Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Feclez

Secondary Guns

16 comments in this topic

[FEC]
Members
61 posts
2,259 battles

Now I know how to fire the secondary guns manually so before anyone says how to do that...

My main enquiry is how come we cant set 2 Targets on a manual secondary fire (1 Each side of ship)??? And if its possible how is it done??

The reason im asking is that if you leave it to auto fire, you can have both sides of secondary's firing at 2 different ships either side of you that are within range, but are then basically penalised for using manual controls (yes I know you get increased acc for manual) 

Just having the off side your facing secondary's firing at a DD can send them scurrying away 

Edited by Feclez

Beta Testers
1,323 posts
3,585 battles

I have run several manual secondaries on the battleship lines and it only let's you select one target for manual secondaries. That being said don't do manual secondary build on British battleships ever it doesn't work and is garbage. American battleships is decent just the range is less and you lack good enough side armor. Japanese battleships tier 8-10 are decent with secondaries especially Hull C Izumo. German Battleships are good with secondaries and have decent range. French battleships are the best in range and secondary power I would say. Cruisers is it an absolute no as they're not enough secondaries on them to begin with. Stalingrad may be the only exception as it has 6.5 range on it's secondaries. I can't test out the manual secondary build on Stalingrad since I don't own her.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
3 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I have run several manual secondaries on the battleship lines and it only let's you select one target for manual secondaries. That being said don't do manual secondary build on British battleships ever it doesn't work and is garbage. American battleships is decent just the range is less and you lack good enough side armor. Japanese battleships tier 8-10 are decent with secondaries especially Hull C Izumo. German Battleships are good with secondaries and have decent range. French battleships are the best in range and secondary power I would say. Cruisers is it an absolute no as they're not enough secondaries on them to begin with. Stalingrad may be the only exception as it has 6.5 range on it's secondaries. I can't test out the manual secondary build on Stalingrad since I don't own her.

I believe it's more of Germany on top. France just has mentionable secondaries. Anything else a survival build would be better

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,551 posts
7,456 battles
28 minutes ago, Feclez said:

Now I know how to fire the secondary guns manually so before anyone says how to do that...

My main enquiry is how come we cant set 2 Targets on a manual secondary fire (1 Each side of ship)??? And if its possible how is it done??

The reason im asking is that if you leave it to auto fire, you can have both sides of secondary's firing at 2 different ships either side of you that are within range, but are then basically penalised for using manual controls (yes I know you get increased acc for manual) 

Just having the off side your facing secondary's firing at a DD can send them scurrying away 

23 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Balance

This :Smile_great:

I play mostly PvE, so it is not uncommon to be surrounded by bots, so I do not use MFCSA on my ships. PvP is different.

[FGNE]
Members
344 posts
2,467 battles

I had the same worries about manual secondaries OP, but the truth (at least in my experience) is that you don’t need them to fire both sides, and if for some reason you need to do so, use your main guns one side and the secondaries to the other.

If you find yourself often on that situation try to avoid it!, have your enemies on one side, otherwise you have been surrounded and that is a bad positional move.

[FEC]
Members
61 posts
2,259 battles
17 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Sweet Tx, I only ever really go for Secondary stuff at moment on the German line and some of the US stuff, but is good to know what other lines itll be useful on

[FEC]
Members
61 posts
2,259 battles
14 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

I had the same worries about manual secondaries OP, but the truth (at least in my experience) is that you don’t need them to fire both sides, and if for some reason you need to do so, use your main guns one side and the secondaries to the other.

If you find yourself often on that situation try to avoid it!, have your enemies on one side, otherwise you have been surrounded and that is a bad positional move.

Its normally something I find towards the later of a match (not all the time) but then it also depends if im forcing a move etc on a couple of ships.. Sensible aggressive like move on 2 specially on a ship like the Sharn or Tirpitz.

Sometimes its also like wanna get out of a situation late on in a game specially when team has melted like butter around me, if a match is lost im gunna go down swinging and taking all I can with me

Edited by Feclez

[ONAVY]
Members
766 posts
6,284 battles

I am secondary specd on my Monty for ranked and clan battles and it is worth it. I have the range on them pushed out to 9.1km. If a DD makes the mistake of pushing in on me and does not kill me they are toast and it is pretty funny watching them try and get out of range of them before I smoke em...many times I kill two dds in the same pass with them. I would love to have it fire from both sides but rarely need that so I keep it. It serves me well since I push not camp. The rapid fire from them causes psychological issues for the enemy I am sure lol.

Edited by C_D

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I've done some studies.  Manual Secondaries triples the hit rate on your secondaries.  So from a hits/damage perspective, it always pays to use manual secondaries, even at the cost of losing off-side shooting.

As far as driving DDs away with offside shooting, in my experience, DD players aren't too frightened by a lot of secondary shells falling around them, so long as they are not getting hit.  That's why you need Manual Secondaries to really make an effective deterrent anyway.

I run Manual Secondaries on just about every ship of Tier 7 or higher that has a good secondary battery with sufficient range.

• Cool 1

[FEC]
Members
61 posts
2,259 battles

Nice info guys, appreciate it all,

Wouldnt say im a noob but really wanna perfect the 5 or 6 ships that I rely on them secondary's with

Beta Testers
178 posts
3,655 battles
43 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

I believe it's more of Germany on top. France just has mentionable secondaries. Anything else a survival build would be better

German secondaries are the top only at tier 7 (upgraded Gneise) and 10.

All the tiers below do sport the 105mm caliber which damages nothing more than certain DD and have low chances of fire compared to other nations.

If they had the 1/4 pen value then they would arguably be the best but right now the Massachussets is the best secondary boat out there and the French are not doing direct damage but they start fires like no others.

Germans 105mm are in need or a buff in fact because they dont pen anything because of the 1/6 rule and their fire chance was gutted when the German line got a small buff on secondary range.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
3 minutes ago, Bacl said:

German secondaries are the top only at tier 7 (upgraded Gneise) and 10.

All the tiers below do sport the 105mm caliber which damages nothing more than certain DD and have low chances of fire compared to other nations.

If they had the 1/4 pen value then they would arguably be the best but right now the Massachussets is the best secondary boat out there and the French are not doing direct damage but they start fires like no others.

Germans 105mm are in need or a buff in fact because they dont pen anything because of the 1/6 rule and their fire chance was gutted when the German line got a small buff on secondary range.

Fires actually don't matter much from secondaries.  Every once in a while you get a long burn, but most of the time you hardly get anything.   I tracked secondary fire damage too, and on average each fire did less than 2k damage.

I do agree, a pen buff to those German 105s would put them back on top for secondaries.  You are correct right now that Massachusetts is the best secondary boat in the game, at any tier.  Well played, Mass secondaries will run 40% (50% if you include fires) of your damage total on average in a game.  It's just unreal.

Beta Testers
178 posts
3,655 battles
16 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Fires actually don't matter much from secondaries.  Every once in a while you get a long burn, but most of the time you hardly get anything.   I tracked secondary fire damage too, and on average each fire did less than 2k damage.

I do agree, a pen buff to those German 105s would put them back on top for secondaries.  You are correct right now that Massachusetts is the best secondary boat in the game, at any tier.  Well played, Mass secondaries will run 40% (50% if you include fires) of your damage total on average in a game.  It's just unreal.

Well Massachusset is what secondary boats should be because they take a huge investment in upgrades and commander skills to be viable so the investment need to be rewarding. Massa is the standard not the exception.

However the Massa also got the 406mm Main merican guns that are shooting the Germans ballistics straight out of the water. Yes on paper Germans do have better armor but staying bow on is more effective than any plating and even turtlebacks.

French are in a good place since they do not do direct damage but they start fires often and in my Gascogne i did some spectacular BBQ damage ( at close range mind you).

Massachusset got the accuracy, firing rate and descent caliber and low fire chances but lets assume the accuracy is its main trait.

Germans should have the penetration advantage and maybe a slight buff in accuracy (nothing huge but they need it) because right now they are literally all over the place.

Secondary guns were the selling point for the higher tier German BB line and they were gutted because at the time they were a bit ridiculous but now they have been nerfed way too hard and they are currently lagging behind other nations.

[SIMP]
Members
1,014 posts

I'm with the OP.

Realistically, it's just dumb that all the secondary guns on one side of the ship just stop firing, if all the guns on the other side start firing at a single target.

Manual Targeting is a top list 4 point skill, so it should allow you to 'focus' fire your secondaries on one side of your ship, while the other side fires normally (at the derpy 10% hit rate).

Sign in to follow this