You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Any T9 tech-tree ships worth keeping?

64 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
1,104 posts
11 minutes ago, USSRichardNixon said:

Neptune? Ibuki? Buffalo? none?

The only exception is Fletcher?

Amen, Fletcher is a keeper.

• Cool 1

Members
1,458 posts
12,310 battles

Have played all the tier 9s and did not keep many since the 10s have usually been better, and for the most part play the same matches, and do you have another high rank captain to dedicate to it.  Have only two tier 9s that I bought back: Fletcher and Chung Mu.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,563 posts
3,751 battles

Aside from Fletcher also Alsace, Kitakaze,  Z-46, Chung Mu.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 3

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,001 posts
9,020 battles

Lion, Alsace, and Iowa are definite keepers. I like Ibuki, Neptune, and Yugumo; however, I’m considering selling them. 

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,703 battles

Alsace, Kitakaze,  Yugumo, Chung Mu, and of course Fletcher.

I also kept Kitakaze, Roon and Neptune.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles

Iowa for sure, Fletcher is well loved. Alsac as well. I like the Buffalo too, thinking about keeping her.

But don't go off other people's opinion. If you like the ship, keep it. It may or may not be what most other people think. But it doesn't matter, because you're the one playing the ship.

• Cool 2

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Of the BBs, I'd say for sure you want an Alsace, and depending on port size you want iowa and lion. Izumo and fdg are only keepers if your a hoarder

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,401 battles

A lot of them are worth keeping and T9 ships in general are really solid, but I think they just get overshadowed by their T10 counterparts.  The ones I've kept are Udaloi, Chung Mu, Fletcher, Yugumo, Z46, Kitakaze, Roon, and debating on rebuying the Alsace and the Izumo since its buffs (I don't have captains for either at the moment which is what's holding me back).  I'd have kept the Buffalo but decided to drop it in favor of the upcoming Alaska (and retool the 19 pt captain I had in it for the Alaska), and I'd probably still have the Iowa if I didn't own the Missouri.

The one I wouldn't keep under any circumstances barring a buff is the FDG.

e: the only thing that's stopped me from buying permacamos for some of them is WG's tendency to release a T9 premium that fills the role or performs better in general than the tree counterpart while also nerfing the tree counterpart to justify it

Edited by Deviathan

[WOLF2]
Members
1,329 posts
13,061 battles
42 minutes ago, USSRichardNixon said:

Neptune? Ibuki? Buffalo? none?

The only exception is Fletcher?

Considering the grind and what you paid to buy/upgrade/fit them, I wouldn't sell any high tier ship 

Some T9 are more fun and maybe even better than their T10 counterpart … I do know that I can make more xp, etc in a T9 than a T10 - very important if you don't have premium

Who knows when you'll need a T9 and getting uptiered is good right?

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
1 hour ago, Deviathan said:

A lot of them are worth keeping and T9 ships in general are really solid, but I think they just get overshadowed by their T10 counterparts.  The ones I've kept are Udaloi, Chung Mu, Fletcher, Yugumo, Z46, Kitakaze, Roon, and debating on rebuying the Alsace and the Izumo since its buffs (I don't have captains for either at the moment which is what's holding me back).  I'd have kept the Buffalo but decided to drop it in favor of the upcoming Alaska (and retool the 19 pt captain I had in it for the Alaska), and I'd probably still have the Iowa if I didn't own the Missouri.

The one I wouldn't keep under any circumstances barring a buff is the FDG.

e: the only thing that's stopped me from buying permacamos for some of them is WG's tendency to release a T9 premium that fills the role or performs better in general than the tree counterpart while also nerfing the tree counterpart to justify it

100000% This.  Owning the Missouri makes the Iowa superfluous.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,384 posts
5,080 battles

There are a few. My personal takes (on what I have):
 Yugumo - I like it more than Shimakaze. It is a more balanced ship. Smaller, faster torpedo reload, etc.
Ibuki - Real design, so I kept it since I have zero interest in fictional Zao. For anyone focused purely on gameplay it is pretty bad though, and Zao plays exactly the same just way better.
Alsace - 12 guns, tons of secondaries, real design.
Chung Mu - A much better torpedo boat than Yueyang thanks to better alpha and a way faster reload.
Kitakaze - An Akizuki with better DPM, torpedoes, AA (such as it is...), speed, and concealment. The most flexible of the three IJN gunboats. Also a real design.

Edited by AdmiralPiett

[CIAO]
Members
34 posts
3,292 battles

Howdy,

Whether they're worth keeping or not depends on what you're looking for. I've personally kept every tech tree ship that I bought and I enjoy having the variety to choose from when I'm taking a break from grinding. A T9 ship costs about 25 million credit to buy and upgrade. If you change your mind later it's going to suck farming all this credit back, so I second Commander_367 that I wouldn't sell them. If credit is not a problem for you, though, and you have no reason to play them then selling them might make sense to save real money on port slots. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,080 posts
14,468 battles

A major problem with Tier IX ships is unless they got something special to them, they don't merit keeping once you got the Tier IX.  These are the exceptions.

Tech Tree Tier IX's "Keepers"

Fletcher - The obvious choice and I know OP, you already mentioned it.  Fletcher is so nice and well regarded, that people consider Tier X Gearing to be a sidegrade.  Some even call her a downgrade to Fletcher.  Fletcher is so nice, that even a player without much time in DDs like me can succeed in her.  Excellent blend of speed, maneuverability, quick to respond and fire guns, powerful fast loading torps, and respectable concealment.  Oh, and USN DD smoke.

Alsace - Despite the recent nerfs, still an amazing ship and a keeper.  380mm guns for Tier IX is long in the tooth, but French 380mm have high penetration values.  You also have 12 guns to make up for BB Dispersion and RNG.  Try playing FDG with 8 guns.  Not only that, Alsace has Engine Boost and some of the most powerful, overwhelming secondaries in the game.  Tier for tier, this ranks with the best secondary setups in the game.  She's fast and fairly tough.  To me, she is the most well-rounded Tier IX BB that can be built to different specs and be viable.

Main Battery Build?  Plenty of guys do that.

Secondary Spec?  Plenty of guys do that.

AA Spec?  Believe it or not, it's quite strong if that's what you want.

No other BB in Tier IX gives you options like that.

Another big draw to Alsace is she is a "traditional" BB in terms of setup.  Traditional turret arrangement.  Republique in Tier X is cool, but some find her awkward with her 430mm quad gun x2 turret setup, despite having fast reloads.  Alsace will be familiar to any BB player.

Iowa - In the past, long ago, I would not have put Iowa on a "Tier IX Keeper" list due to having the old, old Skyscraper Citadels.  With the Skyscraper Citadel gone, getting the 33kt speed buff (originally 30kts in WoWS Launch), and the addition of APRM2 make Iowa stand apart from Tier X Montana.  Iowa has only 9 of the same guns vs the 12 of Monty.  Monty also is more heavily protected, I feel like a brute with her than I do Iowa / Missouri.  But Iowa has good concealment, about 12.2km, and blazing fast 33kts.  Lobbing some occasional shells to force pursuing Cruisers to evade, this is one of the few BBs in the game that can kite successfully from fast pursuit and then disappear.  Her speed lets her get around quickly, bringing those powerful 16"/50 guns where the team needs them sooner.  Yamato has powerful, accurate, Overmatch / LOLPEN guns, but she also only goes 27kts.  Iowa is super fast for a BB, even with zero Engine Boost access.  In addition, as a member of the Tier IX-X USN BB family, she can easily incorporate a killer AA build that will never interfere with buffing main battery dispersion.  USN BBs in Tier IX-X are the only ones in the entire game that can take AAGM2 in Slot 3 for better AA, while taking APRM2 in Slot 6 to buff gun dispersion.  Nobody else outside IX-X USN BBs can do this.  Again, Montana can do this also, but Iowa has the better concealment and super fast speed.  This makes Iowa play very differently from X Montana, and this merits keeping her.

And that's it.  Most of the rest of the Tier IX's have nothing of value to make you want to keep them when you have the Tier X.  Some of those IX's are actually pretty good like Lion, but why keep playing Lion when you got Conqueror?  Why keep playing Z-46 when you got Z-52?  Why keep playing FDG if you got GK? :Smile_teethhappy:  Roon is actually real good, but nobody uses her when they get Hindenburg.  Why keep playing Izumo when you got Yamato?  Why keep playing Yugumo when you got Shimakaze?  Why keep playing Essex when you got Midway?  Why keep Neptune with her horrible concealment when you got proper British Tea Time Concealment with Minotaur?  Why keep playing Ibuki when you got Zao?  Why keep playing Buffalo when you got Des Memes?  Etc, etc.  The problem is Tier X is for most parts, a straight upgrade, as expected, when you go Tier IX -> Tier X.  Unless those IX's are truly good and set themselves apart in a different style from the Tier X, the IX's will get sold off or just sit in port, unused.

Chung Mu, Kitakaze look very interesting but I don't have much experience with them.  I've watched Chung Mu in action many times and I've always been impressed by the show they put on.  It helps she's a tweaked Fletcher-class.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[H_]
Members
231 posts
7,227 battles

Kind of like all the ones I have with the possible exception of the Buffalo, compared to the others Ibuki, St.Louis, Roon, Donski, it does not keep up at least for ME.. others views may differ. Not going up the RN line anymore..

Probably won't keep the Tashkent unless I can get up to a 19 pt commander.. fun to play though. Have not figure out the Alsace yet.. but that's all the farther I'm going there for now.  Also may not keep the ST.Louis  if the Henri proves a improvement..

Chung, fletcher, 46 all good boats.. probably keep the Fletch and Chung..

Time will tell, I have some time till I'm facing replacing them with the grind between 9 and 10.. so who knows what will happen with the game by then.

Keep what you like, sell if it's marginal and you need the $$..

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Fletcher and Chung Mu. They offer different gameplay to their T10s also. 

Beta Testers
1,836 posts
10,762 battles

Don't have Udaloi but all other T9 DDs are very good.

Edited by chewonit

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,080 posts
14,468 battles
36 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Don't have Udaloi but all other T9 DDs are very good.

The problem is, will you keep playing them after you got the Tier X? :Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Members
186 posts
7,347 battles

Out of the ones I've played, only Kitakaze and Fletcher were really enjoyable and ships I'd consider rebuying.

Neptune, was okay, concealment was kind of meh for a Brit CL but not a bad ship

Seattle, garbage, horrid gun angles, sold it after three matches FXP'ed to wooster

Ibuki, garbage, a worse Mogami and without the excellent 155mm guns

FdG, garbage, a bigger Bismarck at a worse tier and with all Bismarck's flaws magnified 

Izumo, hot garbage, one of the worst ships I've ever played, slow, derpy, and is basically dry grass coated with gasoline 

Yuugumo, meh, I did not like Kagerou and it was basically a slightly better Kagerou

Donskoi, decent, guns were good though the reload was meh

T9 is just a bad tier in general for the tech tree ships

[UEFN]
Members
387 posts
11,696 battles

Alsace is the one and only Tier 9 ships i kept and still play.  

[CVA16]
Members
2,281 posts
9,859 battles
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The problem is, will you keep playing them after you got the Tier X?

True. If you really like the ship and intend to play it again at least occasionally, keep it. Otherwise free up a port slot and captain. There are no missions, ranked or clans that require a T9 ship. Generally you will be facing the same ships as you will as a tier 10 and the T10 is (stat wise) better (although your results may vary as a lot of people like the Fletcher more than the Gearing). I have an SL and a Henri. In the last few months I think I have only played the SL a couple of times and one of those was actually clicking on the wrong ship. I just haven't decided yet to pull the trigger and sell the SL. It is a fine ship, but I definitely feel inferior when I end up in a T10 match.

Strange how perception changes things. I am absolutely positive I see way more T9s when playing a T7 than I see T7s when playing aT9.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
29 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The problem is, will you keep playing them after you got the Tier X? :Smile_popcorn:

Fletcher, Udaloi, Chung Mu -- maybe, because gameplay is quite different from tier 10.