You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Orrin

Which nations would get Subs first?

83 comments in this topic

[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles

I know Subs in the main game are a long way off, but I'm curious.

Which nations do you think will get subs first?

Maybe USN and IJN to start with, as the first two factions in the game.

Or perhaps German U-boats because of their immense popularity.

Personally I like USN and KMS subs, I find their histories and designs to be the most interesting. 

What nations do you guys want to see? Are you excited for subs?

-Orrin

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, Sir_Orrin said:

Personally I like USN and KMS subs, I find their histories and designs to be the most interesting. 

-Orrin

I'll wait and see. My initial reaction was "HELP! THE SKY IS FALLING! HELP! THE SKY IS FALLING!  HELP! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" but now I'm not so sure.

USN and IJN would be nice, although the DAS BOOT  hype is very real.

Keep in mind, the testing(Halloween event) has to go well and Subs and Sub gameplay have to be fallen in love with by both the Devs and the community, otherwise they probably won't ever appear in PvP ever.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,250 posts
1,851 battles

German.  I don't see the need to do two at the same time.  US second, for the same reason all WWII sub sims have only ever been about those two.  After Germany and the US are done any of the Soviet, Japanese or British lines and in whichever order.  Even Soviet submarines did stuff in the war.  French and Italian would be on the back burner.

Edited by Helstrem
  • Cool 2

[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles
Just now, Helstrem said:

German.  I don't see the need to do two at the same time.  US second, for the same reason all WWII sub sims have only ever been about those two.  After Germany and the US are done any of the Soviet, Japanese or British lines and in whichever order.  Even Soviet submarines did stuff in the war.  French and Italian would be on the back burner.

German and USA I feel are definitely the most popular. 

[BLHK]
Members
350 posts
3,449 battles
10 minutes ago, Sir_Orrin said:

-Orrin

Knowing some of the bias the game appears to have from time to time. It will be Russian and a nuclear powered variant of the Acula class armed with super long lance torps :)

• Funny 1

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,274 battles

I could see the Germans being the 1st ones to have it, their tech tree isn't as robust as American or Japanese tech trees. 

We will see premium US / Japanese / British subs though for sure until their tech tree comes out.

ALSO FRENCH PREMIUM GOODNESS
Lfw7JeTlBY8HOzP08iGG72XB83Hz19-SBRT2bAQW

Edited by Merlox
  • Cool 4

Members
855 posts
3,594 battles

Since the most famous subs from ww2 are german, we should get german subs first!

I'm thinking when they add subs they may want to add two lines as the same time. I wouldn't expect them anytime soon because of this and likely they will go US/IJN lines. 

Edited by Slumlord_Cheeto

Members
29 posts
259 battles

I just have a feeling the U.S or Britain would get them first, historically, Britain because of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Holland_1 , the U.S because we had subs during the civil war ... although it seams wiki has forgotten about that..... we sorta had the first military sub, back in the revolutionary war.... our first one would probably just be the same as the British https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Holland_(SS-1)  ,  I would find funny if they gave the u.s the U-505 as a premium, we did capture it after all https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-505.  Japan would be fun the I-401 class were like miny submersible aircraft carriers, the u.s and Britain, and French did to. However, the u.s torpedos would be horrible any way I would put my money on Britain being first ( as in the teir) to get subs .

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,278 battles

Idk but if the Russian Sub does not get a Scottish voiced captain that sounds eerie similar to Sean Connery then I will be highly upset lol.

I mean i would even go with Captain Tupolev played by Stellan Skarsgard :)

• Cool 2

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,710 posts
8,132 battles
50 minutes ago, Sir_Orrin said:

-Orrin

The nation's that should get submarines first should be those nations that had the highest performance submarines: united states and japan.

Following those two, should follow the same order

1] highest speed surfaced

2] highest speed submerged

3] largest armament.

I know the usn and ijn had the highest surface speed subs with late war ijn having the highest speed submerged. Also, ijn subs of the later tier or premium could come with its own spotter/fighter plane.

The brits had spme of the heaviest armed submarines of the era. And while the germans were best known for their quantify, their only real edge would be their hull strength+diving depth.

The only real odd ball nations would be the French and Italian subs, and from what i can gleam from the internet tgere isn't much information on Russian ww2 subs.

P.S

Inwould not mind the warspite treatment for that russian submarine denied to  us a couple of aprils back; it was modelled already and i kitted out mine :cap_viking:.

Edited by Crokodone
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
48 minutes ago, Sir_Orrin said:

Ze germans

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
8 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Idk but if the Russian Sub does not get a Scottish voiced captain that sounds eerie similar to Sean Connery then I will be highly upset lol.

Russian navy fans generally dislike or straight up despise that movie, so I doubt developers will go in that direction.

• Boring 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,710 posts
8,132 battles
2 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Russian navy fans generally dislike or straight up despise that movie, so I doubt developers will go in that direction.

Why? Was it because there were no Russian actors? Or because a Lithuanian was stealing an iconic Russian wonder of the world?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,811 posts
10,343 battles

If WG did decide to release submarine branches it would make some sense to do two at once, so at least there'd be a little variation in the matchmaker, rather than 1-2 Type VIIC's on each side.

Given the game launch with two major navies, one Axis and one Allied I'd expect a mirror of that. For the Allies, the USA is more realistic with a wide range of submarines and some potentially suitable 'Fleet' boats. The UK did use submarines but had a comparatively target-poor environment, and I think hits a plateau where designs optimized for the Med/Home waters predominate. France and the USSR are pretty fringe.

For the Axis the choice between the Germans and Japanese is perhaps trickier. The Germans did 'focus' on commerce raiding but still had notable anti-warship success, sinking the carriers Courageous, Eagle and Ark Royal and battleships Royal Oak and Barham, plus numerous destroyers and cruisers. The Japanese operated a wide range of submarines including noteworthy types and had some success too, sinking Wasp and finishing off Yorktown, though overall their impact was small. I'd go with the Germans myself.

After USA/Germany I'd expect Japan, then the UK, then some combination of France, the USSR and Italy, with Italy achieving more with submarines than the USSR but having no major presence in the game thus far.

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,916 battles
40 minutes ago, Ghost_Raven75 said:

None of them

He speaks the truth!

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,895 posts
5,713 battles

USA and Germany, for volume and infamy. If they are released separately, the honor goes to whichever marketing thinks is going to be more attractive.

Alpha Tester
1,303 posts
403 battles

USA is pretty much gurrenteed. They could do 2 trees at the same time(seems as other posters have said most logical).

Germany has 2 very massive issues, however.

Tier 9/10 Subs.

As it stands the XXI Germany's most advanced Sub During World war 2, is the farthest they ever got unfortunately it was a dated design, and while it started being produced in 1943, only 4 ever got into what you could call combat status, and only 2 ever actually got into combat. The issue arises, becuese other than underwater speed, The Porpoise class completely out classes it in terms of specs. however the Porpoise was a 1933 design. unfortunately the Tang class also exists, and since the Tang Basically took the XXI improved speed technology, and incorperated Guppy, it also had the underwater speed of the XXI.

So both the Tang and XXI really need to be at the same tier. unfortunatly the Tang class is a 1949 design.

Balance can sort out both boats. but Until the mid 1960s germany doesn't have any boats that can fill that can fit into tier 9/10.

That and Nautilas is a forgone conclusion for the USN line, probally like Iowa as a tier 9. which means USN tier 10 is either going to be seawolf, skate class, or if WG really goes into the late 1950s, Skipjack.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
42 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

The nation's that should get submarines first should be those nations that had the highest performance submarines: united states and japan.

Following those two, should follow the same order

1] highest speed surfaced

2] highest speed submerged

3] largest armament.

I know the usn and ijn had the highest surface speed subs with late war ijn having the highest speed submerged. Also, ijn subs of the later tier or premium could come with its own spotter/fighter plane.

The brits had spme of the heaviest armed submarines of the era. And while the germans were best known for their quantify, their only real edge would be their hull strength+diving depth.

The only real odd ball nations would be the French and Italian subs, and from what i can gleam from the internet tgere isn't much information on Russian ww2 subs.

P.S

Inwould not mind the warspite treatment for that russian submarine denied to  us a couple of aprils back; it was modelled already and i kitted out mine :cap_viking:.

Yeah, that would be because they were really bad, and if you thought the living conditions inside a COLD WAR Soviet TANK were bad, BUDDY, YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN YET. Legend says WWII VMF SUBS were filled with rats, cockroaches and all manner of vermin, as well as being rust buckets most of the time.

They were also infamous for not being very good in any sort of technical spec, so far as I've heard. PLEASE someone prove me wrong!

They did manage to sink enemy ships(somehow) but they are most famous for two war crimes that went unpunished, two of the largest collective losses of life in recorded naval history.(one of them is still in the record books to this day)

Edited by legoboy0401

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,142 posts
14,547 battles

German and USN.

The Germans were the pioneers of submarine warfare and their tactics.

The USN Submarines in WWII accomplished what the Germans could not.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,555 battles

Germany better be the first nation to receive submarines, or at least one of the first. Their U-Boats are the cream of the crop.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester
1,303 posts
403 battles
1 minute ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Their U-Boats are the cream of the crop.

Cream of the crop....

and yet their most advanced Uboat is outperformed by a 1933 designed USN Class sub, other than underwater speed.

They most certainly were not the cream of the crop. USN, and IJN both outperformed them completely. They were also pretty terrible performance wise in terms of tones sunk, considering how many of them were built.

• Cool 1