Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Feclez

Crates question

11 comments in this topic

[FEC]
Members
61 posts
2,268 battles

I know this might be a topic of contention so please keep it civil...

Question is what is going to happen here with WG about Crates after and if EA lose the case on the crates being  form of gambling??

TBH had I have not spent £40 on 20 crates to only get 1 DD quest come out of them I probably wouldnt be asking or posting this - hence gambling

Edited by Feclez

[SF-3]
Members
1,507 posts
8,107 battles

I suspect, in those countries where it is out-lawed they will have to pull them from the shop. OTOH, a lot of the crates they sell have specific items in them, so not gambling per se, but maybe the santa crates would be considered gambling. We will wait and see.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles

The crates in this game aren't a way to buy power. WG might have to reconsider selling them outright, but the crates they give away freely for reaching specific XP milestones per day shouldn't be affected since people don't pay for those.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
13 minutes ago, Feclez said:

Question is what is going to happen here with WG about Crates after and if EA lose the case on the crates being  form of gambling??

I think the problem with the EA crates was that in the Star Wars game at least, their contents were essential to the player having any real fighting chance.

The crates in this current event contain the chance at unlocking a ship which would eventually be yours for nothing just by playing the game. Thus it could be argued by WG that anyone who bought them specifically for ship unlocks was all on their own. However, if @AdmiralThunder is right, there is either a break-even or very small gain situation for the flags/camos based on their in-game doubloon value. So there is monetary value in the crates over and above the chance, and they would not be affected.

However, as @Lert has pointed out, WG crates do not contain chance elements that are absolutely essential to being victorious or even doing well in the overall game.

[FEC]
Members
61 posts
2,268 battles

I know for me I am in my LAW studies, so with this whole issue I sit on the fence and look at both sides

Yes as @Ensign_Cthulhu says ships are able to be got from crates free within the game is a good thing, but soon as you then pay money for something for a chance to get an item it is them deem to be gambling on that chance/fact to achieve it.

It does not really matter if it is giving you a better chance to win etc, its more for the fact at actually getting something within the game and that is the only option to get it, in this case the only way to get a ship in WG in this case is via a crate, but there is still a gamble being done even though you can get the crate for FREE or you PAY for that chance.

Now for myself I will admit I am quite willing to buy NEW ships on the Store and even purchase a lot of things from the game and also spend a lot on it, but question I always ask myself even after buying crates and getting the 1 quest from 3$0 worth is wth did I do that, I could have put £40 on a football team and had a 50/50 chance to get the win  

Edited by Feclez

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,831 posts
1,327 battles
39 minutes ago, Feclez said:

I know this might be a topic of contention so please keep it civil...

TBH had I have not spent £40 on 20 crates to only get 1 DD quest come out of them I probably wouldnt be asking or posting this - hence gambling

It's only in Belgium at the moment.  

WG is, well, WG, but they're not EA.

WG's crates pretty much always give at least face value, and usually quite a bit more, often double or triple.  As Thunder said, these were unusual for only being near the value of what you paid for.  Consider that in 20 crates, that he paid ~$54 for, he was able to get enough anniversary tokens to get Warspite and Gallant, or doubloon price for same.  That alone is near what he paid for 20 crates, let alone the camo and flags.  The bonus missions are just that. Bonus.

I wouldn't pay EA for crates, either.  But I don't know if I'd want to write legislation for it.  I don't trust the governments any more than I trust EA.

Also, to me, it should be up to me if I buy crates or not.  Hell, if governments are willing to run lotteries under government control, why shouldn't they allow the buyer to decide on crates?  If it's a bad deal, well, then let people make their own decisions.  If they're too stupid, that's not my fault.  Lotteries are a tax on people who are bad at math, imo.

Question for anyone with EU knowledge: Does Belgium run or allow lotteries in Belgium?  Just curious.

Edited by mavfin87

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
3 minutes ago, Feclez said:

but there is still a gamble being done even though you can get the crate for FREE or you PAY for that chance.

If the unlock was all the crate gave you, that would be true. But with goods inside to the same monetary value, you are actually getting something (to the extent that these ships, flags etc. are anything) for your money.

[FEC]
Members
61 posts
2,268 battles
6 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

he was able to get enough anniversary tokens to get Warspite and Gallant

And how many people in the last year+ have already got these 2 ships?? if they was to drop from the crate too you would get dubloons for them

if you was to pay the soveriegns for them, if you have them does it give dubloons?

Im not trying to be contentious or anything rather than trying to be totally open minded and sit on the fence to it all

For example I already have the Gallant and Warspite, I bought the camo for the Gallant and it says I now already have this item... and now sat here with over 300 sov's which tbh I would rather have a convertion to Guineas to get the cossack

Edited by Feclez

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,831 posts
1,327 battles
1 minute ago, Feclez said:

And how many people in the last year+ have already got these 2 ships?? if they was to drop from the crate too you would get dubloons for them

if you was to pay the soveriegns for them, if you have them does it give dubloons?

Im not trying to be contentious or anything rather than trying to be totally open minded and sit on the fence to it all

Yes, if they had the ships (I do and Thunder did) you got doubloons.  There was a small issue where Warspite wasn't giving full doubloon value yesterday at first, because she was on sale, but WG fixed it and paid up full value on it.  

To me, WG crates and EA crates are different items, and should not be treated under a blanket law written by someone with a political axe to grind.  But, I don't live in Belgium, so I'm just an observer.

I do agree that the EA crates are the worst type of them, really.  I still think that it's an issue for stupid buyers, not one the government should stick their nose into.

[FEC]
Members
61 posts
2,268 battles
1 minute ago, mavfin87 said:

Yes, if they had the ships (I do and Thunder did) you got doubloons.  There was a small issue where Warspite wasn't giving full doubloon value yesterday at first, because she was on sale, but WG fixed it and paid up full value on it.  

To me, WG crates and EA crates are different items, and should not be treated under a blanket law written by someone with a political axe to grind.  But, I don't live in Belgium, so I'm just an observer.

I do agree that the EA crates are the worst type of them, really.  I still think that it's an issue for stupid buyers, not one the government should stick their nose into.

And there I totally agree with you

But my sit on the fence attitude and looking at both sides of an argument, specially in a case like this is really difficult due to the EASY if not easier accessibility to that gamble aspect.

I think even though it is just Belgium at moment bring the case, its also know a lot more countries are starting to get on board and the movement is growing really fast to get a ban or reduction in some way on them in any format

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,831 posts
1,327 battles
3 minutes ago, Feclez said:

And there I totally agree with you

But my sit on the fence attitude and looking at both sides of an argument, specially in a case like this is really difficult due to the EASY if not easier accessibility to that gamble aspect.

I think even though it is just Belgium at moment bring the case, its also know a lot more countries are starting to get on board and the movement is growing really fast to get a ban or reduction in some way on them in any format

I wouldn't mind legislating stuff against EA, because they are a particularly egregious example imo, but, I don't trust any government or politicians to do that w/o dragging a whole bunch of other crap in that doesn't need to be touched.  I think the less harm path is to let the stupid buyers beware.  If you're going to legislate things because people buy things they shouldn't, luxury video game crates probably shouldn't top the list.

Sign in to follow this