You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Curly__san

Currency Fatigue?

13 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
9,805 posts
7,492 battles
3 minutes ago, Curly__san said:

New currencies every patch now?

Think of them as tokens. Sovereigns and Guineas are temporary to the RN event.

You will earn Sovereigns in RN containers for completing Missions. Just play and you will get them.

You get one Guinea for every Directive you complete. There will be 48 Directives, 4 per week, from Sep 20th to Dec 10th. T8 Cossack will cost 50 Guineas, so if you are patient until Dec and play every week, you can get a T8 DD for $1-2.

Best times to play for Guineas are Sat to Mon as all four Directives for that week will be out.

• Cool 2

[H_]
Members
803 posts

A distracted enemy can not focus on a complicated objective and win.....  Want to wager that all of these value changes are distractions.............so that they internal costs can rise and no one would know the difference?

• Boring 1

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
271 posts
1,815 battles

If they just handed rewards out you'd be complaining you don't have choices.  Can't win.

• Cool 2

Members
18,284 posts
5,224 battles

It's really just a more visual representation of requirement chains for a given reward. Doing it with some form of tokens (resources are just renamed tokens) makes it easier for them to give you choices in your rewards. For example, the only thing I wanted to earn with my Anniversary tokens was the Edin camo, but there was a decent selection of alternatives. That would be hard to do without tokens.

It also allows carryover of reward potential from one event to another.

It also shows that, if they wish, they can easily remedy the biggest (probably only) complaint about awarded premium, that you have no control over when it starts.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

One other thing reason tokens is better than a simple 'progress bar': At the end of the event you get credits for unused tokens.

If it were just a progress bar, you would get nothing. Even if you had gotten 99% of the task done, you would get nothing. With tokens, if you get 99% of the tokens you needed for something you will get a fairly decent consolation prize (instead of nothing).

Members
18,284 posts
5,224 battles
2 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

A distracted enemy can not focus on a complicated objective and win.....  Want to wager that all of these value changes are distractions.............so that they internal costs can rise and no one would know the difference?

I'm sure that's the case to some degree, and any effect is compounded by impatience.

If I were in the position to buy extra items and such, I would wait until the end of the event, see what I've earned, figure out what I want, and buy what I'm missing.

And while your average player might end up falling prey, a shrewd player will likely be able to customise themselves a better deal than normally.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,455 posts
1,735 battles

Just a different name for the free tokens..     Tinfoil hats abound.  

Members
18,284 posts
5,224 battles

11 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

If they just handed rewards out you'd be complaining you don't have choices.  Can't win.

I'll admit, I was kind of "meh" about the concept of the arsenal, figured it would just be stuff I don't really need, but I'd buy whatever because, what else am I going to do with coal?

I'm pretty happy with it as presented, as I have lots of choice. I decided not to buy camo/flags. But I'm still wrestling with the decision to hold onto my 30k coal towards Musashi, or start saving from zero, and get the French and German commanders.

Having it split into coal and steel is nice, as I know I'm not likely to get an appreciable amount, so don't need to concern myself with steel rewards. 

Members
18,284 posts
5,224 battles
1 minute ago, RA6E_ said:

Just a different name for the free tokens..     Tinfoil hats abound.  

Well, to be fair, it does have the potential to obfuscate, but even if it does, only the paranoid will notice.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,360 posts
4,288 battles
17 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Aaand now you're into name-calling and tinfoil hat territory, and I'm IGNORING you from this point on.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

The Arsenal+Token system effectively turned event rewards into a shopping minigame. On the plus side, that makes it more interactive, you get more choice, and if you play well, you get more value. On the minus side, you have to play a minigame to get your stuff. So I guess it just depends where your preferences lie.

[PVE]
Members
9,805 posts
7,492 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

The Arsenal+Token system effectively turned event rewards into a shopping minigame. On the plus side, that makes it more interactive, you get more choice, and if you play well, you get more value. On the minus side, you have to play a minigame to get your stuff. So I guess it just depends where your preferences lie.

Most of the stuff you can earn just by playing. The Anniversary tokens were tied to 3k base XP and 4k base XP, so you just had to play.

In the RN event, the Missions will give RN containers with Sovereigns and you just have to play. The Missions are all active at the same time, so you can complete multiple ones at once. They will be things like; do X amount of damage in a single battle, spot Y enemies, earn Z credits. Most of them will be over any number of missions. Some will be for UK T5+ DDs only, so you will need Gallant or an early access UK DD for this patch. On Oct 17th, patch 7.10 drops and the UK DDs will be released. You can complete the Directives without the UK DD Missions.

Complete the number of Missions needed for a Directive, 3-5 and you will get a Guinea. There will be 4 Directives every week (Stage) and 4 Stages every patch. So from Sep 20th to Dec 10th, you have 48 Directives to earn 48 Guineas. T8 Cossack only costs 50 Guineas, so if you are patient and play every week, you can get Cossack for $1-2.