Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Subs - Why We Might Get Them in Game, and Why We Likely Won't

132 comments in this topic

[S-N-D]
Members
2,709 posts
7,066 battles
10 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

u wut mate? you mean like cruisers that have better concealment, speed, agility, accuracy, heal at 9/10 some even at 8, carry the best consumable in the game (radar), higher dpm, need i go on? BB's camping in the back is the symptom not the problem, if you don't understand this then you have no idea about the current radar / he spam met.

I noticed you left out easily citadel'd from any angle by just about any BB they encounter. So no, you don't need to go on at all as I know a BB main desperately clawing to the past when it senses a grim future on the horizon when I read one. I mean you can go on if you wish to amuse me. Damage per minute means very little if the BB can easily last the entire 20 while the CA struggles to.

The die has been cast and subs are coming, part to break the stagnant BB trumps all meta along with the game is running out of ways to generate a profit so new additions have to be made to the game to keep it viable in the market.

Trying to convince the community and WG otherwise at this point is an exercise in futility. Take that from someone who told the community a year ago subs were coming. Or don't and waste your energy.

Edited by _Caliph_

[DS-DL]
Members
100 posts
10 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Reduced speed.  Even more reduced speed underwater.  Poor firing arcs.  Limited submerge time.  All sorts of things that will nerf a sub. 

Not sure I agree completely.

If the submerge mechanics include schnorkeling, then you have three states for a sub:

1) Surfaced, visual detection would be possible

2) Schnorkeling, visual detection would be exceedingly non-trivial, but possible. A periscope can be used by the sub at this depth, giving the sub limited visual spotting ability. 

3) Deep dive, limited time, no periscope, so presumably, the sub would need hydro to fight when dove, and maybe not historically, diving past schnorkel/periscope depth IMO would be either part of a genius plan, or the option of desperation. You can't run, and if you can't make the kill, you just invite more ships that can kill you to close enough to localize you and do so.

Surface ship/Aircraft torpedoes make for an interesting dynamic... diving rate and surfacing rate could be an important attribute of a sub...and another reason to go below schnorkel depth.

Speed is a problem, but more when schnorkeling/deep. You ain't gonna win the team Regatta, but you might not come in last either.

Poor firing arcs is subjective, I liked the German destroyers with FF torpedo tubes. And there were a few designs with rear-firing tubes... take that Darth Vader! And if you're surfaced and using that toothpick thrower, well it better be a target that can't shoot back, or you don't dare/can't dive...and in that case, don't let them get behind you...

But the principal way of killing subs, was depth charges, that's I think the choke chain is liable to be, tweaking/relaxing the depth charges...it'll make a nice change to discuss here after the succession of "WG screwed up the CV rework" threads...

Edited by i_r_sensitive

Alpha Tester
1,406 posts
553 battles
6 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

I notice you left out easily citadel'd from any angle by just about any BB they encounter. So no, you don't need to go on at all as I know a BB main desperately clawing to the past when it senses a grim future on the horizon when I read one. I mean you can go on if you wish to amuse me.

The die has been cast and subs are coming, part to break the stagnant BB trumps all meta, the game is running out of ways to generate a profit, and new additions have to be made to the game to keep it viable in the market.

Trying to convince the community and WG otherwise at this point is an exercise in futility. Take that from someone who told the community a year ago subs were coming. Or don't and waste your energy.

Subs wouldn't get Citadel lol.

They have less armor than even DD's do. if a DD doesn't have enough armor to activate a BB shell, a Sub certainly doesn't.

[S-N-D]
Members
2,709 posts
7,066 battles
1 minute ago, Xplato said:

Subs wouldn't get Citadel lol.

They have less armor than even DD's do. if a DD doesn't have enough armor to activate a BB shell, a Sub certainly doesn't.

We were talking about Cruisers and not Subs.

Edited by _Caliph_

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
13 hours ago, _Caliph_ said:

I noticed you left out easily citadel'd from any angle by just about any BB they encounter. So no, you don't need to go on at all as I know a BB main desperately clawing to the past when it senses a grim future on the horizon when I read one. I mean you can go on if you wish to amuse me. Damage per minute means very little if the BB can easily last the entire 20 while the CA struggles to.

The die has been cast and subs are coming, part to break the stagnant BB trumps all meta along with the game is running out of ways to generate a profit so new additions have to be made to the game to keep it viable in the market.

Not sure what to say here, you either don't know what you are talking about (but think you do), or maybe you're trolling / using hyperbole. The whole point of my reply was to point out what you were saying wasn't true and was exaggerated. Which you then followed up with more false information, further illustrating my point.

Better check again if you think I am a BB main. Also, I seriously doubt subs will have any impact on passive BB play, in fact, I think it will cause BB play to be more passive, but I suppose we shall see if the subs ever come into the core game.

[CMFRT]
Members
8,449 posts
7 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

Not sure what to say here, you either don't know what you are talking about (but think you do), or maybe you're trolling / using hyperbole. The whole point of my reply was to point out what you were saying wasn't true and was exaggerated. Which you then followed up with more false information, further illustrating my point.

Better check again if you think I am a BB main. Also, I seriously doubt subs will have any impact on passive BB play, in fact, I think it will cause BB play to be more passive, but I suppose we shall see if the subs ever come into the core game.

Hey, according to these threads, if you're even a submarine-skeptic, then you're a "BBaby"... it's ridiculous. 

And yeah, subs would just make stagnant play more common and worse... but some players are so eager to see BBs suffer that they're just salivating and picturing the moment of a sub attack on a BB, and not thinking about the way the actual battles, on the maps in the game, will play out. 

(And I say this as someone with twice as many cruiser games as BB games.)

[S-N-D]
Members
2,709 posts
7,066 battles
14 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Hey, according to these threads, if you're even a submarine-skeptic, then you're a "BBaby"... it's ridiculous. 

And yeah, subs would just make stagnant play more common and worse... but some players are so eager to see BBs suffer that they're just salivating and picturing the moment of a sub attack on a BB, and not thinking about the way the actual battles, on the maps in the game, will play out. 

(And I say this as someone with twice as many cruiser games as BB games.)

Nope. Having a sub threatening your BB in the background as the other ships are pushing forward will absolutely compel you to move forward. That or sink. 

Edited by _Caliph_

Sign in to follow this