You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mavairo

West Virgina shouldn't be some crappy T6.. she should be a Beast, set at 8

463 comments in this topic

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
3,973 battles

Sorry Wargaming, you can't do this to the most potent of the Colorado hulls. WV was the most accurate ship going, she had an AA suite that would make an Iowa blush, and a world beating TDS. Some A Hull Colorado, down at 6 isn't going to cut the mustard here, and it's an insult to the ships name and legacy. I've been looking forward to West Virginia for a long time, but hearing it be a 6? That's so down right insulting that it's actually uninstall worthy. Make it an 8, give it a 2.1 sigma, give it the best TDS of any USN BB, and an Iowa's AA. Like it should have. 

I don't care that you'd rather be lazy try to cash in on a storied name, by reusing exact colorado hull graphics, but this isn't the WV at all as everyone came to know her by the end of WW2. You want a T6 premium? give us a Tennessee class instead. Don't insult the ship. Don't insult the fans. Wasn't Graf Zeppelin enough of a flogging for you guys?

• Cool 11
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 7
  • Angry 1

[WOLF6]
Members
314 posts
4,551 battles
14 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

21 knots at T8?

DtgNkwA.gif

I despise memes but in this case . Exactly this . ^^^^

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
3,973 battles
16 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

21 knots at T8?

DtgNkwA.gif

With as static as high tier gameplay is, speed really isn't that big of a deal. We spend most of our time parked, or going 3/4 or less anyway.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles
14 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

21 knots at T8?

Does 6.5kts make such a difference that an updated WV would be noncompetitive against a pretty-universally-admired NC?

-R

Members
3,725 posts
15,042 battles

It's a meh ship not worthy of a T8 spot. Sorry, OP, T6 is a more suitable place for WV.

Edited by Preteen
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 6

[HINON]
Members
9,039 posts
3 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Does 6.5kts make such a difference that an updated WV would be noncompetitive against a pretty-universally-admired NC?

-R

Yes.

• Cool 1

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
3,973 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

Yes.

You are forgetting the part where she would have the most effective volley of any of the T8 USN BBs with by far superior accuracy in both dispersion and sigma. The fact that she has more armor than a north carolina class, and a vastly superior TDS. And comparable if not superior AA suite. 

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
3,973 battles

Image result for uss west virginia bb 48
Again this isn't some dumpy *** Colorado. She received such an extensive refit that she was practically her own class after Pearl Harbor. WV holds the record for longest distance shot, that hit, at night. On her first volley, and scored successive hits on her next volley. Dumpy A Hull doesn't deserve the WV name. 

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,238 posts
12,778 battles
32 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

21 knots at T8?

Yes, because high tier play is famous for its dynamic, high-octane, fast paced and absolutely not static whatsoever gameplay - ... oh, wait.

I for one agree with the OP. WV is symbolic for the rise from the ashes after Pearl Harbor. She had her entire superstructure rebuilt and her hull was significantly modified as well.

#WV44

In my mind the Puget Sound refit on standard types is worth a bump in tier in and of itself, with massaged gun handling and accuracy stats. See my California proposal for more info.

• Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Yes.

Okay then.  I highly doubt it, but it doesn't look like anyone's getting the chance to find out so there really isn't much point in belaboring things.

2 minutes ago, Mavairo said:

You are forgetting the part where she would have the most effective volley of any of the T8 USN BBs with by far superior accuracy in both dispersion and sigma.

Eeeeeeeeeeh... not so certain the devs would allow NC's to be less effective.  Stats based on what was really a very lucky shot isn't a thing WG does very often.  Otherwise Warspite's unassisted range would be 24km. 

-R

[HINON]
Members
9,039 posts
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yes, because high tier play is famous for its dynamic, high-octane, fast paced and absolutely not static whatsoever gameplay - ... oh, wait.

I for one agree with the OP. WV is symbolic for the rise from the ashes after Pearl Harbor. She had her entire superstructure rebuilt and her hull was significantly modified as well.

#WV44

It can be static but the times you do need to move and reposition or push at speed means a 33% reduction in speed over the NC is a big deal. For the record, I would prefer she be a T7 premium tbh.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SIDE]
Members
733 posts
3,274 battles

It should be a tier 7 with a slightly slower loading gun. It's the Texas of the colarado.

Why do you want a 21 knot BB at tier 8? Do you not know how big tier 8-10 maps are??? 

Edited by Merlox

[HINON]
Supertester
19,238 posts
12,778 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

It can be static but the times you do need to move and reposition or push at speed means a 33% reduction in speed over the NC is a big deal.

You are absolutely correct. It is a big deal. Also, it's more like 27% instead of 33% but that's neither here nor there. And because the lack of speed is such a big deal, she'd make up for it in armor, accuracy, TDS, agility and AA.

Thing is though, if you want a fast BB at T8 there are already plenty of options. Faster than NC even, its not like that's a speed demon. I for one relish the thought of having a tough-as-nails brick at T8 that can out-turn a Russian 'destroyer' and has enough TDS and AA to worry T10 carriers.

WV44 was a real thing. She existed. She has a history, she symbolizes something. Something that no other ship, no other colorado class symbolizes. She is a unique ship with a unique refit and a unique history. Its a complete and utter insult to make her a dumpy A-hull at tier 6. An insult and a waste of potential, at that. They can use Maryland for that.

Why you gotta deny people what the sheer presence of WV44 threads proves people want just because you don't like slow ships? There already is a crappy A-hull 16" ship in the game at T6. And, look, it's even fast. So what niche does T6 WV fill? WV44 would fill one.

• Cool 20
  • Bad 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,238 posts
12,778 battles
8 minutes ago, Merlox said:

It should be a tier 7 with a slightly slower loading gun. It's the Texas of the colarado.

1) Yeah, about that. Not sure 'slightly slower loading' guns would make up for a massivly improved secondary battery, improved survivability and an AA suite orders of magnitudes better than the  tech tree one.

2) Explain to me how 'slightly slower loading' guns make sense when everything about the Puget Sound refit improved the ship.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

She hit Yamashiro at range? So what?

Warspite and Scharnhorst have the longest ranged main battery hits in history and look at their accuracy characteristics.

This does not in any way justify cruiser accuracy on West Virginia.

As someone who hated when this happened to Mutsu and got constantly harassed for not liking it: Doesn't feel good when it happens to a ship you like, does it?

• Cool 5
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 6

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles

Let them get her into the game and then you can push for a B hull with the upgrades.

Be aware that even if you get what you want, rockets (if the rework goes through) and HE spam are going to strip most of the light AA off in a hurry, and she will be a pinata for every cruiser driver with a module-breakage mission.

Members
64 posts
4,494 battles
23 minutes ago, Lert said:

There already is a crappy A-hull 16" ship in the game at T6. And, look, it's even fast. So what niche does T6 WV fill? WV44 would fill one.

can you point me in the direction of this T6 BB with 16 inch guns please

[HINON]
Supertester
19,238 posts
12,778 battles
3 minutes ago, Wicked_Little_Witch said:

can you point me in the direction of this T6 BB with 16 inch guns please

Mutsu.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,238 posts
12,778 battles
2 minutes ago, Wicked_Little_Witch said:

ty, never knew that. but I don't pay much attention to ijn line,is good to know

Mutsu is a decent ship. She's an a-hull Nagato with weaker, WWI era AP shells, softer armor but rapid reloading single tube torpedo launchers on each side, firing comically underpowered torpedoes.

The whole ship is quite meme.

[SIDE]
Members
733 posts
3,274 battles
33 minutes ago, Lert said:

1) Yeah, about that. Not sure 'slightly slower loading' guns would make up for a massivly improved secondary battery, improved survivability and an AA suite orders of magnitudes better than the  tech tree one.

2) Explain to me how 'slightly slower loading' guns make sense when everything about the Puget Sound refit improved the ship.

You gotta bring it down some what to keep it balanced with the Colorado. Not saying that it is realistic, but it's what they did with the Texas to keep it in line with the New York. That's to keep it to tier 7 ofcourse... No way that thing is gonna beat the Massachusetts in tier 8. You know? 
I donno. I'm just throwing ideas out. I know it's not the best but it's something.

Honestly they A hull should be another Colorado class that wasn't upgraded. Like the USS Maryland.