You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ares1967

A Tier 1 story...

23 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
794 posts
8,257 battles

So I'm dived up with @Falcor93 last night when he picks.. Tier 1. I don't even have a T1, but ok, I buy Hashidate and stick 19pt Yamamoto in it since he's already "assigned" to Hashidate. (Back story, until last night I had never played a single battle in any IJN tech tree ship.)

I tell him, we're gonna get our butts kicked by the T1 clubbers. He says there isn't any clubbers in the match, nobody but us are even in a clan.....

Alright, load up MM Monitor and....

Orlan on the red team has 8088 battles in that ship with a 67% win rate. I think he totals 8200 battles. A couple of other players are over 500 battles in the ships they're playing. Every single player with more than 10 battles is solid purple.

We got our butts kicked, teeth smashed in, and heads busted.

Tier 1 is SCARY! :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 4

Members
1,765 posts
795 battles

Don't go tier 1 random.  It is an entire subculture of WoWs.

They aren't seal clubbing. 

It is a separate world.

• Funny 2

[BLHK]
Members
330 posts
3,429 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Don't go tier 1 random.  It is an entire subculture of WoWs.

They aren't seal clubbing. 

It is a separate world.

Yuuuuuuup I went in there once out of boredom just to mess around with my Black Swan

Them guys is mean lol

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,224 battles

I've been into T1 Randoms recently when I knew what to expect, just before the Black Swan got converted to HE shells. I considered myself lucky if I managed to sink a ship before going down.

If you want to club T1 seals, co-op is the place to do that and slaughter the bots.

Members
4,170 posts

Last time I went T1, did coop to get rid of the pink.  Did 5 games in a bit more than I would 1 random game.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,835 posts
1,327 battles
4 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Last time I went T1, did coop to get rid of the pink.  Did 5 games in a bit more than I would 1 random game.

Yeah, T1 Co-Op is a bit of harmless shoot-em-up fun.  T1 Random is wth time!

• Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,607 posts
9,000 battles

We did a three ship tier 1 division awhile back and there was another three ship division, It was actually a very good match. Of course the other division spawned across from us and the two divisions started dancing with little damage done but finally they got some good shots in on me and I went down making it three vs two but I had done a lot of damage to them. Being busy we hadn't noticed that while we were dancing that the rest of our team had cleaned clock on their team. I checked stats afterwards and while we had the more experienced team it wasn't by a lot and most had less than 100 matches and none of them looked like rerolls.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,224 battles
25 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I checked stats afterwards and while we had the more experienced team it wasn't by a lot and most had less than 100 matches and none of them looked like rerolls.

Evidently all the Murder Seals were clubbing each other elsewhere at that time. :Smile_teethhappy: You won't always run into the hard core, but when you do, you are in HUGE trouble.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,607 posts
9,000 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Evidently all the Murder Seals were clubbing each other elsewhere at that time. :Smile_teethhappy: You won't always run into the hard core, but when you do, you are in HUGE trouble.

Actually it isn't the professional seal clubbers you need to worry about it is the visiting seal clubbers.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,224 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Actually it isn't the professional seal clubbers you need to worry about it is the visiting seal clubbers.

But when the visitors run into the professional Murder Seals, the home team often wins. :Smile_teethhappy:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,402 posts
3,875 battles

It's not that these folks play in tier 1, or how good they purportedly are. It's the attitudes they have about playing exclusively tier 1 that really annoys me.

Some garbage about how tier 1 is "the purest form of the game".

Yeah, must be fun not having to think about angling, or torpedoes, or aircraft, or any consumable, or going faster than 20 knots. I guess the game is fun when you play a mode that allows you to ignore most of its mechanics.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

Members
640 posts
7,037 battles
2 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

So I'm dived up with @Falcor93 last night when he picks.. Tier 1. I don't even have a T1, but ok, I buy Hashidate and stick 19pt Yamamoto in it since he's already "assigned" to Hashidate. (Back story, until last night I had never played a single battle in any IJN tech tree ship.)

I tell him, we're gonna get our butts kicked by the T1 clubbers. He says there isn't any clubbers in the match, nobody but us are even in a clan.....

Orlan on the red team has 8088 battles in that ship with a 67% win rate. I think he totals 8200 battles. A couple of other players are over 500 battles in the ships they're playing. Every single player with more than 10 battles is solid purple.

I feel absolved from my Kamikaze Play.

Tier 1, really............?

Members
1,765 posts
795 battles
13 minutes ago, Capt_Mexib said:

Tier 1 outside of new player protected mode has a core of dedicated Tier 1 players.  Not because they can club (I dunno, some probably do), but because they like it.

• Cool 1

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles

I don't know if I've ever played T1 in Random. Times I remember attempting it I always bailed because I was too impatiint because it looked like the systems was going to use all 5 minutes to get a match going.

But this 'Wild West'-like playing bieng described had ma masocism interest pealed....

[INTEL]
Members
794 posts
8,257 battles
22 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It's not that these folks play in tier 1, or how good they purportedly are. It's the attitudes they have about playing exclusively tier 1 that really annoys me.

Some garbage about how tier 1 is "the purest form of the game".

Yeah, must be fun not having to think about angling, or torpedoes, or aircraft, or any consumable, or going faster than 20 knots. I guess the game is fun when you play a mode that allows you to ignore most of its mechanics.

Sorta agree, kinda like the diff between playing checkers and 3 dimensional chess. Game gets a lot "easier" in some ways when you never have to worry about being cross dropped, stealth torped, radared or focused by BBs from 25km.

OTOH, if thats the game they wanna play and they enjoy it, more power to em. They're certainly better at that tier than I ever wanna be!

[WOLFC]
Members
180 posts
13,990 battles

I spent quite a while playing nothing but tier 1 random, in a Hashidate. I came to recognize a number of players who I would meet again and again. I learned which ones I wanted on my team and I learned which ones I didn't want to face on the opposing team. One thing's for sure, it taught me exactly where to hit every tier 1 ship to get a citadel and how to use every bit of range I had.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,402 posts
3,875 battles
Just now, Ares1967 said:

Sorta agree, kinda like the diff between playing checkers and 3 dimensional chess. Game gets a lot "easier" in some ways when you never have to worry about being cross dropped, stealth torped, radared or focused by BBs from 25km.

OTOH, if thats the game they wanna play and they enjoy it, more power to em. They're certainly better at that tier than I ever wanna be!

Yeah more power to them, I just wish they'd stop acting so smug about it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,607 posts
9,000 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But when the visitors run into the professional Murder Seals, the home team often wins. :Smile_teethhappy:

It all depends on how many you run into, professional seal clubbers are only truly dangerous when in packs.

29 minutes ago, Capt_Mexib said:

It can be great fun on occasion, no torpedoes, no planes, just guns.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,835 posts
1,327 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It can be great fun on occasion, no torpedoes, no planes, just guns.

Just another facet of the variety you can get in World of Warships.  There's really nothing that I play 'all the time'.  That becomes too much like a job after a while.  Why should I play 3 ships when I have 100+ in my port?  YMMV, of course!

[A_51]
Members
264 posts
13,026 battles

So then, it sounds like the real seal clubbing happens at Tier 2?

[VW]
Members
1,934 posts
12,495 battles
3 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

I played a couple, the 10 min standoff tier 10 style was obscene. Doesnthe post nerf black swan still play?

• Cool 1

Members
688 posts
4,371 battles
4 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I played a couple, the 10 min standoff tier 10 style was obscene. Doesnthe post nerf black swan still play?

This. T1 is actually really easy. If you know how to aim and use cover you're about as good as that 8,000 game Orlan player because there's practically nothing to learn about the ships and their gameplay beyond those basic concepts. Most people will find optimal T1 play to be horribly boring however. I played a serious T1 game when the Pan Asian line was released and did quite well but it was the most boring experience I have ever had in this game. 

Edited by Rocketpacman

[RST]
[RST]
Members
171 posts
14,889 battles
3 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

The first time I seen players with that many battles at that tier. I was shocked. Though you have to like that the person knows what he likes.