You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

PSA: RN Event Crates - Expensive + Very Low DD Mission Drop Rate BEWARE!

117 comments in this topic

[P2W]
Members
376 posts
10,201 battles
8 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

I can't wait till they outlaw loot boxes.  It will be the best thing to happen to gaming.  It is like the worst kind of microtransaction.  Anything that manipulates people into spending money where they normally wouldn't should be outlawed.

Can you describe the gunman who showed up at your door and made you buy these? We’re going to have to keep an eye out for him. 

You know that most states sell scratch tickets everywhere and they have much worse payouts, right? I’m glad to say that I have been able to avoid blowing my money on those too. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,454 posts
22,927 battles
16 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Ok, so as I usually do when a new event comes out that has crates in the shop I buy a bunch for the flags, camo, collection pieces, etc... If they offer ships or ship missions that is a bonus and not why I buy them. IMO these new RN crates are over priced for what you get (should have been 10 flags and 10 camo not 5 based on the price compared to previous event crates) and the fact these are just standard ships and not premiums. I bought some anyway however as I am low on flags and I wanted to help our clan out with some oil towards the clan base rebuild. 

So with the crates I bought dropping a lot of sovereigns I used those to go in the shop and buy Warspite and Gallant for the doubloon value (forget exact amount but it is 9K+ total as I recall - 4K something for each) as I already had them. I then grabbed the alternate Gallant perma camo. Once I was done with that I used my remaining sovereigns to buy 5 packs of the regular crates like we will be able to win (60 sovereigns for a 5 pack). I then just kept buying crates and then using those sovereigns to buy more until I ran out. My goal was to get as much clan oil as I could because I didn't need anything else in the RN Arsenal.

So that brings me to the 2 main points of this post...

1. These containers offer average value at best. While not as overpriced as the Go Navy event ones were these offer very little for that big price tag. The actual content is good but WG nerfed the awarded #'s of the flags and camos heavily so the value just isn't really there. I would say the value equates to breaking even for $ spent or maybe be into + territory by a hair. It certainly isn't a great value like some of the others have been. The French BB event is the most comparable to this one and those containers were a much better value. Be aware if you will buy crates you are not doubling or more your investment as we have been able to do in the past. Not even close and not even with doubloons for Gallant and Warspite.
  2. Be aware the drop rate is extremely low for the DD Missions in these crates and especially the regular/arsenal ones. Lowest I have ever seen for this type of thing. In the ones in the past I have always received every mission and got them long before I stopped getting/opening crates. I was only able to get 3 of the 4 missions for this. While the missions were not the reason I bought crates I did expect to get them tbh. I was able to get the T5/T6/T7 Missions but not the T8. I literally opened HUNDREDS of crates (premium and regular/arsenal combined). The 3 Missions came from the premium crates. Not 1 from the regular/arsenal ones and I easily opened like 3X's as many of those.  The drop rate is just very low.

So if you want to buy these crates in the premium shop understand you are really only getting spent value. No massive extra value like we have seen in the past. This is a break even or slightly profit event. And if you expect to get the DD's be prepared for a very low drop rate. IF you will only get the regular/arsenal crates through game play ( earned and with sovereigns from those in the arsenal) understand the missions are very scarce.

Don't regret the purchases made today at all. Not what this is about. My flags and camo supplies are in good shape again and I was able to help the clan with a good chunk of oil for the overhaul of the base so I did what I wanted. I will admit though I was surprised, and even a bit disappointed, that the DD missions didn't all drop. With the # of crates opened I should have picked up that T8 for the 4th and final mission.  It felt like waiting for a SC that never arrived. 

Hope this helps and good luck to all. :Smile_honoring:

EDIT - Warspite gives 4550 doubloons and Gallant gives 4500 so 9050 doubloons in total for the 2 if you have them already.

About the Warspite

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
2,289 posts
12,318 battles
21 minutes ago, KaptainNemo_1 said:

Can you describe the gunman who showed up at your door and made you buy these? We’re going to have to keep an eye out for him. 

You know that most states sell scratch tickets everywhere and they have much worse payouts, right? I’m glad to say that I have been able to avoid blowing my money on those too. 

Just last week a state treasury officer pointed a gun at me and told me to hand over $20.  After I had given him the $20, he handed me two $10 Lotto tickets.  I won squat.  But I took solace in the fact that I funded 4 minutes of a state worker's salary that day.  

(I crack myself up)

• Boring 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
50 minutes ago, KaptainNemo_1 said:

Who cares.  They shouldn't be in any game to begin with.  Content is designed around loot boxes, not rewarding good game play.  Games are about gameplay, not spending money.

• Boring 2

[ARGSY]
Members
14,036 posts
9,057 battles
1 hour ago, JonnyFreedom said:

I can't wait till they outlaw loot boxes.  It will be the best thing to happen to gaming.  It is like the worst kind of microtransaction.  Anything that manipulates people into spending money where they normally wouldn't should be outlawed.

And who gets to determine that? The ships will be free eventually. You're spending money to take a chance on getting something you know you can eventually have for no cash changing hands. It's all on you. 

9 hours ago, JonnyFreedom said:

20 crates.. only t5,t6 missions.  Very Disappointed.  You would think dropping 60 bucks on the game would get you all 4 automatically.

Wow, we are entitled, aren't we? I can recall some chap back in February ranting and screaming that it was unfair because $500 worth of French crates didn't get him the Richelieu unlock mission. Never mind that with far less than that, he could have obtained enough silver and converted enough free XP to get her when the full line dropped.

7 hours ago, SmokeHenge said:

5 crates for Acasta.  Good enough for me.

My tip: if you wouldn’t spend money on the French containers today for a shot at getting missions for free tech BBs, you probably shouldn’t buy RN containers.  These ships will all be available shortly and its the exact same premise.

Someone speaks sense. YOU the user have to decide whether it is worth YOUR money to POSSIBLY get an unlock and skip some grinds. Would I like the Lightning to pop out of my very first standard RN crate, fully upgraded and ready to rock? Hell, yeah!! But at the same time, I wouldn't have a flavour for the line from the ground up, and with these DDs playing differently from every other one before them, I might not make best use of her.

I was very grateful to get the Bretagne and Normandie early from the French free crates, but battleships generally play similarly to each other across all nations that have them (or at least more so than these destroyers are going to), and I wasn't going to lose much by skipping Turenne and Courbet. Skipping everything from Medea to Jervis and going straight into the Lightning - which would be my first-ever T8 destroyer - would be a whole different kettle of fish.

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And who gets to determine that? The ships will be free eventually. You're spending money to take a chance on getting something you know you can eventually have for no cash changing hands. It's all on you. 

Wow, we are entitled, aren't we? I can recall some chap back in February ranting and screaming that it was unfair because $500 worth of French crates didn't get him the Richelieu unlock mission. Never mind that with far less than that, he could have obtained enough silver and converted enough free XP to get her when the full line dropped.

Someone speaks sense. YOU the user have to decide whether it is worth YOUR money to POSSIBLY get an unlock and skip some grinds. Would I like the Lightning to pop out of my very first standard RN crate, fully upgraded and ready to rock? Hell, yeah!! But at the same time, I wouldn't have a flavour for the line from the ground up, and with these DDs playing differently from every other one before them, I might not make best use of her.

I was very grateful to get the Bretagne and Normandie early from the French free crates, but battleships generally play similarly to each other across all nations that have them (or at least more so than these destroyers are going to), and I wasn't going to lose much by skipping Turenne and Courbet. Skipping everything from Medea to Jervis and going straight into the Lightning - which would be my first-ever T8 destroyer - would be a whole different kettle of fish.

It isn't entitlement.  It is a time value assessment.  A triple A title (this isn't) costs 60.00 and gets everything.  This game, 60.00 gets a chance at an item.  See the problem here?  While this game is fun, it has a VERY small player base.  I am currently looking at 5601 players on NA.  Maybe they need to step back and wonder why.

• Cool 1

[-SF-]
Members
289 posts
4,293 battles
4 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

While this game is fun, it has a VERY small player base.  I am currently looking at 5601 players on NA.  Maybe they need to step back and wonder why.

My guess would be that it's Thursday morning and the majority of people have school or jobs to attend to. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
3 minutes ago, Ashy_GB said:

My guess would be that it's Thursday morning and the majority of people have school or jobs to attend to. 

Peak times on weekend it is 14k'ish

[ARGSY]
Members
14,036 posts
9,057 battles
12 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

A triple A title (this isn't) costs 60.00 and gets everything.  This game, 60.00 gets a chance at an item. See the problem here?

No, I don't. If you think it's worth spending $60 solely for a chance at something which can eventually be yours for nothing, I can't convince you of what I see as the absurdity of that position.

If you're spending it for everything else that's in the crates (including the sovereigns that you can cash in on two premium ships, or their doubloon equivalent if you already have them), then according to one of our most aggressive self-admitted Wallet Warriors you are in a break-even position or maybe slightly better (compared to what the flags/camos are worth in-game), with a small chance of a very nice early bonus destroyer (or two, three or four) fully upgraded.

I'm not going to spend a single cent on unlocking ships that I will eventually grind up to anyway, and I don't spend money for flags. If I win an unlock crate in the course of play (as I did twice in the French event) and get even one ship, I will be very well content. I DID take a gamble in the American arc and bought five crates in the hope of a premium destroyer unlock, but I accepted at the start that I might only walk away with the flags - and that was exactly what happened. I also gambled no more than the cost of the cheapest ship.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[POET]
Members
211 posts
6,578 battles

I so wish I had come on to the forums to read this thread before logging in to buy crates.

Just spent £80 and only got 3 of the missions - am soo not happy with myself nor WG for that

not even a 25% chance to get a quest is shocking compared to the past - #rippedoff + RNG Hates me so bad in the past is why I bought crates

Edited by Feclez

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts

A simple solution would have been

Set of 5 crates = 1 quest.

Set of 20 crates = 4 quests.

Set of 40 crates = 4 quests.

Why even do a possibility of ship quests when it comes to RL money?  Ensure people get value from their crate.  If I feel like I am getting screwed on crates, I will stop buying crates.  Only reason I bought these crates was because I already had a Warspite and want the dubloons back.  The flags were a bonus, but the Warspite is what did it for me.

Edited by JonnyFreedom
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,224 posts
10,902 battles

Bought the 1 crate for $3 and amongst the goodies was the Acasta personal mission. Just luck?

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
2,289 posts
12,318 battles
2 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I got the lightning on my 17th crate. I think the drop rate is insanely good. 

It's insanely good...and bad at the same time.  I bought 20 and got the T5, T6 and T8 in the first 5 crates.  Then nothing for the next 15 crates.  Not complaining as I'm more than happy with the result but it was a bit surreal going from one end of the 'luck' spectrum to the other while opening those last 15 crates.  Each one was, 'surely this crate will have the T7'.

[_RNG_]
Members
111 posts
5,101 battles
18 hours ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

LOL that's just silly. Why does it matter, I'm trying to figure out if you bought the 20 pack or the other. One guy who bought the 20 pack got the same missions. Its important to figuring out if the t8 is only dropping in the most expensive pack. 

No, I got the tier 5, 6 and 8 out of the 20 pack. I'm pretty sure that's not the biggest but it's what I got.

[-VT-]
Members
340 posts
5,254 battles

Spent near enough 40 bucks on containers, not a single mission. A little bit miffed to be honest, but such is life. I won't be buying anymore for this event.

Edited by Monty9185

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,353 posts
13,075 battles

Thanks Admiral. I always appreciate your thoughts on this stuff.

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,256 posts
12,938 battles
19 hours ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

If anyone gets the t8 mission from buying a single container or  a pack of 5 please post it. I want to know if its possible. 

I got the T6 from box #2, T8 was #20. So yeah, Possible but not likely. 

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,256 posts
12,938 battles

BTW I did get all four in the first 20. The other stuff from the boxes was well worth the cost. 

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,130 posts
12,324 battles
23 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

EDIT - Warspite gives 4550 doubloons and Gallant gives 4500 so 9050 doubloons in total for the 2 if you have them already.

Isn't that supposed to be 6500 and 4500?

uWEE7cg.jpg

[PVE]
Members
9,690 posts
17,278 battles
Just now, SyndicatedINC said:

Isn't that supposed to be 6500 and 4500?

uWEE7cg.jpg

It's an oversite on their part. Has to do with Warspite being on sale overlapping with the RN Event which ends up giving the sale price in doubloons vs the stated full 6500. They are issuing the 1950 doubloons difference to people once the sale ends in a few days.

• Cool 1