Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HowitzerBlitzer

What are submarine battles going to look like?

19 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
9 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

After a few hours of deliberation, here is our idea:

zlr0AMV.jpg

Thank you for your time.

♯anchorsaweigh

Lol. You did know that is an old ANTI-SUBMARINE meme, right?:Smile-_tongue:

Members
1,925 posts
2,492 battles
4 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Lol. You did know that is an old ANTI-SUBMARINE meme, right?:Smile-_tongue:

Yeah, that's why I posted it on here three years ago as well.

• Bad 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
Just now, HowitzerBlitzer said:

Yeah, that's why I posted it on here three years ago as well.

Yes, but this meme isn't very accurate. Only Sub v Sub would be this way, and it's like that(yet still entertaining enough) in Cold Waters. Sub v ANY surface ship or CV is a HECK of a lot more interesting to look at, even in a WWII setting rather than a Cold War setting.

[PVE]
Members
9,978 posts
7,492 battles
45 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

zlr0AMV.jpg

Thank you for your time.

♯anchorsaweigh

27 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Yes, but this meme isn't very accurate. Only Sub v Sub would be this way, and it's like that(yet still entertaining enough) in Cold Waters. Sub v ANY surface ship or CV is a HECK of a lot more interesting to look at, even in a WWII setting rather than a Cold War setting.

Watch the videos again and you will see that the sub torps are locked when the sub if fully submerged. Only torp firing from periscope or surface.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
9 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Watch the videos again and you will see that the sub torps are locked when the sub if fully submerged. Only torp firing from periscope or surface.

This is true, ramming will be the thing. I wonder why, though. Did they mention why?

As I said earlier on another thread, Subs will only be balanced if at a certain fully submerged depth, DEPTH CHARGES ARE USELESS AGAINST THEM, as fully submerged Subs can't retaliate, they can't realistically run away(too slow) they can be visible enough via hydro or assured acquisition, and the time that they can be fully submerged is relatively short.

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles
1 hour ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

zlr0AMV.jpg

Thank you for your time.

♯anchorsaweigh

This is how a sub battle might normally have been like.

And this is how Wargaming willl likely make sub battles after doing there uh game balancing...

[PVE]
Members
9,978 posts
7,492 battles
7 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

This is true, ramming will be the thing. I wonder why, though. Did they mention why?

As I said earlier on another thread, Subs will only be balanced if at a certain fully submerged depth, DEPTH CHARGES ARE USELESS AGAINST THEM, as fully submerged Subs can't retaliate, they can't realistically run away(too slow) they can be visible enough via hydro or assured acquisition, and the time that they can be fully submerged is relatively short.

Well in real life, the deeper you were, the more reserve compressed air you needed to launch the torps. Since Subs are practically invisible, firing torps that way would be broken.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
15 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Note also that I didn't mention torp duels, only that Sub V Sub submerged would be the only kind of Sub gameplay to be completely(or nearly) invisible from the surface. Honestly though, I can see two reasons why they have locked the torps fully submerged: A: balance. They don't want to repeat CVs where the claims of "NO FIAR! I CANT RETAILATE(OR HET HES SHEP) BUT HE CAN HET MUH SHEP!" have always been rampant(and completely unfounded). B: Sub V Sub submerged in this game would SUCK, bad. You can still miss enemy Subs in Cold Waters, and that's with torpedoes with active sonar and homing capability!

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Well in real life, the deeper you were, the more reserve compressed air you needed to launch the torps. Since Subs are practically invisible, firing torps that way would be broken.

It would also force you to come up for air with in 15-20 seconds, which(I might add) is also broken, in the other direction.

Edited by legoboy0401

[SIDE]
Members
734 posts
3,298 battles

I can see wg adding a hard cap on subs per battle. Limiting it to 2-3 subs most per side.

Just adding enough element to change the game. Like CVs. Or the future cap of 4 dds per side.

Edited by Merlox

[PVE]
Members
9,978 posts
7,492 battles
5 minutes ago, Merlox said:

I can see wg adding a hard cap on subs per battle. Limiting it to 2-3 subs most per side.

Just adding enough element to change the game. Like CVs. Or the future cap of 4 dds per side.

If you are going to have 4 DDs per side max, you should restrict the subs to 2 each max.

Members
9,997 posts

I'm seriously going to laugh my [edited]off if WG changes course due to outrage and doesn't put them in after the test.

Then the sub-lovers will have a complete meltdown.....win, win. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
409 posts
1,503 battles

Here is a video of Steel Ocean's submarine gameplay, at about 10 minutes in there are some sub vs sub engagements. WG's sub implementation looks similar, so I would expect sub vs sub fights to look something like they do in steel ocean.

Don't bother playing Steel Ocean though, it's practically a dead game.

[SIDE]
Members
734 posts
3,298 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

If you are going to have 4 DDs per side max, you should restrict the subs to 2 each max.

I'm just going off of WG's quote that happened in monday's stream about the DD cap

[PVE]
Members
9,978 posts
7,492 battles
Just now, Merlox said:

I'm just going off of WG's quote that happened in monday's stream about the DD cap

Oh yeah, I'm just thinking you will need more than 1 DD to work a sub. And DDs would be worked even harder than they are now.

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
3,591 battles

I know we are all excited about this , but let’s not forget about how CV’s were left broken for 3 years now. This needs to be balanced class and not a broken class.

Sign in to follow this