Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Need help with the Des Moines and Worcester

4 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,897 battles

Having trouble getting hits on the  Des Moines and Worcester in my T8-10 USN dds, especially when they are paired up with another radar cruiser.  The 9.9 km radar range is beyond the 9.2 km Benson torps and just a little below the 10.5 km range of the Fletcher/Gearing torps.  I throw out torps at max range, but they don't hit very often unless the cruiser driver gets cocky.  I've tried baiting them into firing off their radar by firing my guns at about 9.5 km and kiting away, but that only works if they are by themselves.

Other than spotting them and calling down fire, I don't seem to be able to hurt them much.  Any ideas/tricks/suggestions?

[WOLF9]
Members
42 posts
3,607 battles

As a CA/L main who is only a couple of weeks into playing the Des Moines, I can relate the times I’ve gotten into trouble with DD’s.  Best bet is to bait the radar then call focus fire on them.  It can be very tempting as a DM to radar a DD and move around that island to fire, only to find oneself over exposed.  Once the radar is finished move in to spot the cruiser to focus fire and force it out into the open.  

The other option is to rush it after radar has expired, using the island they are hiding behind as cover, and drop your torpedoes in close.  Had this happen once and it wasn’t pleasant.  Works best if the ship has limited backup.  Don’t forget these ships can also have hydro, so sneaking up can be challenging.

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,642 battles

Had this work well against a Cleveland the other night.  Saw that he was using the island as a shield and coming out to shoot when I as trying to cap.  Third time into cap I launched torps at the edge of the island and caught him as he was coming out again.

Hitting any CA/CL with torps is tricky since they are so maneuverable and often have hydro.  Typically your best bets are torping into gaps and straits where you predict the enemy will go.  Torping in open water is much more difficult.  Don't rely on the aim assist, and spread your torps out a bit to increase your chances of hitting (usually).

Members
1,734 posts
9,888 battles

Take a look at my youtube.  Its something that I have been countering pretty effectively with F3 Shimakaze.  My wth Radar play list as well as my Ranked Season 10 play lists are the best places to look.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-CVV_QxU4CesZL5pvdJw4A

Sign in to follow this