You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Alex

Would anyone here like to see submarines be given unlimited oxygen when submerged?

88 comments in this topic

[1776_]
Alpha Tester
2,625 posts
4,956 battles

I believe in Silent hunter, submarines were given an option to use unlimited oxygen when submerged, would anyone here like to see this option given to submarines in world of Warships which mean they can stay hidden when submerged until they feel it is safe to go on the surface

• Bad 15

[WOLF9]
Members
1,107 posts

No, but since they will be underwater, I'd like to see a big roiling ring of white water and then an expanding oil slick where they die. Some corpses bobbing to the surface would be good too.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
9,759 posts
7,472 battles

I think they should have unlimited Oxygen, but have a battery that runs down when underwater. You could tie how fast the battery runs down to how fast the sub is going underwater. So a long slow underwater drive or a much shorter, faster underwater drive at full power. Have the sub slowly recharge when on the surface, so no fixed cooldown, and have the higher tiers recharge when at periscope depth and on the surface because of the snorkel.

• Cool 4

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,311 battles
13 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Silent Hunter was a single player game.

This is pretty important.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
2,121 posts
3,620 battles
15 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Silent Hunter was a single player game.

it had multiplayer, and no it wasnt unlimited O2 unless you played on easy.

personally i did everything except the firing solution because im awful at trig. and also, im the captain...i have staff to do this for me.

• Cool 2

[1776_]
Alpha Tester
2,625 posts
4,956 battles
17 minutes ago, Rumbaugh said:

Why? Submarines in WW2 didn't have unlimited oxygen supplies.

This ability gives submarines the chance to attack BB, CL, CA, CV and DD at close range without being detected by the enemy, that’s why i am advocating submarines be given unlimited oxygen when submerged which makes detecting them more difficult

[FGNE]
Members
350 posts
2,487 battles
3 minutes ago, Mr_Alex said:

This ability gives submarines the chance to attack BB, CL, CA, CV and DD at close range without being detected by the enemy, that’s why i am advocating submarines be given unlimited oxygen when submerged which makes detecting them more difficult

Oxigen is a balancing variable designed specifically to prevent that from happening ... during the whole match.

You have to give the other ship classes a fighting chance against subs, to detect them and to shoot them... don’t say hydro for that is not always available (and you want to always be submerged)... and don’t say teamwork (we know that team work is a counter to current CVs and we know where that leads.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles

It'll be so much fun when the last enemy ship just submerges in the middle of combat and goes afk.

• Funny 1

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,311 battles
29 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

It'll be so much fun when the last enemy ship just submerges in the middle of combat and goes afk.

but muh silent hunter

/s

Edited by NATOMarksman

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,650 posts
9,052 battles

Sure but maximum speed needs to be limited to 2 oh make it 4 knots. My reasoning is there has to be a big trade off to get such a powerful ability.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,650 posts
9,052 battles
1 minute ago, NATOMarksman said:

but muh silent hunter

/s

Silent Hunter is single player so it really doesn't matter how and where a player goes against history.

[1776_]
Alpha Tester
2,625 posts
4,956 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Sure but maximum speed needs to be limited to 2 oh make it 4 knots. My reasoning is there has to be a big trade off to get such a powerful ability.

Would you support submarines have unlimited oxygen when submerged and also the ability to do 15 to 20 knts when submerged as well?

[FGNE]
Members
350 posts
2,487 battles
3 minutes ago, Mr_Alex said:

Would you support submarines have unlimited oxygen when submerged and also the ability to do 15 to 20 knts when submerged as well?

What trade off do you propose then?... seems like you want the sub to be almighty.

[1776_]
Alpha Tester
2,625 posts
4,956 battles
Just now, CO_Valle said:

What trade off do you propose then?... seems like you want the sub to be almighty.

no trade offs, just those two abilities will suit me

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,650 posts
9,052 battles
2 minutes ago, Mr_Alex said:

No way in hell! Actually battery life was the real issue. I would like to see dive time impacted by speed. Sail at 2 to 4 knots and stay down until the cows come home, however I would make the counter increase many times faster for the red team if the sub is the last ship on their team if they are submerged . Sail along at max speed and you will need to surface and recharge after only a very short time.

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,311 battles
4 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

His response to this question should tell you all you need to know about how immaterial this thread should be to balancing.

[FGNE]
Members
350 posts
2,487 battles
7 minutes ago, Mr_Alex said:

no trade offs, just those two abilities will suit me

Then I vote for:

”No way in hell”

3 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

His response to this question should tell you all you need to know about how immaterial this thread should be to balancing.

Indeed

Edited by CO_Valle

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
1 hour ago, Mr_Alex said:

Is this game actually considering subs now?  Unlimited oxygen would be so op there isnt enough op in the world to contain it.

Subs would literally sit underwater, drive right up to the ship were it has 0 chance to evade and nuke it from the end of the torpedo tubes.  Not to mention be impossible to hit given rng spread in this game.

Good god this game needs no subs....

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,041 posts
2 hours ago, Mr_Alex said:

... would anyone here like to see this option given to submarines in world of Warships which mean they can stay hidden when submerged...

Only when coupled with the inability to achieve periscope depth or surface.

• Funny 1

Members
968 posts
7,189 battles

Subs were only announced a few hours ago and people are already asking for buffs. :cap_popcorn:

• Cool 2

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

I disagree, OP. I liked the way they talked about it on Twitch yesterday, that a sub goes up when she runs out of air. You need to plan your attack, instead of just moving into the middle of an enemy fleet that doesn't have hydro ships to torp all of them. Also sounds boring. Having to go up again makes it more exciting.

2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Ugh yea, had a Charles Martel yesterday running away for the last 5 minutes while he would have lost anyway :3