You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

We Need a New Stat to Track

16 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,087 battles

I realize this might be difficult to add but I think it would be possible especially since we now have a potential damage counter. 

The hit ratio of main battery and torpedoes is in the game and can let you know how you are doing compared to others. Yes there is a difference based on which lines you prefer to play but in general you can look at them and see you have decent accuracy. I think it would be a great idea to add some sort of torpedos landed on your ship vs fired at you. This is mainly for BB’s but could apply to all *types. Simply put if someone targets you and fires 8 torps, if 2 land you would have a 20% hit by torps. It would be an easy way for someone to look and think “oh I need to work on WASD.” It would also need to include torps not launched at you but that go nearby. Kind of like the current potential damage counter. 

Just a thought. Don’t know if it is even possible to add or if it would be considered but it could be a stat that helps people improve. 

Edited by Belyy_Klyk
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,288 posts
12,830 battles
11 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

The hit ratio of main battery and torpedoes

Are meaningless stats. I'd rather hit 25% out of 50 shots taken than 50% out of 10 shots taken. What does it matter how many shots you hit out of every 100 taken, when you can already see how much damage you do per game at what tier, and how often that leads to victory?

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,087 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Are meaningless stats. I'd rather hit 25% out of 50 shots taken than 50% out of 10 shots taken. What does it matter how many shots you hit out of every 100 taken, when you can already see how much damage you do per game at what tier, and how often that leads to victory?

I agree with you. It’s a mostly meaningless stat but you can look and see your accuracy. Just kind of threw it in there since it’s similar. A % tracker showing hits to misses even though it is much simpler than a “dodged torps” stat. 

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,746 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

His suggested additional stats have more value compared to what is in place for the very reason you suggest. Although I'm sure the suiciding derps who have a disturbingly high percentage of torpedo hits on themselves would rationalize it that they are playing the objective and those with low percentages are campers hiding in the back.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

It wouldn't have any credibility. What would determine if torps are fired at you? If they were locked on? Well if they are doing an area denial torp run, you may never even see the torps they first, because it could be in a completely different direction. If it was just general area, then .maybe they went shooting at you, and your WSAD sucks, but you have a 100% torp beat ratio. It's too fishy to track

With torps and shells fired its simple. You either hit something or you dont

[VFW]
Members
942 posts
21,295 battles
32 minutes ago, Lert said:

Overall I understand your point but politely disagree.   The accuracy of main guns (not torps) is usually tied directly in the Avg Damage per game.  I use it to gage potential recruits.  I'm sure that you've seen in game folks who shoot a lot, but can't hit even the water, more or less the correct sections of a ship.   It's just another area to evaluate both your own and others area for improvement.

vr, 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,288 posts
12,830 battles
Just now, TexJapan said:

I'm sure that you've seen in game folks who shoot a lot, but can't hit even the water, more or less the correct sections of a ship.

Still better than people who hold their fire for that one perfect shot and ignore other opportunities to do damage. Sure there are cases where holding your fire for a better shot is the right thing to do, but with dispersion being a dice roll I'd rather roll more dice than fewer. Again, give me a teammate that hits 25% out of 50 shots taken than 50% out of 10 shots taken.

Members
631 posts

Stats - One of the biggest oddities about WOWs is that the Developers have great backgrounds in Statistics. So with at best a moderate background and experience using stats I have been very surprised at what WOWs chooses to share.

I suspect that something happened with WOT that has influenced their decisions here.

Why would you use a Lifetime average of anything to judge a Baseball player?  I want to know the last game, week, month, season.   I might want to compare this to the lifetime average but that is about the most useful any lifetime average is. 

Other players with much better Statistics backgrounds have cited numerous flaws and just plain weirdness of WOWs stats.  Then the bizarre activities of players to change their win rate is just more gas added to this fire. 

Wargaming knows the issues but does nothing. 

[VFW]
Members
942 posts
21,295 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Still better than people who hold their fire for that one perfect shot and ignore other opportunities to do damage.

I agree with this statement although I'm specifically pointing to the ability to hit what you're aiming.   Just blasting away not hitting much while at the same time being perma-spotted is not correct either.

vr,

[HINON]
Supertester
19,288 posts
12,830 battles
2 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

I agree with this statement although I'm specifically pointing to the ability to hit what you're aiming.   Just blasting away not hitting much while at the same time being perma-spotted is not correct either.

You're describing an outlier though. Someone happily throwing shells all over the place without even trying to aim.

I'm still considerably less interesting in how many shots it takes someone to do 40k damage than his ability to average 40k damage.

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles
1 hour ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I realize this might be difficult to add but I think it would be possible especially since we now have a potential damage counter. 

The hit ratio of main battery and torpedoes is in the game and can let you know how you are doing compared to others. Yes there is a difference based on which lines you prefer to play but in general you can look at them and see you have decent accuracy. I think it would be a great idea to add some sort of torpedos landed on your ship vs fired at you. This is mainly for BB’s but could apply to all classes. Simply put if someone targets you and fires 8 torps, if 2 land you would have a 20% hit by torps. It would be an easy way for someone to look and think “oh I need to work on WASD.” It would also need to include torps not launched at you but that go nearby. Kind of like the current potential damage counter. 

Just a thought. Don’t know if it is even possible to add or if it would be considered but it could be a stat that helps people improve. 

BBs are NOT a ship class.  They're a ship TYPE!!!

• Boring 1

[-V1-]
Members
169 posts
4,673 battles

Don't forget stats of ratio of hits to shots fired will be skewered when captains fire into a known area to influence the enemy player to move and possibly expose themselves to being hit by follow up salvos.   Or to turn advancing enemy ships.   They reflect badly on the stats of the shooter but DO influence the enemy movements, even helping teammates stats by providing them juicy targets.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,738 posts
2 hours ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I agree with you. It’s a mostly meaningless stat but you can look and see your accuracy. Just kind of threw it in there since it’s similar. A % tracker showing hits to misses even though it is much simpler than a “dodged torps” stat. 

It's a meaningless stat. The shot that always misses is the one never taken. Shooting into that smoke cloud to hit an unspotted DD will generate a lot of misses but it's the right thing to do. 

[KRIEG]
Members
10 posts
420 battles

interesting, I would like to see position stats on wins and losses,  what position you ended up with after a loss or win.   Did you finish in the top 3 bottom 3 etc. 

Edited by Notting_Hill

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,087 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

BBs are NOT a ship class.  They're a ship TYPE!!!

Believe it or not I actually deleted that part to retype because I meant to change class to type. Guess I didn’t actually change it. Old habits die hard. Fixed it now though.

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles

I'd rather see WG collect the base XP stat, rather than an XP stat that includes premium time modifications, daily multipliers, signal and camo multipliers, etc.  Just base XP.  For whatever flaws may be baked into it, Base XP is still probably about the best measure of skill available.