You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Amenhir

PSA: Operation Dynamo

55 comments in this topic

[DPG]
Members
893 posts
4,430 battles

Help your fighters take out enemy fighters!  That's really the key to that last stretch.  They then help take out all the bombers and you won't have torp soup.

• Cool 2

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,681 posts
8,116 battles
1 minute ago, Amenhir said:

Help your fighters take out enemy fighters!  That's really the key to that last stretch.  They then help take out all the bombers and you won't have torp soup.

Sounds like your team did not have any AA destroyers.

[DPG]
Members
893 posts
4,430 battles
1 minute ago, Crokodone said:

Sounds like your team did not have any AA destroyers.

We had AA destroyers but they didn't bother to intercept the enemy fighters when our fighters engaged them and two dds weren't enough to help them out.  I specifically said on two occasions that we needed to help the fighters.

Edited by Amenhir

[WPP]
Members
515 posts
5,411 battles

I bought the Farragut, threw on the C Hull, retrained a Captain for AA, and it's the easiest mission ever.  It also does a good job taking out the zippy little ships as long as you put them just outside your screen to lead your shot.

The Aigle has almost no AA and can't hit the torpedo boats, so aside from getting the 200% bonus in a Premium Ship I'd steer clear.

(Played it 5 times today with premium flags and have picked up 60K Free EXP... putting me over 750K.  Here's hoping the Jean Bart comes out soon)

Edited by galspanic

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,681 posts
8,116 battles

Update still downloading for me. I prior purchases the C hull on Mahan but i dont have AFT on him but got BFT, il check how hard this version seems.

P.S

Dis you get any Dunkirk crates?

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,174 posts
18,887 battles

All hail the AA spec Sims!

• Cool 3

Members
706 posts
Just now, Crokodone said:

Dis you get any Dunkirk crates?

you do, I got 3 of them when we got 5 stars. (you get them for the 4th star)

Edited by b101uk

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,681 posts
8,116 battles
Just now, b101uk said:

you do, I got 3 of them when we got 5 stars.

Nice, maybe i can finally get jack dunkirk.

Members
706 posts
Just now, Crokodone said:

you only get that award for the 4th star ONCE, the first time you achieve the 4th star or better.

but once you have the 3 crates, you can then buy them for coal in the arsenal to complete the collection.

Edited by b101uk

[ARGSY]
5,174 posts
18,887 battles
8 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

No. The rewards for Dynamo were reset so that players, that did it with 5 stars before get the new rewards. 

But you can get his clone in the arsenal for Sovereigns.

[WPP]
Members
515 posts
5,411 battles
2 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

No. The rewards for Dynamo were reset so that players, that did it with 5 stars before get the new rewards. 

But you can get his clone in the arsenal for Sovereigns.

Then why are all the pieces I get "Duplicates" and crediting me 15K Credits if that collection isn't active still?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,401 posts
9,561 battles
15 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Sep_19_18_Sims_Dynamo_D.jpg

[ARGSY]
5,174 posts
18,887 battles
16 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Then why are all the pieces I get "Duplicates" and crediting me 15K Credits if that collection isn't active still?

Oh, didn't he was a reward for finishing Dynamo with 4 (or 5) stars?

Ah, my fault, you got a French captain. Yeah, he was the reward for the collection.

[SBS]
Members
2,462 posts
2,253 battles
6 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

I managed to shoot down 71 planes in my Sims with no captain skills that buff AA.

Members
1,296 posts
21,024 battles

So it looks like you get HMS Gallant with 5 stars?

Well, just 5 starred it and no Gallant...oh, well.

Onwards!

Edited by slokill_1

[SBS]
Members
2,462 posts
2,253 battles
5 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

So it looks like you get HMS Gallant with 5 stars?

No.  You get 5K coal.

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles
11 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Killed 10 Schnellboots and 24 planes first time using it in this Op.  Though I see some have done much better killing planes.

Edited by ZARDOZ_II

[REVY]
Members
951 posts
7,505 battles

Only issue I have seen, is that some people believe it to be a race to get back to England.

The result is a large group of DDs accelerating to the 'finish' line, leaving the rescue ships alone with little to no cover 

[4HIM]
Members
1,794 posts
4,051 battles
2 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Only issue I have seen, is that some people believe it to be a race to get back to England.

The result is a large group of DDs accelerating to the 'finish' line, leaving the rescue ships alone with little to no cover 

That.  

And one other thing I noticed.  At random times, some of the bot 'civilian ships' will for no discernable reason, turn into the minefields and get destroyed.  The one I watched from afar was when the fleet wasn't under attack. In one of the lulls in the action.  So nothing to dodge.  It just turned out of the midst of the fleet and sailed straight into a mine.  

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,207 battles
12 hours ago, galspanic said:

The Aigle has almost no AA and can't hit the torpedo boats, so aside from getting the 200% bonus in a Premium Ship I'd steer clear.

The Aigles I was with last night were absolutely murdering the torpedo boats, though it helped that quite a few people took US destroyers with C hulls.

I forgot to put my Atlanta captain into my Monaghan for BFT and AFT, oops, but thank you to the team that carried me across the line for five stars. 

One thing for sure, it's no place for a Gallant. I understand the viciousness of the air component has been significantly increased.

14 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I think it's because they're used to ops in which getting inside the finish circle ends the mission. I sort of made that mistake, raced through the central channel between the minefields and realised my error. I rationalised it halfway with it being a smart idea to see what was waiting at the end, but nothing was, and I really should have stuck with the fleet. My only excuse was that it was my first shot at the op.

[PVE]
Members
5,596 posts
18,181 battles
32 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

And one other thing I noticed.  At random times, some of the bot 'civilian ships' will for no discernable reason, turn into the minefields and get destroyed.  The one I watched from afar was when the fleet wasn't under attack. In one of the lulls in the action.  So nothing to dodge.  It just turned out of the midst of the fleet and sailed straight into a mine.  

I played this OP originally hundreds of times. Friendly bot behavior is driven by what the players do. They will try to get out of your way as well as try to avoid your torpedoes even though they can not take friendly damage. Often the will move into the minefield in order to avoid collisions or torps. You have to be very careful how you maneuver amongst the bots, especially in the narrow gap between the minefields. One friendly DD needs to lead thru the gap then swing east to support friendly fighters and another following who swings west to engage the little schnelbotes. the others need to stay eastern edge of the gap to protect ships from aircraft attacks but keep straight to keep the civilian ships in the smoke that should be obscuring them. One DD needs to be in the very back playing Tail End Charlie and kill the little boats that spawn in the rear as well as start shooting at incoming planes. Once the little boats are taken care of, you high tail it to the gap at full speed. Playing the OP like this will ensure you don't inadvertently get in the way of the civilian ships and drive them into the mines.

I forgot mention that you must keep the schellbotes out of the civilian ships. They will start to scatter if this happens, going in all directions to avoid not only their torps but the boats themselves. It can become a disaster if that happens at the wrong time.

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,857 battles
1 hour ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I'm still trying to save Parks... :Smile_sad:

We actually figured out how to save him the last time this operation was up. What you have to do is to push him into smoke where he won't get shot at by the shore batteries. This also includes the second time the batteries fire when the fighters come in to spot. If he doesn't get shot at he won't run into the mines and will then follow the main fleet.

Of course, if you are really annoyed by Parks you can just push him into the mines even before the shore batteries open up.

The only DD I saw that was compatible with the mission was the Gnevny, which was sort of "meh" as it has little in the way of AA. I did get several torpedo hits with it and a few gun kills. I need to figure out the lead though as it is different than that of the DDs we got for the operation last time. We got only four stars because we didn't get all the fighters in time.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1