Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
navydataman

Anchors Aweigh

3 comments in this topic

[TF77V]
Members
10 posts
5,614 battles

Latest news posting says ACHORS AWAY. The U.S. Navy would never discard the anchors to shove off. The original order I think was "Weigh the  Anchors" which means pull them up from the bottom, adding the weight into the Hull weight. That got repeated as "Anchors Aweigh" which has since become the official song of the US navy. Be careful there.

Not mad, I think it is a common error even in the USA.

On reading a little more, the order was "weigh the anchor" and once the anchors were secure, the reply of "Anchors Aweigh" would tell the bridge officer of the deck that the anchors are secure. 

Edited by navydataman
  • Cool 2

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
304 posts
6,749 battles

They know. It was intended as a play on words because to attend you have to go "away". 

Edited by Vulgarr

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,468 posts
9,585 battles
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, navydataman said:

Latest news posting says ACHORS AWAY. The U.S. Navy would never discard the anchors to shove off. The original order I think was "Weigh the  Anchors" which means pull them up from the bottom, adding the weight into the Hull weight. That got repeated as "Anchors Aweigh" which has since become the official song of the US navy. Be careful there.

Not mad, I think it is a common error even in the USA.

On reading a little more, the order was "weigh the anchor" and once the anchors were secure, the reply of "Anchors Aweigh" would tell the bridge officer of the deck that the anchors are secure. 

Anchors Away is the response to the order "Weigh Anchors" You announce "Anchors Away" when the Anchor has cleared bottom. 

Not an error not a play on words.

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this