Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LancerUlysses

Happy International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

14 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Where is me Rum... Why is the Rum always gone AAARRRRGGGGHHH.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

Is there red flag awarded as usual?  My son just start playing, and he does not have any flags to hoist.

[1RD]
[1RD]
Members
133 posts
9,834 battles

Should be, but you have to change the language in Audio Settings to Pirate.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
37 minutes ago, MCBURL said:

Should be, but you have to change the language in Audio Settings to Pirate.

Nope.  Tried that, no flag for him.  Too bad, he wanted one.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,543 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Ahoy there, yeee scurvy dogs of the seven seas. 

:Smile_izmena:

3 possible translations there.
Translation 1 (the translation you are going for... I hope): Hello there, you scurvy dogs of the seven seas <--- this is due to the yee (though you added an extra e). Though the pronunciation is wrong, as yee would more pronounce as "thee," because of a character that no longer exists, called "thorn." The reason the character fell out of use, is because of lazy writers, writing thorn, and making it look more like a y.

Translation 2: Hello there, the scurvy dogs of the seven seas. <--- this is due to people thinking "ye" is the proper spelling, and as I mentioned, you added an extra e to the end, and it is possible you were trying to add more than just 1 extra e... Proper pronunciation of "ye" in this instance, is "the" once again due to the no longer used character, thorn.

Translation 3: Hello there, your scurvy dogs of the seven seas. <--- this once again, comes from "yee" but with an added e. "Yee" is an actual Old English Word meaning "your."

In either translation, it's wrong. "Ahoy þere, ya scurvy dogs of þe seven seas"... if you want to be accurate. And "ya" is pronounced in a manner, that it tries to be "yee" but not quite close.. something like "yea," or "yae..." not sure which better portrays what I am trying to say...

I do not apologize for this trivial knowledge, that no one on the forum likely cares about...

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
80 posts
5,340 battles

I got a pirate flag this morning, didn't have pirate voice activated.  FYI.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

Can confirm, my kid won random battle in Texas, and red pirate flag did show up in rewards and inventory.  Sadly he can’t hoist it until he gets to service record 14, bummer.  But thank you for heads up, he would have missed this opportunity.  It’s exciting to a new player that does not have any flags.

[FGNE]
Members
347 posts
2,477 battles
3 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Can confirm, my kid won random battle in Texas, and red pirate flag did show up in rewards and inventory.  Sadly he can’t hoist it until he gets to service record 14, bummer.  But thank you for heads up, he would have missed this opportunity.  It’s exciting to a new player that does not have any flags.

Thanks for the confirmation, for one reason or another I've never played on pirate day, so I don't have this flag... will make sure to play a game today.

Sign in to follow this