You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Musouka

Midget subs and float plane bombers

11 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
48 posts
4,217 battles

So on the submarine Q&A there was this question and answer

Q: Are we going to get the Arpeggio I-401?

A: Since subs aren’t coming to PvP as of now, no, but they are open to it. Also keep in mind ARP is a 3rd Party so it would have to be negotiated.

This led to the shower thoughts of Arpeggio I-401 -> regular I-401 -> float plane bombers -> Ko-hyoteki(midget subs)

So stepping on the hornet's nest here, outta curiosity and not as a serious suggestion(likely not worth the mess), how would you have them played if they were shoehorned onto the subs that had them?

Edited by Musouka

Members
4,568 posts
6,509 battles
8 minutes ago, Musouka said:

A: Since subs aren’t coming to PvP as of now, no, but they are open to it. Also keep in mind ARP is a 3rd Party so it would have to be negotiated.

This led to the shower thoughts of Arpeggio I-401 -> regular I-401 -> float plane bombers -> Ko-hyoteki

So stepping on the hornet's nest here, outta curiosity and not as a serious suggestion(likely not worth the mess), how would you have them played if they were shoehorned onto the subs that had them?

Huh?

[LWA]
Members
48 posts
4,217 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Huh?

If Subs that carried them historically could deploy midget subs or float plane bombers, how would you want them to work?

[PVE]
Members
9,806 posts
7,492 battles
11 minutes ago, Musouka said:

This led to the shower thoughts of Arpeggio I-401 -> regular I-401 -> float plane bombers -> Ko-hyoteki

Well, since the I-401 only carried 3 planes, it would be a pretty poor, half squadron of torp planes or Dive Bombers.

Under current CV rules, you would get one 3 plane squadron with 3-6 backup planes for balance. Torp'ing someone would probably be pretty hard as you would need to be surfaced for the planes to be launched, landed & serviced and be easily seen on the surface. The very large, slow sub would probably be hard pressed to catch someone under water.

Under the CV rework, you would get a 3-6 plane squadron with inifinite reloads.  No torp'ing most likely.

Members
4,568 posts
6,509 battles
4 minutes ago, Musouka said:

If Subs that carried them historically could deploy midget subs or float plane bombers, how would you want them to work?

O my.  Midget subs now?  Zero effect in WWII....except for MAYBE a few successes. It's murky. 1 might have gotten into Pearl. Debated.  I mean inside the harbor.  Inside.

I would not like them to work. As they mostly did not insofar as I know. :Smile_amazed:

[PVE]
Members
9,806 posts
7,492 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

O my.  Midget subs now?  Zero effect in WWII....except for MAYBE a few successes. It's murky. 1 might have gotten into Pearl. Debated.  I mean inside the harbor.  Inside.

I would not like them to work. As they mostly did not insofar as I know. :Smile_amazed:

The UK midget subs wounded Tirpitz severely in Norway, but were mostly lost. The UK midget subs had limpet mines, so a boat would have to be stationary and in harbor for it to work.

Members
4,568 posts
6,509 battles
51 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The UK midget subs wounded Tirpitz severely in Norway, but were mostly lost. The UK midget subs had limpet mines, so a boat would have to be stationary and in harbor for it to work.

Mostly lost.  Key phrase.  Hey,,,interesting but I do not think they ever "turned the tide of battle". Sideshow. 

[PVE]
Members
9,806 posts
7,492 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Mostly lost.  Key phrase.  Hey,,,interesting but I do not think they ever "turned the tide of battle". Sideshow. 

Yep, that was what the second sentence about having mines and Tirpitz being stationary was for.

Edited by Kizarvexis

Members
4,568 posts
6,509 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

Yep, that was what the second sentence about having mines and Tirpitz being stationary.

Interesting topic kinda. 

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts
1 hour ago, Musouka said:

This led to the shower thoughts of Arpeggio I-401 -> regular I-401 -> float plane bombers -> Ko-hyoteki(midget subs)

Since they were almost invariably suicide missions, intentional or not, midget subs would only be used when you have spare captains to dismiss from your reserve. It would liven that otherwise dreary 5 minute timer up a little.

[-CIV-]
Members
233 posts
2,373 battles

I hope this isn't necro-ing.

Since the CV rework was announced, and subs were demoed in the Halloween event, I think a hybrid of the two UI schemes would be possible. Assuming the devs decide to re-introduce direct control of the ship to CV players, submarine aircraft carrier players might also be able to switch between controlling their sub (the view they'd use for the majority of the battle), and their seaplane squadron.

Shoe-horned indeed, but I guess this is what happens when both of these changes are now on the table. /shrug As far as I know, most nations killed their SubCV projects during the interwar period - only Germany and Japan really had any of them in use during WWII, and I think only the IJN had enough variety to make a line of out them. Though, as a late-war sub and the largest sub of its time, I-401 could work as the T10 of the IJN SubCV line.