Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Uncle_Lou

Harugumo armor?

4 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
265 posts
3,881 battles

Had an unexpected opportunity during a game tonight in my Donskoi where I lit up an enemy Harugumo right at about 10km from me.  It wasn't lit long, but I am fairly certain the DD was within ~10 degrees of being fully broadside to me.  I happened to have AP loaded and fired it rather than miss the window for the snap shot.  Out of 12 rounds fired, 6 missed; the other 6 were ricochets.  What??

Nearly fully broadside DD bounces 180mm AP moving at 950m/s?  I know my aim wasn't perfect, but how does this even happen?  What the hell is the Harugumo made of??

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,306 posts
6,587 battles

Judging by your description, which as I may add is not necessarily accurate, your shells would be fairly capable of bouncing from the deck of the Harugumo.

But to be 100% certain I‘d need more info, preferably screenshots or replays.

Beta Testers
272 posts
9,093 battles

Pretty sure Harugumo's made of typical DD armor - that is, 19mm pretty much everywhere.

As such, Donskoi's 180mm guns don't overmatch it, so if you hit a surface inclined at more than 60 degrees, you bounce off.  Note that the 60-degree angle doesn't have to be in the horizontal, that is left-to-right... it could easily be in the vertical, that is steep-versus-shallow, instead.

Since Donskoi's guns have fast and flat trajectories, and the listed range is mid-to-short range, I'd bet your half-a-dozen ricochets were off of horizontal surfaces like the main deck.  A bit unlucky that you didn't land hull or superstructure hits, but it can happen.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
265 posts
3,881 battles
8 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Judging by your description, which as I may add is not necessarily accurate, your shells would be fairly capable of bouncing from the deck of the Harugumo.

But to be 100% certain I‘d need more info, preferably screenshots or replays.

Oh I realize the description wasn't necessarily accurate - it was a heat of the moment thing and the window for the shot was only seconds.  Had my guns not already been pointed that way I would have missed the chance altogether.   I was just shocked that the shots bounced - so shocked I didn't even think about deck hits or even checking the replay.  I should have gone back to look at the replay, but it was getting late.  I may look at it later. 

That Harugumo wound up costing us the victory, too. 

Sign in to follow this