You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_T

win rate

9 comments in this topic

[ONAVY]
Beta Testers
465 posts
6,731 battles

with todays teams my win rate will never be 50% today and yesterday really bad. it dont matter how well of a game i get its still a loss. i started playing yesterday at 8:30 am and played all but 2 hours   [nap  iam older ] with 4 wins all day i had a lot of 60 k games in t8 and 2 100k games in a t9  so i will never find a laid back clan that does clan wars maybe i should have been more of a stat ho when i started in closed beta .last 2 years off and on.o my win rate is 44% its not moved in a long long time and i dont look for it to

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
179 posts
7,590 battles

Max... I'm not sure this is the correct thread for this type of posting. But... C'est la vie, I guess.

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

As a solo, win rate is the “luck of the draw”.   40% of the time your team will win no matter what you do, 40% of the time your team will lose no matter what you do.  20% of the time your actions can have an impact.  And like anything that includes chance, both good and bad streaks happen - had a couple of days last week with 25% win rate, no matter what I did, lost.  This week 70% win rate.  Don’t get caught too much in win rate, focus on your game performance.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,247 posts
3,106 battles

I remember you! We played a match together yesterday— you were in the Tirpitz, and called the team shite. It was a fun match, for sure, and a good win. 

[ONAVY]
Members
789 posts
6,333 battles

Max give us a look at ONAVY...I'll send ya an invite we don't hold winrate into account only your willingness to play fairly regular and no sniveling lol jk. Pretty much we keep growing and are very relaxed yet competitive. Send me a pm ingame and ill send ya an invite if you want.

Edited by C_D
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,493 posts
9,009 battles
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Panzer1113 said:

As a solo, win rate is the “luck of the draw”.   40% of the time your team will win no matter what you do, 40% of the time your team will lose no matter what you do.  20% of the time your actions can have an impact.  And like anything that includes chance, both good and bad streaks happen - had a couple of days last week with 25% win rate, no matter what I did, lost.  This week 70% win rate.  Don’t get caught too much in win rate, focus on your game performance.

It is true that some games will be won or lost no matter what you do; however, it is a fallacy to say that win rate is "luck of the draw," and your own reasoning is why.  Your percentages are likely off.  It is more like you will lose about a third of your games no matter how many of your teammate you carry on your shoulders, and you will win about a third of your games with your team dragging you kicking and screaming across the finish line (rather than 40% of each), but that means two things.

First regardless of the percentages, those games cancel each other out, meaning everyone has an unearned baseline* win rate of 50%.  If those were the only games you got, then you could rightly claim that "win rate is luck of the draw."  However the second point negates that.  That is, by your own admission, there is a percentage of games you will be able influence.  That, by definition, means that win rate is decidedly not the luck of the draw.

* Note:  The actual baseline is actually slightly below 50% because of the possibility of draws, but it is easier to understand the concept without taking draws into consideration.  Thus, the discussion below ignores the effects of draws, and the average is probably more like 48% - 49%, but the principle remains the same.

Wherever you fall at, above, or below that baseline is an indication of whether or not you have a net neutral, net positive, or net negative effect on your team's chances to win:

• If you remain basically around 50%, it means that you lose as many of those games you can influence as you win, so you have a net neutral effect on your teams' chances to win.  In other words, you are an average player.
  • If your win rate is below the 50%, it means that you lose more of those games you can influence than you win, so you have a net negative effect on your teams' chances to win.  In other words, you are a below average player.
  • Finally, if your win rate is above 50%, it means that you win more of those games you can influence than you lose, so you have a net positive effect on your teams' chances to win.  You are an above average player.

Because Match Maker puts together teams randomly, and sometimes there is an uneven mix of talent on the respective teams, you can rightly say that winning or losing a specific game may sometimes be the luck of the draw.  However, over time, those games you can't win or can't lose will cancel each other out, plus you will get a percentage of games where you do have influence.  As such, your win rate, which is a measure of wins vs. losses over time, is not the luck of the draw but a measure of what kind of influence you exert in those games you can influence.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SPF]
Members
147 posts
11,944 battles

Max, Try this. Take a look at your survival rate per match.  I bet its way under 50% also.  Try to just focus on raising that survival  rate and you will see your win rate and other stats rise.  You cant win and do damage when your sunk, but the longer you play in a match the more chance you have of influencing a win out of it.

[WOLF7]
Beta Testers
109 posts
1,366 battles

Max,

I have a similar problem. I take my battles seriously, want to be successful, and have stats as good as anyone's. Clans for "serious" players typically require that you already HAVE exceptional stats, which leads to a chicken-and-egg situation (the best way to learn is from experts, and experts all want to play with other experts, and never with the likes of me or you).

Like you, even when I'm trying hard, for every night where I'm on the winning side 60%+ of the time, there is another night where I lose more than I win. Moving from T7 to T8 definitely hurt. I playing sail in the T8 Bismarck: it's usually outgunned, out-tiered, and facing better captains because I often get put into matches with T9 and T10 players. The end of clan battles means that top end players are now back in random battles more, so I'm against enemies with thousands more battles of experience. My stats haven't plunged, but they've hit a plateau until replace those weak 15" guns with T9 German 16"+ guns.

There are a few clans who advertise themselves as training guilds. They want to help you improve your game, either in training classes (better than nothing), or with a mentor (one-on-one tutoring can sometimes be very helpful). However, the classes or tutor needs to be available at your typical gaming time, and the guild's active members should be around when you are, so you can division-up and practice with people from the "same school" as the teacher. Unfortunately, age and/or cultural differences can make some clan environments unpleasant, while in others the "trainers" are just ego-driven blow-hards who need "students" for an audience. A good test is to ask how much professional training and experience the "trainers" has in teaching. Have they ever written down a lesson plan? Do they know about the triad of VAK (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic) learning styles? Do they adjust they teaching approach depending on where their students fall in that spectrum?

The sad truth is that there are virtually no professional educators who are training people to be better players of WoWS. I've never encountered one, and don't really expect to. The level of professionalism needed to be a truly effective educator is WAY beyond what you can expect from fellow gamers.

Worse, just  joining a clan because they say you'll be trained and get better is a mistake. I did that: I spent months with them, and my stats went DOWN instead of up, leaving me with that much larger of a stats cliff to climb toward to reach 50% myself.

The best way I know is that if you're a visual learner (like me), read the some of the observations of really expert writers (LWM - Little White Mouse is my favorite). If you're auditory, dig around in the slush pile of youtube vids for pointers. I lilke Flamu, Notser and NoZoup. If you're Kinethetic, you might try setting up practice battles against a ship of the same tier, just to learn their weak points, how to engage them at full speed from various angles, how fast you can hurt or sink them, etc.

Whenever I'm starting a new ship, I always read up what I can, and look for a vid or two from a respected commentator. That gives me some background on how other people view the ship. Then I play that one ship as much as possible, since practice does make perfect. Finally, I always try to congratulate one friend and one enemy after each battle. I try to concentrate on players who did well, and learn from them, rather than fixate on the idiots who try to snipe from 20k with a German BB, etc.

Finally, I recommend making your stats visible to the public. Any "serious" clan will want to see them anyway. Besides, experts can often detect weaknesses in your play just by looking at your stats - but only if you reveal them!

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,939 battles

Wow.  What a thread!

with todays teams my win rate will never be 50% today and yesterday really bad. it dont matter how well of a game i get its still a loss. i started playing yesterday at 8:30 am and played all but 2 hours   [nap  iam older ] with 4 wins all day i had a lot of 60 k games in t8 and 2 100k games in a t9  so i will never find a laid back clan that does clan wars maybe i should have been more of a stat ho when i started in closed beta .last 2 years off and on.o my win rate is 44% its not moved in a long long time and i dont look for it to

This is how grammar nazis came to power....  Is he asking for a clan?

The sad truth is that there are virtually no professional educators who are training people to be better players of WoWS.

Wow, really?  I wonder why. :Smile_smile:

A good test is to ask how much professional training and experience the "trainers" has in teaching. Have they ever written down a lesson plan? Do they know about the triad of VAK (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic) learning styles? Do they adjust they teaching approach depending on where their students fall in that spectrum?

How terrible that the educators in WoWs have not lived up to your standards.  I say we demand more stringent university entrance standards!

Relax - if you learn the game as energetically as you justify yourself and complain, you will be a unicum in no time!