You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

Arms Race is Exactly as Predicted

58 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles

As I stated before to my clan mates last week after watching the preview of the new game mode, this will take already suicidal maniac players who rarely live past 10 minutes and make it so that they'll rarely live past 5 minutes.

Extremely bad players all the way up to even just average players are losing their minds over capping for these buffs and getting themselves deleted in record numbers.

The buffs are barely even worth anything, the gains are insanely small in the first place.  They are even more so when you consider how fast the snowball effect kicks in and the match is already decided within the first few minutes as one team is up already by 2-3 ships.

This game mode is no different than randoms when it comes to the fact that you will never find a replay video of all players on the team living past ten minutes and losing.  Yet the overwhelming number of brain dead players in this community cannot grasp the simple concept:  You and ONLY you are responsible for the health of your ship.

Not a single player will ever amount to anything in this game with a survival rate below 30% and average damage less than HALF of the server average simply because they are spending less than half of the battle duration above water.

You need clock time for your guns to reload.  You can't just fire 20 minutes worth of rounds in 3 minutes.  It's disturbing on so many levels that players can't recognize this reality and act accordingly.

STAY THE <BLEEP> ALIVE and stop obsessing over these bonuses like you have less brains than a speed bump.

If you want to play this game like a rinse and repeat first person shooter, then ask WG to institute endless respawning.  Until then, grow some brains and protect your ship's hitpoints while still doing damage.

This is of course aimed solely at players who actually have at least a partial desire to win over losing.  Even the self-destructive attitude players who have no desire to improve, you know the ones who immediately blame others for "no support," because if they are upset over getting sunk, there's a little hope for them yet.

For those that treat this game like a model train set, I totally respect that play style, now please in turn, respect the rest of the player base by not sabotaging high tier play where repair costs naturally command a higher level of team commitment to winning.

That is all.

EDIT POSTED FROM BELOW BECAUSE IT DRIVES HOME THE POINT:

If it's a race to the bottom of the ocean as these players feel (noting it's called Arms RACE and supporting early suiciding while down voting / objecting to my saying you're supposed to stay alive longer than a couple minutes), then the xp rewards should start high and each second you're still above water you lose xp.

And the losing team should get double the xp bonus.

After all the ones dying the earliest are justifying they did EXACTLY what they were supposed to and were playing the objective BETTER than those still alive, so if thats the case, they should get the most credits and xp.

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 6

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

See, I've only played two matches, both in my Roon. The first one I did really well in by--shockingly--playing it safe and only advancing with support, only going for the buffs when the enemy is running for the hills.

Honestly given my Roon captain only has 6 skill points spent I'm surprised I did as well as to not only win but survive the whole battle.

[PVE]
Members
5,620 posts
18,209 battles

Not going to sugar coat this one, quite literally saw this behavior coming when they announced the mode. Luckily it is a separate game mode and not part of normal game play as this would have been a disaster. I don't always agree with VG but he has hit the nail on the head with his post. It must be very frustrating for normal players in high tier ships dealing with the players after their "level ups" and getting whacked. It probably gets very old, very quickly and expensive as well.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,574 posts
3,751 battles

And if I'm not wrong, it doesn't count towards Campaigns or give Achievement rewards, correct? :Smile_sceptic:

[XXX]
[XXX]
Members
16 posts
12,038 battles
11 minutes ago, VGLance said:

this will take already suicidal maniac players who rarely live past 10 minutes and make it so that they'll rarely live past 5 minutes.

You are right.  Some like to push the boundaries of a ships abilities.  Pays off a hair over 50% of the time.  Just like ranked battles, Arms Race will make mediocre players with poor priorities better players.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,256 battles

The trade off is pretty spicy though. I only play one game using my Shima for the meme. I followed a friendly Gearing who just speed boost his way to bonuses and charged an Udaloi and Zao. We both got the bonuses but he died because he over extended. As for me I managed to live and well those bonus are stupidly strong. You can reach a pretty spicy 5km concealment and those reload boost helps greatly. 

Arms Race provide OP bonuses when stacked but it requires smart people who accept to give up some bonuses at the cost of a longer battle duration. Something that a LOT of player don't do or try to do. 

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,893 battles

OOoh boy, here comes the negativity of a new play mode. I have to admit, some of us act like the conceded gamer. Never content with new game play, always stricking a negative tone towards new content, ETC. I think the only way to keep us happy is by

• Treating WOWS as a sandbox game and using our hard to please gamer as test subjects to see if a concept works or not.  
  • Treating new gaming concept with a "Limited time" availability label. 

IF I am wrong, I there is a solution to what I have read so far. Present me with a counter argument as to way ^^^ What I just mentioned will become the only solution because of the negativity some of us deal...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,675 posts
3,924 battles

An arms race is generally referred to as the butterfly stroke and I'm pretty sure that fish of a man Mr Phelps has a few gold medals in it.

(dont mind me i've been drinking)

• Funny 3

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

+1 WoWS for the new mode. Much fun. I'd like the icons over the special areas to be accessible by CTRL key + mouse pointer so I can learn them, thanks. :cap_win:

All you negative nellies... there's a simple solution. You don't like it, don't play it. :cap_like:

• Cool 6

[PVE]
Members
511 posts
4,329 battles

I would like to see this mode in T4 or T5. I feel those tiers are better suited for a high speed game like this where the repair costs are low and people can (hopefully) take it less seriously.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,311 posts
4,256 battles
2 hours ago, VGLance said:

For those that treat this game like a model train set, I totally respect that play style, now please in turn, respect the rest of the player base by not sabotaging high tier play where repair costs naturally command a higher level of team commitment to winning.

This is the reason Arms Race is a separate mode from Randoms; it selects for the people who want to hang it on the line and take risks with their ships, instead of playing the slow-careful game. If that's not what you like, stay in Randoms (or T10 Ranked or Clan battles when available) and play as you prefer.

• Cool 3

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
261 posts
3,474 battles

This new game mode was designed to promote this kind of fast paced do or die game style.

Do like it don't play it.

• Cool 4

[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,435 battles

Well the mode is called "Arms Race."  I guess they could have called it "Arms campy campy camp camp"

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[OPG]
2,895 posts
10,457 battles

I've had a lot of fun farming 250k+ damage reliably with Salem. 

[VW]
Members
1,936 posts
12,496 battles
2 hours ago, VGLance said:

As I stated before to my clan mates last week after watching the preview of the new game mode, this will take already suicidal maniac players who rarely live past 10 minutes and make it so that they'll rarely live past 5 minutes.

Extremely bad players all the way up to even just average players are losing their minds over capping for these buffs and getting themselves deleted in record numbers.

The buffs are barely even worth anything, the gains are insanely small in the first place.  They are even more so when you consider how fast the snowball effect kicks in and the match is already decided within the first few minutes as one team is up already by 2-3 ships.

This game mode is no different than randoms when it comes to the fact that you will never find a replay video of all players on the team living past ten minutes and losing.  Yet the overwhelming number of brain dead players in this community cannot grasp the simple concept:  You and ONLY you are responsible for the health of your ship.

Not a single player will ever amount to anything in this game with a survival rate below 30% and average damage less than HALF of the server average simply because they are spending less than half of the battle duration above water.

You need clock time for your guns to reload.  You can't just fire 20 minutes worth of rounds in 3 minutes.  It's disturbing on so many levels that players can't recognize this reality and act accordingly.

STAY THE <BLEEP> ALIVE and stop obsessing over these bonuses like you have less brains than a speed bump.

If you want to play this game like a rinse and repeat first person shooter, then ask WG to institute endless respawning.  Until then, grow some brains and protect your ship's hitpoints while still doing damage.

This is of course aimed solely at players who actually have at least a partial desire to win over losing.  Even the self-destructive attitude players who have no desire to improve, you know the ones who immediately blame others for "no support," because if they are upset over getting sunk, there's a little hope for them yet.

That is all.

so what about the xp rewards? same better or worse than randoms?

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
202 posts
3,993 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

+1 WoWS for the new mode. Much fun. I'd like the icons over the special areas to be accessible by CTRL key + mouse pointer so I can learn them, thanks. :cap_win:

All you negative nellies... there's a simple solution. You don't like it, don't play it. :cap_like:

48 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

I would like to see this mode in T4 or T5. I feel those tiers are better suited for a high speed game like this where the repair costs are low and people can (hopefully) take it less seriously.

Amen.

I like the new mode.

• Cool 1

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
657 posts
7,979 battles

Takes a lot of the T9 and T10 crappers out of randoms.  Made playing T8 yesterday enjoyable.  I'd call that a win-win.

Members
322 posts
6,070 battles
3 hours ago, Landsraad said:

See, I've only played two matches, both in my Roon. The first one I did really well in by--shockingly--playing it safe and only advancing with support, only going for the buffs when the enemy is running for the hills.

Honestly given my Roon captain only has 6 skill points spent I'm surprised I did as well as to not only win but survive the whole battle.

You are using a 6 pt captain in your Roon? ...

[FACT]
Members
401 posts
3,935 battles
1 hour ago, monpetitloup said:

so what about the xp rewards? same better or worse than randoms?

Hard to say as the current 200% First Win skews the results. I played 2 Battles in the Yammy last night. To preface, I average about 90k damage a battle in the Yammy, so I'm your average player for the most part

Game 1: 35k damage, 0 kills, LOSS, 450 base xp, 3400 modified xp.

Game 2: 55k damage, 2 kills, Win, 1200-ish base XP, 10,300 modified xp

Results vary with different Camos, signals equipped, etc

Game mod feels weird. Not sure how I feel about it just yet, but it gives me a way to grind T9 ships to unlock T10's. BONUS: no stats are kept!!! 

More arcade-ish and almost like the guns have been tweaked. When I have a Des Moines 9km away and broadside, sailing in a straight line it should get deleted. Nope, Wonky shells for minimal damage. This shell thing has been going on for 2 weeks playing now. I suddenly didn't just lose my ability to aim. Something is off.

EDIT: Agree with OP. It's amazing to watch players in squishy cruisers YOLO for the caps and not let/ support the DD's do it. I watched 3 teammates die in 3 minutes in the first game last night. A DD, Minotaur, and a Des Moines. I just shook my head and typed "wow" in game chat. I experience play like that in Random as well, and those players are always on my team.

Edited by ARandomClaymore

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles
3 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

And if I'm not wrong, it doesn't count towards Campaigns or give Achievement rewards, correct? :Smile_sceptic:

Correct.

Members
118 posts
2,220 battles
25 minutes ago, ARandomClaymore said:

Hard to say as the current 200% First Win skews the results. I played 2 Battles in the Yammy last night. To preface, I average about 90k damage a battle in the Yammy, so I'm your average player for the most part

Game 1: 35k damage, 0 kills, LOSS, 450 base xp, 3400 modified xp.

Game 2: 55k damage, 2 kills, Win, 1200-ish base XP, 10,300 modified xp

Results vary with different Camos, signals equipped, etc

Game mod feels weird. Not sure how I feel about it just yet, but it gives me a way to grind T9 ships to unlock T10's. BONUS: no stats are kept!!! 

More arcade-ish and almost like the guns have been tweaked. When I have a Des Moines 9km away and broadside, sailing in a straight line it should get deleted. Nope, Wonky shells for minimal damage. This shell thing has been going on for 2 weeks playing now. I suddenly didn't just lose my ability to aim. Something is off.

EDIT: Agree with OP. It's amazing to watch players in squishy cruisers YOLO for the caps and not let/ support the DD's do it. I watched 3 teammates die in 3 minutes in the first game last night. A DD, Minotaur, and a Des Moines. I just shook my head and typed "wow" in game chat. I experience play like that in Random as well, and those players are always on my team.

Ah that may be it. Noticed my yamato's guns are doing some weird things... 

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles
28 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I'd be surprised if what you described isn't the point to the Arms Race mode.

If it's a race to the bottom of the ocean as these players feel, then the xp rewards should start high and each second you're still above water you lose xp.

And the losing team should get double the xp bonus.

After all the ones dying the earliest are justifying they did EXACTLY what they were supposed to and were playing the objective BETTER than those still alive, so if thats the case, they should get the most credits and xp.

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,264 battles
5 hours ago, VGLance said:

That is all.

Yeah High tier the past few days has been just errrrr.

The worst thing about it to me is that you can see why and its every type of ship.

Cannot blame it on just one type but the players must have just arrived or something.

They play it like it is tier 6 or 7 with no regard to their ship or the objective.

Winning is not really a thing as long as they fired their guns a few times they feel accomplished and had fun.

Worst part about it is no amount of pointing out some things nicely to them in chat about what they could do different helps.

In return all you get is F off, F you, What did you do because I charged in did 75k and killed 2 ships in 5 minutes.

Still 15 minutes to go but I did my part [edited] speech.

I think they really need two Random modes one for players like that and one for players like us.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND