You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LordJP_

I got accused of cheating and it was frustrating

12 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
23 posts
6,449 battles

I was called a cheater in a battle in my Richelieu today and the frustrating part was that the guy just didn't want to understand what happened.

Some context: A guy comes around an island full broadside in his NC. I punch his citadel. He then angles away "kitting" me and shooting at my Rich's bow/belt armor while I shoot his superstructure. He, along with some of his teammates, proceeds to call me a chater because he dealt minimal damage to me while I sunk him.

Some screenshots with my shots and his return fire: https://imgur.com/a/7Ys5qmY?   (None of my teammates told anything in chat so I didn't bother to cover their names, they actually played well, even though we lost. I hope this won't fall under name and shaming)

Now the frustrating part: I politely sent a message to the guy in port (I wanted him to pay attention, not rage at me) and tried to explain him what just happened. I felt as if I was talking to a wall. I tried to lead him to the information but he just wanted to remain uninformed. 

lXR5gTv.png

In a situation like this you don't have any way to readly point him in the right direction using the game client. You can only link him to X website

Now what I think would have helped?

1. Maybe if we had this information available in the client, moments like these could be avoided. Have access to information directly through the client, the same way we "conveniently" have the premium shop, WG! Name it "Important to Know Before Playing" in big red letters or something like that.
  2. Have an introdutory campaign with battles vs bots in which the game manipulates common situations you will find yourself while playing each class happening in a controled environment:
  • "Bounce the enemy shot! To do this you need to be at X angle (Have it show the player he should turn his ship). Enemy guns can't damage you because X reason (have overmatch explained here)".
  • Or "Keeping your ship afloat: This enemy cruiser will set many fires on you but stay calm. Fire damage is 100% repairable (explain how Repair Party works vs each type of damage) and your big battleship don't need to use DCP on a single fire."
  • Spot for your team (Have spotting mechanics explained and show the player how to do it).
  • "Where and how to aim: If your enemy is a BB usually shoot here. If he is angled, shoot here. If it's a cruiser and you are X class, shoot here." Teach the player to shoot the least angled part of an enemy ship and so on...

Make each of these matches accessible at any time like a "Single Player Campaign". If the player wants to play the "Angling" or the "Spotting" lesson again he can. 

I think the "How It Works" series is a big step in the right direction, I'd be ok with resorting to 3rd party websites to find some information but make it also accessible through the client. Same with basic game mechanics.

Sure, people can watch CCs for more advanced guides like positioning or how to play a specific ship, but at least hidden stats E.g. torpedo flooding chance or HE pen on specific lines shouldn't be hidden anymore. 

Back to this specific case: I can't put the fault on WG. I just pointed him what to search and even told him to ask WG support (he told he was sending a ticket) how it works so he could get the information from a trustable source if he didn't want to trust me, but he just ignored. I don't know why he'd want to remain oblivious to something that could give an advantage (knowing a game mechanic) in a competitive environment like a PvP game. You could argue that he doesn't take WoWS as competitive but he clearly showed to be annoyed by the idea of the enemy having an advantage over him.

Could also be that I just got trolled. But my point still stands: have more information easily available to the playerbase can't be that bad, can it?

Edited by LordJP_
Grammar
  • Cool 1

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
449 posts
1,962 battles

If I had a dime for every time I'd been told I cheated... People come from games where "hacks" does exist, some are just paranoid, some just want to blame their failure on something other than themselves. Just don't get bothered, it's just trolling. I had a guy asking everyone to report me because I insta-popped his Atlanta with HE from my Nelson. Everyone just laughed at him, even his own team. Don't take any of that seriously.

[R-F]
Members
754 posts
6,370 battles

Play well and you'll get accused of cheating sooner or later, usually by somebody who doesn't understand game mechanics or certain tree's perks, like German destroyer hydro.  "How did you see me in my smoke? you cheated!".  It's not worth spending any of your time worrying about it.

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles

Your response was excellent, but ultimately futile. He doesn't care how the mechanics work, he's mad that you won the engagement. I like your suggestions immensely. @Gneisenau013, maybe you could pass along his recommendations? 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,379 posts
9,527 battles

Well at least you tried. Nice work, not many of us would put in the effort.

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

Grats at being so much better than the other player they felt it was magic.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Clarke's First Law!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,614 posts
9,004 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Kylere said:

Grats at being so much better than the other player they felt it was magic.

This, wear it as a badge of pride.

[O_O]
Members
733 posts
6,220 battles

YOU'RE A CHEATER!!!!! :Smile_hiding:

hehe...just kidding...:Smile_teethhappy:

i wouldn't let it bother you so much....i got called cheating too....  basically, because they tried to dive behind an island for cover....HOWEVER, my shot were still landing on them and they burnt to the ground. so they accused me a cheating and using "Aim Assist".  

well for one...i don't use "Aim Assist" or what ever they called....i seen it but you have to pay a monthly fee to use that add on program or something like that shet.  I'm a free to play player...i'm not putting money on some craplike that.  only thing i buy is boats that i want.

oh and another thing about them guys that accused me of that [edited]...i was in the Atalanta...SO Hiding behind an island WONT SAVE YOU! ....the other thing is STOP SAILING IN A STRAIGHT LINE...!!! it makes it easier for me to maintain the landing marker. :Smile_facepalm:

Beta Testers
241 posts
6,130 battles

I don't think I ever been called cheater in WoWS, been called lucky but I suck so much I don't think anyone would dare to say I cheat.

[DENY]
Members
339 posts
4,711 battles

Meh , I had a dude not long ago saying the same , he was in a Yamato broadside 12km away from my conqueror I AP him citadel for 30k sinking him , he was so salty saying that conqueror only shoot HE ! 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Tale as old as multiplayer games I'm afraid. I once got called a cheater by someone who couldn't understand how thickest armor on my ANGLED tier 8 Panther II kept bouncing his stock tier 6 Easy-8 Sherman.

Some people just don't know the mechanics and cry "WITCHCRAFT!" when they see them in action. It's always frustrating when you're the accused, but the results can be downright HILARIOUS if you're a bystander.

So okay, another little anecdote that kind of falls along these lines from World of Tanks:
So I'm platooned with some friends, playing tier 6 just messing around and having some fun. We get a tier 6 match with some 5s and a lot of 4s thrown in, and one particular tier 4 we could tell was a TOTAL newbie who have never even seen a tier 6. How? Because this little AMX 40 was bragging about how awesome and invincible his tank was, and IMMEDIATELY proceeds at the beginning of the match to call out the enemy with the biggest gun for a duel. The response from said player, an SU-100Y was "Uh... You sure about that?" while both sides erupted in a chorus of "NO DUCK, DON'T DO IT!!!" So they meet, and the "invincible" rubber duckie that is the AMX 40 gets obliterated in one shot. If that meme had been a thing at this time, everyone would have pressed F to pay respects. We then proceed to explain to the absolutely STUNNED AMX 40 driver that the infamous Box Tank (SU-100Y) that he just challenged to a duel has 130mm naval gun, and gives precisely zero [edited]s about armor thickness or angle. So yes, the duck IS impervious... To fire from most of its fellow tier 4s. Not so much the lolpen overkill gun on tracks that is Box Tank.