You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Now that we have submarines...

18 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles

...it's time to talk about first generation missile ships. :Smile_teethhappy:

At least for the Americans, these were slow enough to reload, the launchers slow enough to turn, and the missiles sufficiently unreliable on a per-shot basis, that they are arguably LESS effective at killing aircraft than a murder-boat like the Worcester. (IRL they were MUCH more effective than guns at high speed and high altitude, but those factors are not operative here - and trials against slow drones were so bad that JFK mandated the retrofitting of a token 5" gun armament to some of the all-missile ships.)

Against ships, they would be like a heavy 12 inch HE shell with some huge fire chance, but again, the sea-clutter vulnerability of the early ones (and the increasing inaccuracy with range of the beam riders) would be a balancing factor.

[WORX]
Members
1,855 posts
12,893 battles

Whoa whoa whoa there bucking cowboy. Subs are not in the game yet, its like a trail run for the Halloween event. The "concrete" is still wet so don;t walk on it yet. There are a few in the community that is being so negative about subs. Will see after the Halloween event IF they will even make it to PVP mode.

[PVE]
Members
9,734 posts
7,466 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Whoa whoa whoa there bucking cowboy. Subs are not in the game yet, its like a trail run for the Halloween event. The "concrete" is still wet so don;t walk on it yet. There are a few in the community that is being so negative about subs. Will see after the Halloween event IF they will even make it to PVP mode.

True dat.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

LOL, I know. It's just that when you say "never" and then do it anyway, you open up a can of worms that sooner or later you're going to have to eat from. And I did put the laugh smilie in to show that I wasn't completely serious.

I'm excited for submarines, though ATM I have grave reservations about them being in PvP until we know how difficult they are to play. If there are more than one or two, I fear DD drivers are going to be grossly overloaded.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles
8 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Someone already posted a sub supposedly due out in  0.7.12. It may be still wet, but it llooks like they're starting the pour.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
2,157 battles

Oops.  Sorry, my imagination already blew past you and went to SSGNs, SSBNs,  DDGs, and CGs.

[TRC]
[TRC]
Members
64 posts
8,835 battles

Subs will be first seen during the Halloween Event 2018.

As mentioned by one YouTube contributor, subs 'could' be available in 2019.

No mention if in early, mid, or late 2019...so stay tuned. I'm sure we'll hear more in the coming months.

Edited by SedatedApe

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,134 battles
2 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Oops.  Sorry, my imagination already blew past you and went to SSGNs, SSBNs,  DDGs, and CGs.

Something tells me SSBNs aren't going to make it into the game. Can you imagine, both fleets just instantly vaporized...

Members
1,802 posts
800 battles
2 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Something tells me SSBNs aren't going to make it into the game. Can you imagine, both fleets just instantly vaporized...

Now that would be damage farming.

What is the penalty for killing all 11 of your teammates and yourself at once?

[OPG]
Members
3,972 posts
5,678 battles
45 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

32 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Blatant troll bait!

Not necessarily.  WG actually seriously considered putting Soviet missile destroyers in game, and from what I've heard even went as far as to model and test them on a private server.  The tests were evidently a failure, but there was a very really chance we would have gotten missiles in game before subs.

*I unfortunately don't have a source as I think this was mentioned in a Q and A somewhere, but I believe the ships in question were teased in "plans for 2017 video" and WG did mention they were considering adding an entirely new type of weapon would be added in game.  They also mentioned there were going to be two new subbranches of VMF DDs, and the fact we never got the second branch gives some credence to the theory they were supposed to be missile boats.

*edit

I found the source where it was mentioned missiles were tested 

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/6wbxox/tldw_of_a_brief_qa_with_ev1n/

Edited by yashma

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
8 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Now that would be damage farming.

What is the penalty for killing all 11 of your teammates and yourself at once?

With nuclear weapons? Permanent condemnation to Tier 1 co-op with a glowing, sickly yellow colour.

[ICE9]
Members
833 posts
42 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

At least for the Americans, these were slow enough to reload, the launchers slow enough to turn, and the missiles sufficiently unreliable on a per-shot basis, that they are arguably LESS effective at killing aircraft than a murder-boat like the Worcester.

Yarrgh, matey, here be a Talos cruiser tar! (It's talk like a pirate day...)

As far as Talos goes, the launchers were NOT slow to train and elevate. In fact, for AWEPS drills with TSAMS, the GMM's actually ran the launchers in slow mode to keep from flinging the "blue birds" (see photo below. Those blue telephone poles on the foc'sle are Talos TSAMs) off the rails. The only slow thing was rate of fire, because the fins and boosters for each shot had to be manually assembled in the missile house.

Tell me what could be less effective about a nuclear warhead. Sure we used conventionals on PIRAZ duty in the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, but battle doctrine in a high-threat scenario was go nuke early and often.

Yarrgh, splice the main brace, me hearties!

Edited by CG11_HoleSnipe
  • Cool 2

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
40 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Someone already posted a sub supposedly due out in  0.7.12. It may be still wet, but it llooks like they're starting the pour.

that was a joke

[JACK]
Members
43 posts
13,788 battles

we need subs like holes in place they shouldn't be . basically we don't need them . DDs have a hard enough time as it is now these clowns want them chasing subs lol . I can see it now the DD goes after sub and the enemy blast them to dust wile the rest of us are left with the darn sub sealclubing away . 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,562 battles

I guess after they 'civilize' aircraft carriers, the new badlands is going to be underwater.

[ML-S]
Members
289 posts
4,145 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

LOL, I know. It's just that when you say "never" and then do it anyway, you open up a can of worms that sooner or later you're going to have to eat from. And I did put the laugh smilie in to show that I wasn't completely serious.

Kind of like “Missouri is here to stay!” 

*removes Missouri*

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
59 minutes ago, CG11_HoleSnipe said:

As far as Talos goes, the launchers were NOT slow to train and elevate.

Point taken. I'll have to have another look at Friedman's US Naval Weapons when I get home, but the impression I got (particularly for BW-0 Terrier on the Boston and Canberra) was of launchers whose practical slew rate was more in line with slow in-game cruiser turrets than with an Atlanta or a Fletcher.  IIRC the experimental firing rate for the very first missiles on trial was one every 30 minutes - development must have been a (female canine) for all concerned. 

As for nukes, well yeah, those ARE going to be effective and even a 300lb warhead exploding near you is going to ruin your day pretty fast. But IOC for ALL guided missiles took at least ten years from project conception, and anything we'd be getting in game in missile terms is the most primitive of what each nation had to offer.

Someday we may see the story of the SA-N-1 and similar missiles. I have a book that goes into some detail on the development of what the West called the AA-1 Alkali, and that was nothing like the 1970's-80's coffee-table books I used to read described it. I'd love to see development details of the Soviet naval missiles if they are ever released.