You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Willy55_1955

Why on Earth London and not Portsmouth?

28 comments in this topic

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,930 battles

Of all the places for a new port, why London? Portsmouth is and always has been, the hallmark port for the British navy. With historical ships such as HMS Victory and HMS Warrior as a backdrop, how much more appropriate it would have been to have Portsmouth instead of London as a British port.

Edited by Willy55_1955
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles

When I saw the title I thought to answer "Because it's a British arc, you twit!" But when I read the text, I saw you had a very, very valid point. So... my apologies for the misjudgement. Either Plymouth for the reasons stated or Scapa with the battlefleet at anchor in the background.

Your post MIGHT however be better titled "Why London and not Plymouth?"

[HINON]
Supertester
19,233 posts
12,772 battles

Because the London port already existed in the game files. You have a very good point in asking why they implemented London over Plymouth Portsmouth to begin with, and that is an answer I can't even begin to question. Or something like that.

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,930 battles

I also noticed, at least for the first 3 ships I looked at, are brownish in color, not gray, e.g. HMS Gallant and my Shimakaze. Whats up with the color shift?

Members
906 posts
10 battles
8 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Of all the places for a new port, why London? Plymouth is and always has been, the hallmark port for the British navy. With historical ships such as HMS Victory and HMS Warrior as a backdrop, how much more appropriate it would have been to have Plymouth instead of London as a British port.

I would guess that London has a lot of famous landmarks that people who are not from the UK would know. I would have no idea what Plymouth looks like and I had no idea it was a major Royal Navy hub.

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,930 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

When I saw the title I thought to answer "Because it's a British arc, you twit!" But when I read the text, I saw you had a very, very valid point. So... my apologies for the misjudgement. Either Plymouth for the reasons stated or Scapa with the battlefleet at anchor in the background.

Your post MIGHT however be better titled "Why London and not Plymouth?"

Thanks. I took your advice and edited the title.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
1 minute ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I would guess that London has a lot of famous landmarks that people who are not from the UK would know. I would have no idea what Plymouth looks like and I had no idea it was a major Royal Navy hub.

Hence my alternative suggestion of Scapa Flow (or perhaps even Rosyth). You surely can't be in this game for a very significant length of time without knowing what that is and why, and even if you didn't, the sight of multiple warships at moorings in the background would soon clue you in. In any case, I don't remember seeing any port in the world that has a large dragon in it... so offering Plymouth as a choice to RN fans who want it seems more than acceptable. In any case, there is enough publicity surrounding the release of new ports that a paragraph or two would serve to explain adequately to newcomers.

Modder
1,092 posts
16 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Of all the places for a new port, why London? Plymouth is and always has been, the hallmark port for the British navy. With historical ships such as HMS Victory and HMS Warrior as a backdrop, how much more appropriate it would have been to have Plymouth instead of London as a British port.

You're thinking of Portsmouth, not Plymouth however Plymouth would still make for a great port ingame.

Spoiler

AP7mv.jpg

AP7nk.png

plym.jpg

6 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Devonport is the largest naval base in Western Europe. Not just a major Royal Navy hub.

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
316 posts
4,696 battles
22 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Victory and Warrior are located at HMNB Portsmouth and not Plymouth which is a different base 170 miles away. For what it's worth I agree there are other bases/ports with stronger ties to the RN which would of made a better choice than London, but this is an international game and London is far more recognisable for your average casual player compared to Portsmouth, Plymouth or Chatham.

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,930 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Hence my alternative suggestion of Scapa Flow (or perhaps even Rosyth). You surely can't be in this game for a very significant length of time without knowing what that is and why, and even if you didn't, the sight of multiple warships at moorings in the background would soon clue you in. In any case, I don't remember seeing any port in the world that has a large dragon in it... so offering Plymouth as a choice to RN fans who want it seems more than acceptable. In any case, there is enough publicity surrounding the release of new ports that a paragraph or two would serve to explain adequately to newcomers.

Anyone with any sense of naval history would know Scapa Flow from the scuttling of the WWI German battle fleet and the torpedoing of HMS Royal Oak by U-47 in WWII.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
Just now, Willy55_1955 said:

Anyone with any sense of naval history would know Scapa Flow from the scuttling of the WWI German battle fleet and the torpedoing of HMS Royal Oak by U-47 in WWII.

True. And even if they were just a random stranger looking for variety in a shooter, with no history whatsoever, the visuals would very clearly scream "British Naval Base".

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
316 posts
4,696 battles

The problem with Scapa Flow is that it was an anchorage rather than a port or base. It would be pretty bland ingame as all you would see is some water and a few barren looking islands.

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,930 battles
10 minutes ago, zFireWyvern said:

You're thinking of Portsmouth, not Plymouth however Plymouth would still make for a great port ingame.

Reveal hidden contents

AP7mv.jpg

AP7nk.png

plym.jpg

Devonport is the largest naval base in Western Europe. Not just a major Royal Navy hub.

OMG, you are so right! I got my P's mixed up. Edited the title, again, and my post. Thanks for the alert.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,233 posts
12,772 battles
3 minutes ago, Monty9185 said:

The problem with Scapa Flow is that it was an anchorage rather than a port or base. It would be pretty bland ingame as all you would see is some water and a few barren looking islands.

Simple solution: Implement Scapa Flow from 1 day after the scuttling of the German Fleet. Half sunk German warships everywhere.

• Cool 1

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
316 posts
4,696 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

True. And even if they were just a random stranger looking for variety in a shooter, with no history whatsoever, the visuals would very clearly scream "British Naval Base".

What visuals?! There was nothing there! No dry docks, no permanent buildings nothing. Just a few blockships, torpedo nets and the odd AAA battery. If you want Iconic Scapa Flow is not the location you are looking for.

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

I always assumed famous city + Belfast museum. Makes me wonder if The Sullivans appears in the New York port now that I think on it.  

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
316 posts
4,696 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Simple solution: Implement Scapa Flow from 1 day after the scuttling of the German Fleet. Half sunk German warships everywhere.

That's probably the only way you could make it half interesting, otherwise it was a barren featureless part of the Northern British Isles.

Edited by Monty9185

[NMKJT]
Members
2,732 posts
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

And it would be a change from all the city ports

[PLPT]
Members
636 posts
6,830 battles
58 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Of all the places for a new port, why London? Portsmouth is and always has been, the hallmark port for the British navy. With historical ships such as HMS Victory and HMS Warrior as a backdrop, how much more appropriate it would have been to have Portsmouth instead of London as a British port.

Same with the US Atlantic fleet. They put boats in New York’s East River, nowhere near where the Brooklyn naval yard was. It’s nothing about history; it’s about looking good.

Edited by n00bot

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,930 battles
2 hours ago, Monty9185 said:

Victory and Warrior are located at HMNB Portsmouth and not Plymouth which is a different base 170 miles away. For what it's worth I agree there are other bases/ports with stronger ties to the RN which would of made a better choice than London, but this is an international game and London is far more recognisable for your average casual player compared to Portsmouth, Plymouth or Chatham.

Chatham has the doubious honor of being the site of one of the Royal Navy's worst defeats in it's history. In the later 1660's the Dutch sailed up the Medway and burned the ships at anchor, burned the Chatham shipyard and towed the British flagship Royal Charles out and back to the Netherlands. It threw the English in panic and they sunk a number of captial ships in an effort to block the Dutch progress. They have a diddy for that: 

"Of all our navy none should now survive,
But that the ships themselves were taught to dive"

The English lost 13 ships, the Dutch none other than their fireships.

Supertester
1,464 posts
16 battles

US: Hawaii, Naval Station, New York
UK: London
Japan: Zipangu
France: Marseilles
Germany: Hamburg
Russia: St Petersburg, Kronstadt, Black Sea
Philippines: Pan-Asia / USA

Hopefully I haven't missed any, but after a major city location that isn't exactly of historical merit, WG moved onto more historical sites. At least when it comes to Kronstadt and Naval Station. 

So there should be more hope for Portsmouth, Plymouth/Devonport, Rosyth/Firth of Forth etc. as second UK based ports. Even Scapa Flow has it's merits if WG make it a hive of activity with various RN ships at anchor or moving about. Kronstadt isn't anything too special afterall.