You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

The Joy of Losing - Learning to Have Fun

38 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

Over the years, I've seen so many posts on the forums, attacking their fellow players, lamenting the lack of skill, or widespread calls for thousands of players to uninstall the game.  It's time to look into this phenomenon of why an entertainment video game can bring so much anger and misery.  You are supposed to be having fun after all, and half the players must inevitably lose because of the multiplayer format.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles

Well, this enlighted outlook you've developed for playing this game has me wondering if this is the game for you anymore :Smile_smile:

I myself NEVER check my stats. I know they suck but so far still manage to have fun playing.

Edited by Aurora_7
added thought
  • Cool 1

[FSA]
Beta Testers
165 posts
5,174 battles

Strange philosophy for a war game.

Members
3,723 posts
14,989 battles

Humans are competitive and enjoy winning more than losing. Shocking.

• Cool 3

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,037 battles
1 minute ago, Preteen said:

Humans are competitive and enjoy winning more than losing. Shocking.

Wait I've been playing with Humans the whole time??!!

• Funny 1

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,868 posts
6,855 battles

Losing is all well and good when it's a well fought battle.

Losing when it's a curb stomp is altogether a different matter.

A good fight, an enjoyable fight, is one where the outcome is undecided till the last minute.  That's a nail biter; that's entertaining... Even if you lose.

A bad fight, an unenjoyable fight, is one where the outcome is set long before the end and the interim is just prolonging the agony.  Even if you're on the winning side, even if the teams are trading ships... It's no fun.

Matches like the latter are like falling to your death and seeing the ground coming... the end is inevitable, and because of that inevitability it ruins everything that comes before it.

• Cool 3

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,868 posts
6,855 battles
9 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Wait I've been playing with Humans the whole time??!!

If you'd been playing with bots on your team you wouldn't be so salty because they'd be making fewer stupid decisions.

[XXX]
[XXX]
Members
16 posts
12,038 battles

Any tips on dealing with players with a defeatist attitude?  Know more than a couple that want to give up after the first salvos miss their target.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
505 posts
1,035 battles
41 minutes ago, Sensai_Lawrence said:

losing does not exist in this dojo.  if you want to lose join a knitting class.  

Actually, Sensai, there is no losing in knitting, there is only done or undone...:Smile_Default:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
49 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

Remember that's it's suppose to be entertainment, and not a military simulation designed for training or to test war theories.

• Cool 2

Members
1,564 posts
9,984 battles

Cannabis will be legal in Canada in October so they joy of losing will soon be a reality here 

[RST]
[RST]
Members
171 posts
14,916 battles

This is a good episode. Though it may go over they heads or in one ear and out the other. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,448 posts
11,755 battles

Got minnow tuesday.

7 battles, 0 wins.

Avg dam 63k

Dest ratio 1.6...

Most fun I've ever had losing 

• Cool 1

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,670 posts
3,924 battles

Someone please photoshop a sad Bob Ross painting a giant sub-50% WR for me please please and caption it 'The Joy of Losing'.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
9,688 posts
7,466 battles
24 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Actually, Sensai, there is no losing in knitting, there is only done or undone...:Smile_Default:

:Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Members
2,580 posts
18,824 battles

ive had my share of loses that were super fun, very close matches where both sides expressed mutual respect for the other. I've also had my share of salty losses where what should have been an easy win is thrown away due to kill greed or damage greed. Thats not fun at all.

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
2 hours ago, Sensai_Lawrence said:

losing does not exist in this dojo.  if you want to lose join a knitting class.  

If losing doesn't exist, than neither can winning.....

• Cool 1

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Cannabis will be legal in Canada in October so they joy of losing will soon be a reality here 

Yes, my guy will be losing, I'm going to start ordering it online!

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
2 hours ago, Kraayt said:

I dunno, it depends whether you see a "war game" as being war with infinitely lesser stakes, or a game about war.

• Cool 2

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,022 posts

You can't really enjoy losing in these sort of rando pub match type games because that would force that everybody learn from their mistakes while also trying their best. That never happens in these sorts of these games.

[POP]
Members
596 posts
11,985 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

Remember that's it's suppose to be entertainment, and not a military simulation designed for training or to test war theories.

But it was designed with a team and personal scores and ways to both win and lose points as a team. Someone wins or loses every match unless its a tie, entertaining or not, that makes competition to see who can win. Don't get me wrong I completely agree with the video, but human nature and how different cultures put importance on winning is always going to have an influence, especially in a game that is made to win and is costly in one form or another to lose.

Edited by Alabamastan

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
20 hours ago, Alabamastan said:

But it was designed with a team and personal scores and ways to both win and lose points as a team. Someone wins or loses every match unless its a tie, entertaining or not, that makes competition to see who can win. Don't get me wrong I completely agree with the video, but human nature and how different cultures put importance on winning is always going to have an influence, especially in a game that is made to win and is costly in one form or another to lose.

That is the inherent flaw with some of these multiplayer games.  Perhaps in the future, multiplayer games will be designed to pay more attention to making "losing" more engaging.  Video games 20 years from now could be very different then how they are now.  As Einstein once said "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."  Losing is suppose to be a valuable learning experience, and not a reason for horrible negative emotions, at least in the field of entertainment.  That would be like making a movie where 50% audience members leave the theatres feeling like trash and the other feeling like a million bucks.  This is a horribly inefficient way of "entertaining" the masses.

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,868 posts
6,855 battles
On 9/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, Shadewe said:

This is a good episode. Though it may go over they heads or in one ear and out the other. 

ever since this EC has lost all credibility to me.

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,868 posts
6,855 battles
3 hours ago, Sventex said:

Losing is suppose to be a valuable learning experience, and not a reason for horrible negative emotions, at least in the field of entertainment.

i like how you draw a distinction between the two when there really isn't one.

the learning experience IS that losing brings with it horrible negative emotions, and thus you should strive to do better to avoid losing, and thereby avoid said horrible negative emotions.

if you mitigate or eliminate the negative impacts of losing, you remove the incentive to win (and as an inevitable consequence of marginalizing winning, you concurrently marginalize the learning experience... nobody will bother to put in the effort to learn and get better if playing badly and losing feels the same as playing well and winning does)

Edited by Shadeylark