Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rainman106

The problem with Jervis

26 comments in this topic

Members
42 posts
2,607 battles

I have a huge problem with Jervis.  Why oh why does it not have Gadjah Mada's awesome forward firing arcs for the third gun.  They're the same class of ship.  There is nothing blocking the gun to keep it from having that as well.  So what gives?  That aspect alone makes it a much worse ship than Gadjah Mada.  I really hope the rest of the line isn't like this.  I was hoping for a full tech tree of Gadjah Mada like firing arcs.

Edit: As has been pointed out, the 6.3km concealment compared to the 6.1km of GM hurts as well.  Especially with Jervis's shorter torp range

Edited by Rainman106

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,830 posts
7,100 battles

simple, don't play it as though it were a Gadjah Mada clone. instead, play it as needle in a junkyard, you are tiny, nimble, and with a dunkirk captain, + flags, you can spend most of battle in and out of smoke. (Think I am managing 20 seconds approx between smokefests). It is crazy, SEVEN smoke consumeables (if you spec for that and take premium consus). take fire flags, and light fires. personally having a blast.

• Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,714 battles

One game in and you have to hustle more but it is still fun

shot-18.09.20_17.32.08-0262.jpg

And you can still rack up decent game if you play a little more cautiously and use your smoke wisely like @LoveBote said above.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,585 posts
3,753 battles

Well compared to Gadjah you gain normal torps with single launch and hydro iirc.  Isn't that a reasonable tradeoff?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,714 battles
12 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Well compared to Gadjah you gain normal torps with single launch and hydro iirc.  Isn't that a reasonable tradeoff?

If concealment and torp range were the same yes it would be a reasonable trade off. But it's not and makes the ship that much weaker because of it.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,585 posts
3,753 battles
1 minute ago, Camo68 said:

If concealment and torp range were the same yes it would be a reasonable trade off. But it's not and makes the ship that much weaker because of it.

I know about the torp range, and I just checked the wiki page and you are correct with the concealment. This is silly, seeing as they are practically  the same class :Smile_facepalm:.

Members
42 posts
2,607 battles
5 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

I know about the torp range, and I just checked the wiki page and you are correct with the concealment. This is silly, seeing as they are practically  the same class :Smile_facepalm:.

I forgot to bring up concealment as well.  I definitely noticed that.  There are definitely trade-offs for the ships, but I feel the ship in general does feel worse to play than Gadjah Mada.

5 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

I actually think not being able to hit destroyers in exchange for low detection torps is already a perfectly good trade-off.  Them being normal is not straight up advantageous to me.  The single launch torps and hydro are definitely nice, though.  It's not enough to make up for the strange disadvantages it has to Gadjah Mada.  If the third gun arc and concealment were made the same, I think the two ships would be very similar in ability.

• Cool 1

[280ZX]
Members
706 posts
10,541 battles

The word is out, 7 km torps, 6.3 km detection, almost no smoke duration, so you basically give yourself away with your own cloaking device. Come out, and you will, to death do us part. Easy kill. Uptierd to T9 battles against things like Fletcher will make you wish you weren't there. I  have T5/6/7 and loose money with all three, combined. There is no way to approach something, compared to the Minekazi, for instance. At T8/9, they aren't that stupid, and you aren't going to surprise them with a 0.7 km buffer. I sunk a Roon, once, since he was so dedicated to sinking a Bismarck, which he did, that he let me come around the corner undetected, but you aren't going to see this situation much.

Edited by Ericson38

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,858 battles

The Jervis is a beast IMHO. It suits its tier well as a gunboat.

The turrets ability to rotate 360 degrees allows you to angle in and chase those DDs.

It is a bully vs other DDs and can take out T9 DDs with comfort with it guns. 

Don't get me wrong it plays differently from other DDs but use that to your advantage. 

The amount of enemy DDs that smoke when spotted means i don't fire, i wait till they are in the smoke and then hydro rush for an easy kill. 3k dmg salvos from your guns at close range.

Just be aware of enemy radar positions before pushing though. 

• Cool 2

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,264 posts
3,852 battles

I find the loss of concealment for the same torp range as Icarus a little baffling, personally. I like Jervis, I like that the bite is now as bad as its bark, those guns do work! But I actually find myself missing the 1km buffer zone with Icarus' concealment and torp range, now its getting hairy to close in to torpedo range. I'd take a 7.5k torp range, then the Jervis is a comfortable upgrade to Icarus, not this kind-of-diagonal progresswe have now where you get less concealment for better gunnery but the same old torps. Jervis doesn't have trouble holding up in a gunfight but I find myself wishing I had the ability to use the torpedoes more often

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

Hmm... I was wondering how to play Jervis.  I’m only a few games in, all awful. It might be that I’m not a huge fan of that gun boat life anymore, who knows? 

I want to like her. The ship itself seems cool - 3x2 turrets appeal to me, single launch torps, hydro...I like these things. However, getting the guns in the fight constructively or using the torps on anything continues to elude me, and I’m not sure why.  I used some of my event currency to get Dunkirk, because a 3 pt Captain at Tier 7 is a joke....but, even 10 pts is hardly optimal. 

I’m sort of out of the USN DD game...and, by extension, the PA DD game. I’ll have a choice between Ognevoi and Lightning here in a bit if I can get on well with Jervis.  Gaede hasn’t been that impressive to me, either, come to that.  I get on well with Fubuki at least. 

Members
42 posts
2,607 battles
2 hours ago, Mahrs said:

Hmm... I was wondering how to play Jervis.  I’m only a few games in, all awful. It might be that I’m not a huge fan of that gun boat life anymore, who knows? 

I want to like her. The ship itself seems cool - 3x2 turrets appeal to me, single launch torps, hydro...I like these things. However, getting the guns in the fight constructively or using the torps on anything continues to elude me, and I’m not sure why.  I used some of my event currency to get Dunkirk, because a 3 pt Captain at Tier 7 is a joke....but, even 10 pts is hardly optimal. 

I’m sort of out of the USN DD game...and, by extension, the PA DD game. I’ll have a choice between Ognevoi and Lightning here in a bit if I can get on well with Jervis.  Gaede hasn’t been that impressive to me, either, come to that.  I get on well with Fubuki at least. 

How far up the PA line did you go?  Did you play Gadjah Mada.  If so, it plays similar to that, but worse.

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles
2 hours ago, Rainman106 said:

How far up the PA line did you go?  Did you play Gadjah Mada.  If so, it plays similar to that, but worse.

I got to only the Jian Wei at Tier V...my impression was "wth is this nonsense?  Where the heck are my Shenyang guns?  Oh...dear God...they're just revamped USN DD...sonofabitch...I wish I knew that before I blew the stack on a PA Dasha...."  DWT may be the shizzle, but I've got little interest in USN DD, part deux.  

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,934 battles

It is a bully vs other DDs and can take out T9 DDs with comfort with it guns. 

How many HP do these T9 DDs have?

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,920 battles

Team up with another dd and you can bully the other dds,  Your hydro combined with either their toprs or guns can frustrate the heck out of the red team trying to cap.

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles

Jervis is working well for me, averaging 47K damage and 10K ship XP per match.

Edited by lemekillmister

[280ZX]
Members
706 posts
10,541 battles

I'm down to about 1 to 5K damage per game with it, was better first 20 games than now. Loose credits playing it now.

[ARGSY]
Members
61 posts
3,228 battles

Go with Bert Dunkirk captain, expert marksman, and basic fire training. The ship can do some bullying in the cap if fit out that way. Torps are useful if you  but there is a learning curve. I very much like the boat. It would be OP if you had 8 KM torps. 

[280ZX]
Members
706 posts
10,541 battles

Right now my rank is number 1288 out of 1401 players on the NA server for damage, #1265 out of 1401 for win rate at 38%.

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,880 battles
On 11/23/2018 at 10:03 AM, handybilly said:

Go with Bert Dunkirk captain, expert marksman, and basic fire training. The ship can do some bullying in the cap if fit out that way. Torps are useful if you  but there is a learning curve. I very much like the boat. It would be OP if you had 8 KM torps. 

Are these your first pass skills? For a ship that is going to shot at a lot, Last Stand seems a better choice. BFT may be as good as other choices so more a matter of preference.

Would the ship be OP with 7.5km torps? Anything to get a little bit of useable stealth torp capability.

[280ZX]
Members
706 posts
10,541 battles

That's my biggest problem, torp range a few tenths of 1km from being the same as detection range, at T7. With Minekazi (T5) was able to attempt torping something and living to tell about it. Lightning has 8 km torp range and 5.4 km detection range, and everyone agrees it is a playable boat.

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,880 battles
11 hours ago, XxX_7_1 said:

Biggest problem is the gun arcs, otherwise it's a great ship.

I find the gun arcs pretty decent. Having played it for a while now (still grinding to Lightning, need 20000XP) I  find the biggest issue is the concealment. Seems I am constantly outspotted by most of my opponents. some by a huge margin. With the meh speed (and no speed boost) it often gives the red DD the choice to set up an attack or slip away keeping me spotted for team mates. Often have to smoke up without ever seeing my opponent when the PT counter spikes. Charging at the suspected red DD location keeps me spotted and guessing what DD it is I am picking a fight with. 

Plus the narrow stealth torp window which means I rarely get to pull off a stealth launch on any ship not heading right at me.

[WMD]
Members
182 posts
5,198 battles

Jervis suffers because of her poor concealment, like all DDs a 10pt skipper is key. I really question the decision by WG to give her worse concealment than GM as well as shorter range torps. That said, I did fairly well in her unlocking Lightning quickly after release.

Sign in to follow this