Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

I got a ship! T6 Duca D'Aosta! Tips?

27 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

Anyone know anything about this ship? 

Got Guilio and Duca DA now. Maybe life is telling me my fate is in pizza.

• Funny 1

[TNG]
Members
820 posts
6,188 battles
10 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

sell it. premium ships below tier 9 are not worth keeping.

• Bad 4

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles
5 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

I also just got this ship a few days ago.

It's hella fast, seems maneuverable enough. It's firing arcs, and shell velocity seem decent. But at least it's HE doesnt seem to be too impactful, IDK if IFHE might help that. I havent gotten too many opportunities to use it's AP yet.

The torps are funny. They are really slow but have a 12km range. Ive noticed at least in the tier bracket it plays, that players do not expect them for some reason.

Need more games to get a good feel.

GL with her Blail. Maybe took a look at LWM review on it.

Mmm, probably have to look at the review. 

Anyone know the numbers on IFHE, if it helps? 

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
411 posts
5,605 battles

Support, support, support. This ship is not a frontline ship whatsoever. Use ap on broadside cruisers for good pens and cits. 

[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles

IFHE is a must.

You should fear Battleships.

Speed and Manueverability is Life.

Range is Life, considering how short ranged those guns are.

Concealment is a must because you will need to disappear, considering how bad in range Duca is.

You should fear 203mm AP and Battleships.

Make sure Spotter Plane is slotted because you REALLY need the extra range.  14km max gun range is not enough.  To me, even with floaty shells from North Carolina, Alabama in Tier VIII, a Cruiser under 15km range is easy for the taking.  Fast sailing Duca is still easy to hit, so Spotter Plane's range buff is badly needed.  The premium version of the consumable is needed, you need as much charges as you can.  You really don't want to fight at 14km or less with all those Battleships sailing around.

Make use of Duca's concealment and high velocity shells to attack Destroyers, just don't get too stupid and put yourself on a silver platter for a BB to pick you off.

You have 12km range torpedoes.  The total amount you can drop sucks balls, but the reload is fair.  You can easily Stealth Torp.  I advise chucking these in the enemy's direction whenever you can, but don't put yourself on a silver platter in doing so.

Pray a competent Lyon doesn't target you.

The ship is very fun to play.  You're sailing along quickly, dropping torps, spamming shells.  Yet when you look at the damage you do, it's not all that.  You'll eventually start noticing, "Man, I'm fighting but that BB looks pretty darn close."  Because it is d*mn close considering your max gun range is 14km.  You will face as high as Tier VIII Battleships, a number of those and even some Tier VII BBs are quite capable of reaching out and punishing Duca with ease.  Matter of fact, that's how you'll typically die:  BBs.  Not from Cruisers, Destroyers, CVs.  Just that 1 BB AP salvo and you're a-- is back to port wondering what just happened.

Think of it like this.  You are in a Bismarck who has a reputation for unreliable guns.  But how do you feel as a Bismarck player when a Cruiser that's trying to annoy you is at 14km or less range? :Smile_teethhappy:  You bring the Gauntlet of German Steel and hammer the f--ker down.

You better have Priority Target counter because you REALLY need early warning to know when tons of guns are aimed at you and use Duca's speed, concealment to "Make like a tree and get the f--k out of here."  Be very careful on where you fight on the map to keep the amount of possible attackers against you to a more minimal number.  Duca is highly allergic to any hits, esp. from BBs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,651 posts
3,924 battles
40 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Nah fam, you gotta hit up the pasta at Buca Di Beppo. Everything served family style. Or single-serving if you're a try-hard fatty.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buca+di+beppo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi20vzYj8ndAhUBbq0KHTPsDcMQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=944#imgrc=_

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

mfff. That doesn't sound fun. 

LWM suggested using lots of AP? 

[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles
13 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

mfff. That doesn't sound fun. 

LWM suggested using lots of AP? 

If you can in the right moments.  Because if you try to stick with AP, all you'll get are a bunch of non-pens.  It's Cruiser AP.  It'll get bounced / non-penned easily.  Just as with any Cruiser AP that isn't one of those with special bounce angles, the moment a target starts to angle, your AP becomes useless.  Even a DD that angles will bounce your sh*t AP.

Even German CAs with powerful, high raw AP damage values run into this with their 203mm AP.  Someone on these boards not long ago was wondering why, his German CA with this powerful AP reputation, is getting nothing but bounces.  It's because Cruiser AP is easy to negate into uselessness.  Unless you got RN CL / USN CA / Stalingrad AP bounce angles, fusing characteristics, angling by even small ships will make Cruiser AP useless.  So if a German CA like Prinz Eugen, Roon, Hindenburg with very high AP damage values get easily bounced, 152mm Non-RN CL AP is nothing.

Side note:  When this ship first came out, I bought Duca.  I ran into @LittleWhiteMouse on the opposite team.  We were both having fun with the ship but she got the best of me when we eventually battled in that match.

The ship is super fun, don't get me wrong, but she has some glaring issues that you must account for, or die a horrible, instantaneous death.  I've got ships that are horrible nor fun to play.  Duca is so-so in terms of capabilities, and she gets embarrassingly deleted sometimes.  But at least she's fun.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
1 hour ago, _Dracarys said:

Kamikaze, Kutuzov, Belfast, Gremyashchy, Blyskawica, Giulio Cesare, Lo Yang. Just to name a few. Could you be any more incorrect? NO!

• Funny 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
2 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

More like a pasta Caesar salad.  GC is spankin' awesome. Duca - follow Haze's suggestions.

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,374 battles

sell it and drive the lower tier,superior cruiser giulio cesare.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,235 posts
4,207 battles
3 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

Horsetwaddle.

• Funny 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles

On top of what others have said.

Its HE fire chance is poor.  Drops even more with IFHE.  And the AP is mediocre and best only used at broadside cruisers.  Early game I sometimes fire the torps for area denial if you happen to be near a lane where the reds might try to advance.  Sometimes minutes later you'll score a hit.  They're akin to the sea mines on the Sims.  

But mostly the guns are rather 'meh'.  It's why I have no interest in the Abruzzi.  Moved up a tire with the same guns.

You can have success with the D'Aosta in Ops.  

[BLHK]
Members
327 posts
3,429 battles
4 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Think like a fat destroyer. As other said she is pretty quick, I find she does best when she can get out on the flank. Especially at lower tiers you can mess with a lot of BB drivers with her super long ranged torps. Dont try to pick fights. She is at her best when she is doing hit and run tactics.

[TBOW]
Members
1,250 posts
10,669 battles

Stay at range, oh and those sea mines you get for torps are hilarious.  They are slow and long range, and when a enemy runs into them it is wonderful.  Speed is also your friend in this bote, she has IJN Cruiser Type Speed.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

Use lots of WASD.  She can be quite hard to hit.  Get IFHE as soon as you can.  This is the only ship that I can imagine picking up IFHE before CE on.  Yes you will lower your chance for fires, but fires are unreliable anyways.  You need the increased alpha from non-shatters.  Use AP when you get a broadside to shoot at.  Stealth torp battleships coming at you.  They are slow torps but I get a remarkable amount of long range hits.  Battleship drivers generally don't expect them from long range, so they don't drive to avoid.  Don't be afraid to stop shooting and stealth up.  She's fast, reposition a bit and let them have it again from a different angle.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
498 posts
5,581 battles
4 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

Keep every premium ship you get or you will end up getting it back in a container. 

Members
322 posts
6,070 battles

I use mine for Co-op and Operations, it just gets punished too much in Randoms vs it's counterparts. 

Cons: Shortish range guns, spotter planes don't last long enough, meh health pool, the rudder reminds me of playing an IJN DD or French cruiser (IE something sneezes, it breaks). 12km Watermines...er Torpedoes are slow.

Pros: It looks sexy. The shell velocities are very nice, comparable to the Russian rail guns on some RU Cruisers.  

Engage at range, and don't make yourself a primary target.

[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles
46 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Use lots of WASD.  She can be quite hard to hit.  Get IFHE as soon as you can.  This is the only ship that I can imagine picking up IFHE before CE on.  Yes you will lower your chance for fires, but fires are unreliable anyways.  You need the increased alpha from non-shatters.  Use AP when you get a broadside to shoot at.  Stealth torp battleships coming at you.  They are slow torps but I get a remarkable amount of long range hits.  Battleship drivers generally don't expect them from long range, so they don't drive to avoid.  Don't be afraid to stop shooting and stealth up.  She's fast, reposition a bit and let them have it again from a different angle.

To add, you can't rely too much on Fires to do damage with Duca.  Lots of BBs do Survival Builds.  In addition, Repair Party will heal back all the fire damage you did.  Combine that with Duca's poor 7% fire chance, it's not an HE spammer so the rate you set people on fire will be very unreliable.  Lastly, if you don't have IFHE, you'll be relying on Fire damage for your performance while your shells do nothing against the 32mm armor you'll come across from Tier VIII BBs... and you will see Tier VIII BBs a lot.  I remember running her without IFHE, pounding a North Carolina getting tons of hits but no shell penetrations for damage, and RNG was screwing me sideways with no fires being set.  North Carolina player had zero worries and leisurely took aim.

Tier VI Cruiser Fire Chances:

Duca 7%

Nurnberg 8% (Her 150mm guns get the German Cruiser HE Pen bonus, i.e. "Free IFHE but with zero fire chance penalty")

La Gal, De Grasse, Budyonny, Dallas 12%

Molotov (180mm) 13%

Pensacola (203mm) 14%

Aoba (203mm) 17%

Duca is just awful in setting fires.  Nurnberg is just as bad but she gets Free IFHE.

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

oooof. the guns look kinda silly on this. 

And maybe not for me, I just want to sink everything with massive damage. 

[FGNE]
Members
344 posts
2,467 battles

May I suggest the special spotter plane modification? (I have it equipped in mine).

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles
7 hours ago, CO_Valle said:

May I suggest the special spotter plane modification? (I have it equipped in mine).

Yeah? the range needed? 

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

I have Duca...might even have spent money on her. I don’t sail her. WG gave me a GC...easy choice between those two. Leander or Budyonny are far better cruiser choices at Tier VI.  Hell, I even prefer Molotov to Duca.  That comes down to the guns. Duca might be better to sail, but the guns are shite. Molly will make you pay, no matter who you are; smoke DDs, nuke cruisers, burn BB (even cit them in the right circumstances). She’s an unforgiving ship, but as @Lert says, she’ll teach you a lot about being a cruiser Captain.

Sign in to follow this