Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kann101

Skins not working in Ver 0.7.9?

15 comments in this topic

[ECOM]
Members
12 posts
19,765 battles

Custom skins cause crashes in ver 0.7.9.

Anyone, tell me how to fix this problem.

Edited by kann101

[AMWKS]
Modder
175 posts
2,578 battles
13 minutes ago, kann101 said:

Custom skins cause crashes in ver 0.7.9.

Anyone, tell me how to fix this problem.

Thanks for joining my Discord.  I hope I explained the issue to you in clear detail.  I'd still like to talk to some forum staff for more info but for now at least there's a path I can follow to get fixing.

[ECOM]
Members
12 posts
19,765 battles
4 minutes ago, CompassRose said:

Thanks for joining my Discord.  I hope I explained the issue to you in clear detail.  I'd still like to talk to some forum staff for more info but for now at least there's a path I can follow to get fixing.

Thank you for your great work.

• Cool 1

[AMWKS]
Modder
175 posts
2,578 battles

@Razorwyre It was limited to the larger textures.  Mainly the ships themselves, the aircraft, main guns and some secondary guns.  I even found a case or two where some aircraft in the misc folder needed a tweak.  For safety sake I also re-saved textures like the torpedo tubes and AA guns since there's not too many of them.

All in all, took about a day and a half to correct all the mods and make them 0.7.9.0 compliant.  That's about maybe 70+ ship skins and the UI mod.  I shudder to think of other modders who are trying to keep several author's mods up-to-date.

But the fix was essentially opening up the larger textures in paint.net and saving the file again.  That solved 99% of the issues.

• Cool 1

Members
8 posts
2,498 battles

Ouch, thats alot of skins, i know ive got alot that i use, so now im gonna have to decide if i wanna just say the heck with it, and leave it as they are or just let mt WOWS play time expire and discontinue playing the game. caue i just dont have the time or the skills to go in and make changes myself

Members
8 posts
2,498 battles

@CompassRose welp that took quite along time to do, but im good now, skins load up with no issues, you wasnt kidding when you said took you a day and a half to fix it, took me about the same, downloaded paint.net and opened every single skin texture file i had and re saved it,  ty for the info on the process

Edited by Razorwyre

[AMWKS]
Modder
175 posts
2,578 battles

Glad you're back up and running.  I'm going to get T-shirts made that say:  'OUR SHIP SKINS SURVIVED THE 7.9 UPDATE'.

• Funny 1

[AMWKS]
Modder
175 posts
2,578 battles

@Mammoth_Tank_MKI as luck would have it, solutions are being located by others and we've been information sharing on my Discord server.

VikingRDD located this application earlier, and Patax2 made a small imgur image gallery as a simple tutorial on how to use it.  You are essentially batch saving the dds files to get them to be 7.9 compliant.  It's nothing fancier than that.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0tw0UqX

For me I had already just saved the images in paint.net and I was back and running.  But this should make things easier for clients that run a metric butt-ton of modified skins.

Hope this helps.

• Cool 2

Members
12 posts
5,853 battles

@CompassRose thanks for posting this as I've been having issues with game crashing lately due to this. I have a lot of skin s I sue so batch conversion is awesome tool to help me solve my issue. Only question I have tho, the version of XnView MP I have is different from the "tutorial". Although I figured most of the settings on the new version, I'm struggling with "Clean Metadeta". Any thoughts on what I need to do and what options I need to select? Please refer to picture below. 

Cheers. 

Capture.PNG

Sign in to follow this