You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CompassRose

Is 0.7.9.0 The Death of Custom Skins?

29 comments in this topic

[AMWKS]
Modder
176 posts
2,617 battles

I noticed a change in the file structure when I unpacked the ship components today with the Unpacker Tool.  It seems that the standard DDS files (normally 4096 x 4096) for the premium boats have been replaced with 512 x 512 versions, and dd0, dd1, and dd2 files of various sizes have been added.  If the premium boat has a premium camo, then that DDS file remains unchanged.

From my vantage point it looks like Wargaming doesn't want us making custom skins for premium boats unless it's placed on a premium camo that can be purchased from the shop.  So my questions to some of the community staff, either @Radar_X, or @Gneisenau013 are the following:

Why the change?  Is this the beginning of a global change to the file structure for technical reasons?

Is this a sign from Wargaming that they don't want us modding premium boats with custom skins unless they can make money off it?

Can we get Wargaming's position on this, or more information on the subject?

Right now all I am is puzzled but the longer this drags on this could become a hot button issue for a lot of people that enjoy our work as a whole.

• Cool 9

[90THD]
Supertester
1,074 posts
6,142 battles

I noticed this as well.  If I have custom skins loaded into the game it crashes as soon as you load into port, but if you remove the skins the game runs fine.  I use all of Tanz' skins for a more realistic and historically accurate game visually, its kind of disappointing to not be able to do that any more if this is the case.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,196 posts
4,986 battles

A not-insignificant portion of my enjoyment of this game comes from slapping anime all over my ships and then beating people over the head with them.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
3,591 battles

I know that a lot of anime people like the custom skins and I like the Sharnhorst ARP skin myself. I am dissatisfied that I am unable to use it now since patch 7.9. What is to be gained by not enabling custom skins? Nothing unless the move is to ensure future camo sales of their own unique camos. What made me mad was when I spent $35 on those space camos and then was July or August they come out again for $35 plus a Dubloon bonus. I know where my money is going to permacamos on ships I enjoy. The only space camo I would even go for now is Glober Kurfurst’s space camo, because it reminds me of Battlepirates draconian faction.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

OSNAP, I forgot to check if my Haida still has the maple leaf! Please tell me that's not broken!

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,315 battles
Just now, Landsraad said:

OSNAP, I forgot to check if my Haida still has the maple leaf! Please tell me that's not broken!

Well, if you bought the skin, it's okay.

If you had a custom maple leaf skin, it's toast.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

This wasn't a purchased skin, it was a small edit that Chobittsu did to the default skin so that the historical red maple leaf was displayed on one of the smoke stacks.

Dammit all... .

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,315 battles
4 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

This wasn't a purchased skin, it was a small edit that Chobittsu did to the default skin so that the historical red maple leaf was displayed on one of the smoke stacks.

Dammit all... .

Press F to paey respoots

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
723 posts
1,792 battles

Rename the .dd0 to .dds and then go about opening it in photoshop.

[AMWKS]
Modder
176 posts
2,617 battles
28 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Now that works, which gives me hope.  Still leaves the question as to why the format, which I would still like an answer to.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,497 posts
2,448 battles

If all they're doing is busting up big files into smaller ones, then it's probably to speed up skin loads.  The internal files seem to rely on sequential searches; the smaller the file (fewer records) the quicker the desired record will be located and loaded.

[AMWKS]
Modder
176 posts
2,617 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

If all they're doing is busting up big files into smaller ones, then it's probably to speed up skin loads.  The internal files seem to rely on sequential searches; the smaller the file (fewer records) the quicker the desired record will be located and loaded.

I like that explanation, and thanks to @Avalon304for pointing out the file rename solution.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
10 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

That makes sense, especially since this patch was supposed to help ships load in faster after being spotted. Having skins load faster in the client can only help that process.

• Cool 2

[AMWKS]
Modder
176 posts
2,617 battles
57 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

That makes sense, especially since this patch was supposed to help ships load in faster after being spotted. Having skins load faster in the client can only help that process.

Hopefully everyone can get their skins updated.  For now though at least I can get things back online to where they work.  I would have hated to see Enterprise just disappear like that.

cbgixhI.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles

PnF Mods that change physical models and adds custom skins to them still work without issue, it's mainly just the regular, old contents/gameplay/[nation]/[class]/textures mods that have broken. Likely because as iDuckman suggested, the multiple file sizes are probably done to allow faster loading of ships, especially at different ranges and graphical settings. This would also help when lighting up a target via Radar/Hydro for a few seconds, as they will no longer be able to just be ghost detected but disappear again, they will actually be seen/rendered ASAP.

Ironically, WG already did this with shells and some of the default skins, which if you edited their DDS files, had multiple resizes of the images within at different scaling sizes. I suspect the new changes probably split the DDS image resizes into separate files, each with correspondingly lower file sizes for loading convenience. Granted, I haven't checked this myself.

Shell and particle effects still work though; I have an ancient shell trail effect that makes my shell trail look like railguns/beams firing. Custom damage effects also still work. It's just the plain old texture mods that broke and need some renaming/updates.

[SFROG]
Beta Testers
41 posts
4,802 battles

If it is in fact a loading issue, this may be their next experiment in resolving the rendering delays on ships - like load a small texture first to display the ship on screen, then work on a higher resolution one afterwards or based on range or something.  Don't have anything constructive to add but figured I'd throw some speculation into the ring for giggles.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,196 posts
4,986 battles

Is there a simple way to convert the non-PnF skins into a usable form? Is it just the reverse of this?

15 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

I think I'm using some skins that aren't supported anymore, and I'd like to fix them up myself.

Edited by Flashtirade

Members
419 posts

The game crashed on me several times yesterday (post patch) when I was playing in a premium ship. I don't use mods and have not inserted camos that were not offered by WG. There are also weird instances in which part of the ship becomes see-through (lewd). I doubt that this is being caused by my PC, as it is pretty high end and less than a year old. 

[BNZAI]
Members
133 posts
3,835 battles

Does anyone have a tutorial for fixing skins? I have a bunch of skins who's authors are no longer around and I would like to keep using them.

• Cool 1

[FDK]
Members
1,079 posts
6,178 battles
4 hours ago, Tekina_ said:

Does anyone have a tutorial for fixing skins? I have a bunch of skins who's authors are no longer around and I would like to keep using them.

FORSOOTH!

Members
76 posts
3,646 battles
On 9/20/2018 at 7:57 PM, Tekina_ said:

Yeah that be really nice since i'd hate to throw away my USN Skins that have all since been purged from the net it seems =/

[FDK]
Members
1,079 posts
6,178 battles

No news about fixing custom/historical skins. It would be nice if some one in WG could provide some hint about it.