Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MajorRenegade

planes vs submarine?

51 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,606
[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,123 posts
4,270 battles

One of my biggest concerns that no one talks about. 

Will planes be able to spot submarines when they're submerged under the surface?

Will planes be able to attack it with HE and Ap bombs?

Will planes be able to equip with death charges?

 

well someone got to asked lol

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,754
Members
18,343 posts
5,238 battles

We know that torps can hit subs on surface and at periscope depth, so figure TBs can do it too. I would think DBs too, no point making specific depth charges for planes.

I'm thinking planes would be able to spot periscope depth subs, albeit not from as far away as surfaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

What we do know is this is only a Halloween event. If the community doesnt like it. It may die there. It also looks like a PvE event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
Alpha Tester
1,303 posts
403 battles
1 minute ago, Sped_Gax said:

What we do know is this is only a Halloween event. If the community doesnt like it. It may die there. It also looks like a PvE event. 

Considering the resources already spent....

 

This is at most a test to see how bug free the mechanics are. make no mistake WG is looking for a new type of class to add as a cash cow.

you are truley delusional if you don't think WG hasn't already decided to add them to the game. Hint people thought wheeled vehicules were just an event in WOT, now they are being implemented in the future, same for subs really.

Hint its basically confirmed to be added to the game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,157
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,193 posts
18,937 battles

Time to "add" the good old Liberator GR Mk V. Maybe as a consumable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
1 minute ago, Xplato said:

Considering the resources already spent....

 

This is at most a test to see how bug free the mechanics are. make no mistake WG is looking for a new type of class to add as a cash cow.

you are truley delusional if you don't think WG hasn't already decided to add them to the game. Hint people thought wheeled vehicules were just an event in WOT, now they are being implemented in the future, same for subs really.

Hint its basically confirmed to be added to the game.

If they do I dont see it till well after the first of the year. How long sid it take for the CV rework?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
Alpha Tester
1,303 posts
403 battles
Just now, Sped_Gax said:

If they do I dont see it till well after the first of the year. How long sid it take for the CV rework?

Its at earliest late 2019. my guess is Q1 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
857
[SBS]
Members
2,488 posts
2,253 battles

I don't think planes will spot, or be able to attack subs when they fully submerged.  If planes could detect/attack submerged subs they would perma spot them and kill them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

I don't think planes will spot, or be able to attack subs when they fully submerged.  If planes could detect/attack submerged subs they would perma spot them and kill them.

Truth is even a sub at periscope depth shpuldmt be spotted by radar. Radar wasn't that good during WW2. Modern that's a different story. Hydro should be able to spot a sub at any depth. Planes should be able to spot a sub at periscope depth, but not deep. With that said some maps shouldn't allow a sub to go deep in parts of the map. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,288
[PVE]
Members
9,894 posts
7,492 battles
49 minutes ago, Xplato said:

Considering the resources already spent....

 

This is at most a test to see how bug free the mechanics are. make no mistake WG is looking for a new type of class to add as a cash cow.

you are truley delusional if you don't think WG hasn't already decided to add them to the game. Hint people thought wheeled vehicules were just an event in WOT, now they are being implemented in the future, same for subs really.

Hint its basically confirmed to be added to the game.

Yeah, but if it can't be balanced and/or if enough of the player base rejects it, it may just stay as a PvE mode, ala Operations.

 

33 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

Truth is even a sub at periscope depth shpuldmt be spotted by radar. Radar wasn't that good during WW2. Modern that's a different story. Hydro should be able to spot a sub at any depth. Planes should be able to spot a sub at periscope depth, but not deep. With that said some maps shouldn't allow a sub to go deep in parts of the map. 

Eh, RADAR in WWII was good enough for fire control and was millimeter wave RADAR. So for balance purposes, sure let periscope subs be spotting by RADAR if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
Alpha Tester
1,303 posts
403 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yeah, but if it can't be balanced and/or if enough of the player base rejects it, it may just stay as a PvE mode, ala Operations.

 

Highely unlikley. very little people come here, or to the WOWS Reddit. most just play to have fun. The holloween mode looks to be making it extreamly fun to players to play it.

WG has already put in considerable resources for the class. they modeled at least 3 ships I believe all have very similar models to German Uboats. meaning they have already modeled 3 Uboats more or less, likley more. They also put the time to code in the mechanics of diving and such, Torpedo with different functions, single firing torpedoes(most likley carried over from Brit DD system). they also modeled DD being able to drop Depth charges.

no matter where you splice it, WG has every intention of adding subs, unlike say the space battles they didn't just copy existing models, and make changes to them. They literlly made 3 entirely new models, (At least) made a system to have them dive. Gave them specific torpedo tubes at the front(Mabye back too) did all the coding for this, added a special torpedo, and effects made the until now visual only Depth charges have a use, and animations. oh and new animations for the subs themselves...

Zero question they intend to implement them, like I said the event is just a way to iron out the bugs they themselves can't replicate on a large scale, and find new ones.

if CV rework is realeased by say mid 2019, Subs will be released by either winter 2019, or Q1 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,288
[PVE]
Members
9,894 posts
7,492 battles
2 minutes ago, Xplato said:

Highely unlikley. very little people come here, or to the WOWS Reddit. most just play to have fun. The holloween mode looks to be making it extreamly fun to players to play it.

WG has already put in considerable resources for the class. they modeled at least 3 ships I believe all have very similar models to German Uboats. meaning they have already modeled 3 Uboats more or less, likley more. They also put the time to code in the mechanics of diving and such, Torpedo with different functions, single firing torpedoes(most likley carried over from Brit DD system). they also modeled DD being able to drop Depth charges.

no matter where you splice it, WG has every intention of adding subs, unlike say the space battles they didn't just copy existing models, and make changes to them. They literlly made 3 entirely new models, (At least) made a system to have them dive. Gave them specific torpedo tubes at the front(Mabye back too) did all the coding for this, added a special torpedo, and effects made the until now visual only Depth charges have a use, and animations. oh and new animations for the subs themselves...

Zero question they intend to implement them, like I said the event is just a way to iron out the bugs they themselves can't replicate on a large scale, and find new ones.

if CV rework is realeased by say mid 2019, Subs will be released by either winter 2019, or Q1 2020.

One of the videos had a comment by a dev that they were looking to find more content. With UK DD/CVs, French DDs, Italian DD, CL/CA/BBs, RU BBs, Pan-Am DDs, Pan-Europe? and WG is out of WWII content. So I can see subs being added, but if they are not balanceable, I can see them being a new battle mode. You would have PvP, PvE, Ranked/Clan, Operations, Arms Race and Subs for example. I think it *may* be possible to be balanced, but I don't think the game play will be like the Halloween event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
456
[1776_]
Alpha Tester
2,625 posts
4,974 battles

how about we add submarines like this:

Submarines can have unlimited oxygen when submerged
Submarines can attack while submerged undetected
Submarines can fire 4-6 torpedo in a single volley
Submarines can do 15 to 20 knots submerged and can chase down a BB, CL, CA, CV or DD

This is a blend of Silent Hunter and Navy Field but it wouldn't be OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
Alpha Tester
1,303 posts
403 battles
9 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

One of the videos had a comment by a dev that they were looking to find more content. With UK DD/CVs, French DDs, Italian DD, CL/CA/BBs, RU BBs, Pan-Am DDs, Pan-Europe? and WG is out of WWII content. So I can see subs being added, but if they are not balanceable, I can see them being a new battle mode. You would have PvP, PvE, Ranked/Clan, Operations, Arms Race and Subs for example. I think it *may* be possible to be balanced, but I don't think the game play will be like the Halloween event.

point is, WG can modify Game play to be fun. They know if it's not fun for the averge player they won't spend the time to go down a line of subs.

Does WG have plenty of content for a lot of nations/lines? sure are they the easiest to put together? no. Sub lines take much less resources to make (both models, and research). USN line requires zero paper/WG fake boats. german requires just 2 fake boats.

They also are very easy to balance, against themselves. we have what 5 BB lines? how do you make RU/Italy BB lines unique? how do you make french DD line unique? It's a real problem. it's probably why WG want's to add subs, it's very easy to add KM, and USN subs that each are vastly different from their each other.

Subs are also filled with premium candidates, both KM, and USN. in addition are easier to balance thier states compared to other ships.they would have what 4 categories ingame? Survivabilty,Torpedoes,Mobility,Concealment.

 

Subs are despite what some here think just much easier to implement than a lot of the new lines people want from UK,Italy, france, RU.

Not to mention WG will make a lot more hype with a new class, than with another BB/DD/CA/CL/CV line will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,288
[PVE]
Members
9,894 posts
7,492 battles
2 minutes ago, Xplato said:

point is, WG can modify Game play to be fun. They know if it's not fun for the averge player they won't spend the time to go down a line of subs.

Does WG have plenty of content for a lot of nations/lines? sure are they the easiest to put together? no. Sub lines take much less resources to make (both models, and research). USN line requires zero paper/WG fake boats. german requires just 2 fake boats.

They also are very easy to balance, against themselves. we have what 5 BB lines? how do you make RU/Italy BB lines unique? how do you make french DD line unique? It's a real problem. it's probably why WG want's to add subs, it's very easy to add KM, and USN subs that each are vastly different from their each other.

Subs are also filled with premium candidates, both KM, and USN. in addition are easier to balance thier states compared to other ships.they would have what 4 categories ingame? Survivabilty,Torpedoes,Mobility,Concealment.

 

Subs are despite what some here think just much easier to implement than a lot of the new lines people want from UK,Italy, france, RU.

Not to mention WG will make a lot more hype with a new class, than with another BB/DD/CA/CL/CV line will.

But if they can not be balanced properly, see CVs, then you create a lot of problems. I'm not saying that subs won't appear, I just think it is more likely as a PvE mode than in PvP modes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
403 posts
9,366 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

Time to "add" the good old Liberator GR Mk V. Maybe as a consumable?

Liberator, pfft. Sunderland and Wellington GR will be the go to planes :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90
[O_O]
Members
735 posts
6,288 battles

they should add a couple of PBYs with sonar buoys to the Carrier group to help hunt the Subs...lol ...but will add more complexity to the game as it is already.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,508 posts
5,500 battles

WOW should model the SUBs specs much like Battlefield1942 did in 2002.  The naval Warfare was so much fun !  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,754
Members
18,343 posts
5,238 battles
9 hours ago, dionkraft said:

WOW should model the SUBs specs much like Battlefield1942 did in 2002.  The naval Warfare was so much fun !  

Did you play the Forgotten Hope mod?

I loved the Rheinubung (sp?) map. U-boats, E-boats, RN CV w/Swordfish, (there was an RN CL and DD, but don't remember the names) and of course, Prinz Eugen and Bismarck.

They also had TBDs and B5N. Trying to torp a Yamato that had a player manning the AA was intense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,055
[ARGSY]
Members
6,431 posts
4,302 battles
11 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

One of my biggest concerns that no one talks about. 

Will planes be able to spot submarines when they're submerged under the surface?

Will planes be able to attack it with HE and Ap bombs?

Will planes be able to equip with death charges?

 

well someone got to asked lol

True; someone does need to ask, so that influential CC's at least can take the questions back to WG's developers even if the Devs aren't reading these comments themselves.

I think spotting submerged subs would be a big ask. I think it was possible in the Mediterranean IRL, where waters were calmer and shallower, but it still took luck. 

Attacking with bombs should IMO be possible at periscope depth, maybe not to penetrate and kill, but you still might break rudders, props, cause damage.

Depth charges depend on how the weapon load-out interface in carriers works. Because this is still a WIP, I can see it being added in. However, remember that for reworked carriers right now you must determine the loadout for an entire 12-plane squadron, and it might be wasteful to commit all of them to anti-submarine work (unless the depth bombs could double up as second-rate HE versus ships). I suspect they will not be added in as carrier load-outs, but they could potentially be added in as an armament for spotter planes, such that they could automatically attack a submarine that happened to periscope or surface within spotting range of its flight path.

This raises the question of how submarine hulls recognise pressure hull breaches. Torpedo hits that don't kill one instantly should ideally cause flooding and force the sub to surface if it doesn't die first, but bomb hits on the pressure hull should also be able to prevent diving for the same reason, as should AP shells. So we are back to a ship type that can receive flooding damage from shell hits above a certain calibre that do not wipe it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,508 posts
5,500 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Did you play the Forgotten Hope mod?

I loved the Rheinubung (sp?) map. U-boats, E-boats, RN CV w/Swordfish, (there was an RN CL and DD, but don't remember the names) and of course, Prinz Eugen and Bismarck.

They also had TBDs and B5N. Trying to torp a Yamato that had a player manning the AA was intense!

I did play Forgotten Hope when it came out - it had a lot of realism and detail in its mod construction. However I had pretty much gone with Desert Combat mod and its more modern weapons. I was especially skilled with the SCUD and rocket truck due to my mastery of "SKY AIMING".  Since BF1942 had a static sky you could be in a precise position and aim to a point in the clouds to aim your missel or rocket and hit precisely where that coordinate would go. Continuing to blow the planes up at the enemy spawn was not fun for the enemy team!  They almost never got off the ground!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
936 posts
10 battles
13 hours ago, Mr_Alex said:

how about we add submarines like this:

Submarines can have unlimited oxygen when submerged
Submarines can attack while submerged undetected
Submarines can fire 4-6 torpedo in a single volley
Submarines can do 15 to 20 knots submerged and can chase down a BB, CL, CA, CV or DD

This is a blend of Silent Hunter and Navy Field but it wouldn't be OP

There you go throwing crazy grenades into the forums trying to get people to freak out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,754
Members
18,343 posts
5,238 battles
7 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

I did play Forgotten Hope when it came out - it had a lot of realism and detail in its mod construction. However I had pretty much gone with Desert Combat mod and its more modern weapons. I was especially skilled with the SCUD and rocket truck due to my mastery of "SKY AIMING".  Since BF1942 had a static sky you could be in a precise position and aim to a point in the clouds to aim your missel or rocket and hit precisely where that coordinate would go. Continuing to blow the planes up at the enemy spawn was not fun for the enemy team!  They almost never got off the ground!

Yeah, I played DC too, it wasn't realistic to the degree of FH, but definitely an improvement over vanilla. (although grenades killing tanks was always my pet peeve)

My favorite role was Apache gunner, but it was rare to get a pilot that would use me well. Most either kept spamming me to bail out over a cap, or flew badly, and I couldn't hit anything lol.

Also liked spawning an engi in FH, and manning the hull & commander MGs, hopping out to repair when needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,754
Members
18,343 posts
5,238 battles
13 hours ago, Mr_Alex said:

how about we add submarines like this:

Submarines can have unlimited oxygen when submerged
Submarines can attack while submerged undetected
Submarines can fire 4-6 torpedo in a single volley
Submarines can do 15 to 20 knots submerged and can chase down a BB, CL, CA, CV or DD

This is a blend of Silent Hunter and Navy Field but it wouldn't be OP

A blend of a singleplayer game, and a game that was killed (or at least mortally wounded) by the introduction of subs....

Great idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×