You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Alex

Would anyone here like to see submarines be given unlimited oxygen when submerged?

88 comments in this topic

[NMKJT]
Members
3,590 posts
2 hours ago, Mr_Alex said:

This ability gives submarines the chance to attack BB, CL, CA, CV and DD at close range without being detected by the enemy, that’s why i am advocating submarines be given unlimited oxygen when submerged which makes detecting them more difficult

People hate being attacked by something they can't see and shoot back at, that is why OWSF was so unpopular, and why artillery is still unpopular in tanks. It will never be acceptable to the community as a whole. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
207 posts
11,985 battles

Subs can have unlimited oxygen as long as BBs get atomic shells, and DDs and cruisers cans drop lines of sonobuoys.

No, there needs to be balance, not turkey shoots

Members
307 posts
1,714 battles

You guys are funny

Submarines have enough oxygen to remain submerged for more than 24 hours. How long is a WOWS battle supposed to be?

The limiting factor for a submarine underwater is most often the battery lol

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,479 battles
4 hours ago, Mr_Alex said:

Would you support submarines have unlimited oxygen when submerged and also the ability to do 15 to 20 knts when submerged as well?

WoWS to this point has been fairly accurate on ship's speed. As an example the Gato class sub's top surface speed was 21knots and they had a top speed of 9 knots submerged. So ok on the oxygen but no to the speed. It will be a lot of fun charging in on that BB at a thundering 9 knots. 

[WYRN]
Beta Testers
119 posts
10,483 battles

I think they should have unlimited oxygen and be able to submerege as often as they like BUT only surface once.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,150 posts
6,627 battles

Unlimited oxygen in this game? Hell, no. Put up a snorkel at periscope depth and double your spotting distance; that's fair. But then your O2 timer takes twice as long to replenish as if you merely surfaced, or something like that. A Tier X ability, and you have to sacrifice an upgrade or consumable slot for it.

Personally I'm beginning to think this Halloween event is including submarines simply to get the people clamouring for them to SHUT THE HECK UP, and they will never make it into PvP. At if they do, not more than 1 or 2 per side, and carefully tier-matched.

27 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Submarines have enough oxygen to remain submerged for more than 24 hours. How long is a WOWS battle supposed to be?

The limiting factor for a submarine underwater is most often the battery lol

One of the two will have to be the limiting factor in this game. I recall reading it was the oxygen, to keep things simple and understandable on the layperson's level, but the battery is probably the better choice. 

[YARRR]
Members
625 posts
4,907 battles

I think they should have unlimited ballast so that when they dive they cannot recover, hit crush depth and are never seen again... ever.

• Funny 2

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,695 battles

Well, reading the transcript of the interview, the reason for including subs in the game is that they're running out of new content. The major lines left:

1. British DD's

2. French DD's

3. Italian line.

Then you have the RU BB line and the CV rework. WoWs will be out of new major WW2 content by 2020.

The only thing left is to push into the modern era at that point.

[NWNG]
Members
2,767 posts
4,643 battles

I take it you mean for them to stay submerged the entire game. yes, this is an arcade game, so balance trumps reality. But you can only do so much before something becomes overpowered. As such I give you two options for balance:

1. They have unlimited oxygen; but any damage the submarine takes, removes its ability to dive altogether.
2. They can dive regardless of damage; but they can only stay submerged for a limited time.

These two balance options, that I have presented, gives battleships and carriers and select cruisers and destroyers, the ability to strike submarines (seriously, not all cruisers and destroyers carried anti-sub weaponry). If these ships do not have the option to shoot them, then the game becomes imbalanced more than it already is.

Personally, I would go with balance option 2.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,065 posts
14,805 battles
8 hours ago, Mr_Alex said:

I believe in Silent hunter, submarines were given an option to use unlimited oxygen when submerged, would anyone here like to see this option given to submarines in world of Warships which mean they can stay hidden when submerged until they feel it is safe to go on the surface

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one :)

• Cool 1

Members
1,188 posts

alternatively forget about oxygen in the context of breathing, and think compressed air for changing the neutral bouncy depth and blowing the ballast tanks.

if you don't have your neutral bouncy depth set thus relay on the dive-planes you lose speed (much like a ship turning but rotated through 90deg to affect pitch).

your compressed air will last the longest and you will travel the furthest/fastest when submerged if you trim your neutral bouncy depth and keep to that depth minimising your depth changes.

if you run low on compressed air from blowing the tanks often etc and not spending enough time on the surface replenishing that compressed air, then you need to use your dive-planes to counteract sinking, but if your batteries are low you may not have sufficient speed in conjunction with dive-plane angle to surface, at which point you will inevitably sink.

Edited by b101uk

[-BRS-]
Members
2,492 posts
15,720 battles

I don't think that subs should have tactical data that is shared between the fleet for targeting  They should be the lone wolf, and the only data they get is for themselves and not shared

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,785 posts
5 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I don't think that subs should have tactical data that is shared between the fleet for targeting  They should be the lone wolf, and the only data they get is for themselves and not shared

At the very least, they should never share data either way while submerged.

(Not that they should be in the game at all.)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,852 posts
7,253 battles

Heck no.

Thats how you get subs who spend 25 minutes skirting the map edges at 12 kts going CV & BB "hunting". Meanwhile you are down one ship & are losing caps while the sub goes "hunting".

Edited by GoldPile

[-BRS-]
Members
2,492 posts
15,720 battles
10 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

At the very least, they should never share data either way while submerged.

(Not that they should be in the game at all.)

I just worry that destroyers will become obsolete if they do get the targeting info because their detection range looks like it will be less than destroyer and it's already hard to survive now with the shared info as it is

[RLGN]
Members
715 posts
5,718 battles
30 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I just worry that destroyers will become obsolete if they do get the targeting info because their detection range looks like it will be less than destroyer and it's already hard to survive now with the shared info as it is

They won't be good spotters, I'm pretty sure they already said subs will have reduced spotting ability and reliant on the team to spot for them.  Wouldn't be surprised if below periscope depth they have zero independent vision.