edited by jss78

Supertester
1,464 posts
16 battles

She may be old and a bit of a dinosaur with regards to her stats, but that gives her a few advantages, and allows a unique and powerful playstyle. Warspite is still by far my favourite T6 BB out there, she is excellent as a close-mid range brawler and engagement-forcer. Warspite is still a very good premium, and quite a well balanced one at that, it is just a pity Queen Elizabeth can't keep up. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles

She's a great Tier VI BB, one of the best for her tier.  However, MM is not kind to her as she faces Tier VII-VIII quite a lot.  Because of this, I would not spend money on her.  If you can acquire her for free, sure, why not get her?

Outside a free means on getting her, if you want an RN BB trainer, there is only one true choice.  Nelson.