You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Slimeball91

Subs, what we know from the video.

8 comments in this topic

[SBS]
Members
2,475 posts
2,253 battles

There seems to be some confusion on what subs can and can't do as seen from the demo video.  I'd like to share some of my observations in an attempt to help everyone have a better understanding of what we know as of now.  Please add you general comments on subs to other threads as this one is about what we know about how they will work in game.  If you want to share your thoughts on these specific sub mechanics feel free.  I just don't want to debate whether subs will be good for the game in this discussion.  Thank you. 

My observations in no particular order.

-Subs have three depths thay can operate at.

Surfaced, with an detection range of ~5km or so.

Periscope depth, detection range of ~4.5km

Fully submerged, no normal detection range (invisible to surface ships outside of assured detection range). 

-Subs only have one or two forward firing torps, and one rear firing torp, all with a fairly narrow firing arc (no main guns, no AA).

-Subs can only fire their torps surfaced and at periscope depths.  They can not fire fully submerged.

Subs on the surface have an RNG element to where there torps will go when fired aking them hard to hit targets. 

Torps fired at periscope depth don't seem to have this RGN element.

Torp alpha ~10,000-17,000.

-Subs have a health pool ranging from 6,400-11,700 HP.

-Sub consumables, damage control and hydro.

-Subs have top speed of ~17 kts. (and they have the same top speed submerged as on the surface).

-Subs can dive to depths of 100-150 meters.

-Subs can stay submerged for approximately 1:20. 

It seems to take the same amount of time to fully recharge your oxygen levels while surfaced (1:20).

Once subs run out of oxygen while submerged they will automatically surface.

-There will be depth charges to attack subs, fired from DDs.

Depth charges will detonate at random depths, and can cause direct damage, splash damage, and fires.

Fire and flooding will act the same for subs on the surface and submerged.

-Subs will only be in the Halloween event as a test to determine possible inclusion in the game if player feedback is positive.

At this point WG hasn't decided to include subs into the game.  The Halloween event is test only.  If player feedback is positive WG will likely look into farther development.

Okay, that's what I have for now.  I may have missed or forgotten some things.  Feels free to add anything I've missed or gotten wrong.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,725 posts
7,705 battles

I think its safe to say that that the submarine characteristics presented here are for the demo of the halloween even and could vary more if they get added to the game.

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
2,475 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

I think its safe to say that that the submarine characteristics presented here are for the demo of the halloween even and could vary more if they get added to the game.

I totally agree.  What we've seen, and what the op will play like will likely be a long way from anything we might end up with if subs make into the game fully.

[FGNE]
Members
347 posts
2,477 battles
28 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I totally agree.  What we've seen, and what the op will play like will likely be a long way from anything we might end up with if subs make into the game fully.

Indeed,... also ASW has been barely addressed, much less sub vs sub warfare.

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles

I just can see the appeal for subs in this game, myself. 

I was a big sub-sim player years ago and it's just a different kind of warfare.

I know it's arcade style action here for the warship battles but the arcade factor would have to be amplified for subs to be part of the battles here. Their underwater speed will have to be amplified as well as their maneuverability to the point it'd be too unrealistic a game play, at least for me.

When I was using other game sims for U-Boats and Gato boats I saw it as a cat and mouse kind of play that played out over an extended time but I suppose the time acceration I would sometime use would be similar to what sub play here would be.

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

Subs on the surface have an RNG element to where there torps will go when fired aking them hard to hit targets. 

Torps fired at periscope depth don't seem to have this RGN element.

This seems counter-intuitive.

Wouldn't you expect the more vulnerable position to give you more accuracy?

[SBS]
Members
2,475 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

This seems counter-intuitive.

Wouldn't you expect the more vulnerable position to give you more accuracy?

I think its meant as a balancing mechanic that will have a more meaningful impact if subs make it to the game.  The RNG torps on the surface might be to limit their overall effectiveness as invisible snipers, assuming you have to spend a fair amount of time on the surface if they make it to the game.  That's just a guess.

[PVE]
Members
9,688 posts
7,466 battles

I wonder if some of the captains on the subs had the SE skill. T7 * 350 is 2,450. That could be why in sub was 11k+ and the other 6k+. They might be stock 6k+ and 8k+ which makes more sense.