You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ranari

USS West Virginia '41 Announced [Updated v2]

9 comments in this topic

[MOH]
Members
437 posts
1,703 battles

I saw this in a Panzerknacker video, but I'm unable to find any other information about it other than it's a T6 battleship.  My guess is that it's going to have its sigma and accuracy reduced, and with a similar AA/Secondary layout as the New Mexico.  Having 16" guns at T6 is going to give it a lot of overmatch potential.  I look forward to getting more information on this one!

Source - https://thedailybounce.net/2018/09/18/world-of-warships-supertest-uss-west-virginia/

My thoughts -

• Comparing the difference between the Arizona and New Mexico, it looks like the West Virginia will have the accuracy of the Arizona (same dispersion, range, and sigma), but of course you'll be firing 8x 16" shells rather than 12x 14". 
  • Both the Arizona and New Mexico have 60s turret rotation speeds and ~34-35s reload, so the 45s turret rotation and 30s reload of the West Virginia will give it a bit of a different feel. 
  • Weevee appears to have the least HP out of T6 mix (7k fewer than Arizona, 3k fewer than NM), so maybe it has the same heal as the Colorado? 
  • The surface detectability range of the West Virginia looks really low though, and I'm wondering if that's intentional or a result of someone having Concealment Expert on their captain when looking at the stats. 
  • Like the Colorado, the West Virginia probably doesn't have the turtleback armor scheme like the AZ and NM do. 
  • I'm curious as to whether the West Virginia will have the minute armor differences that the Arizona has compared to the New Mexico.  The Arizona has this long 37mm plate above its main armor belt which allows it to bounce heavy shells and shatter 5-6" HE rounds, where as in that same place, the New Mexico and Colorado have a 25mm plate that is easily overmatched and penetrated.  It's a pretty minor thing, but it gives the Arizona more surface area that it can use to bounce and shatter rounds with.

Update v2 - Wargaming has listened to fans and has renamed this ship USS West Virginia '41 with the footnote that they will release the USS West Virginia '44 at a later date.  The '44 version though is a different model, having a completely rebuilt and redesigned superstructure, added torpedo bulge, added AA, and all new secondary layout compared to the original, and thus requires an entirely new model.  With no future date given on any potential release though, it could be a long time before we ever see a 1944 version of the West Virginia.  Because I was curious, I decided to do some digging and find out what other US Standards that had the full rebuild.  I thought I might highlight the WW2 modifications for each ship, as the modifications to each were different.  Keep in mind also that this doesn't include any of the 1930's modifications, which often added 1.75-2" of deck armor, improved torpedo protection, main battery elevation increases, changed out boilers, etc. 

Source - https://www.hazegray.org/navhist/battleships/us_dr.htm

Note, the Nevada, Pennsylvania, and New Mexico class battleships all received 1930's modifications, and thus needed fewer modifications during WW2. 

• Nevada class
    • USS Nevada - Partial reconstruction.  Bridge was cut down and simplified, conning tower removed.  Added 8x2 5"/38cal dual mounts, added 40mm and 20mm mounts.  By the end of WW2, she had 10x quad 40mm, 20x twin 20mm, and 5x single 20mm mounts.
    • USS Oklahoma - Destroyed at Pearl Harbor. 
  • Pennsylvania class
    • USS Pennsylvania - Partial reconstruction, similar to the Nevada.  The arrangement of her 8x2 5"/38cal dual mounts was different, and some details were different regarding the changes to her superstructure, but pretty similar overall.  By the end of WW2, she had 10x quad 40mm, 22x twin 20mm, and 27x single 20mm mounts.
    • USS Arizona - Destroyed at Pearl Harbor, but already in-game.  Love this ship!
  • New Mexico class
    • USS New Mexico - Already in game.
    • USS Idaho - No major refit due to immediate pressing need in service.  10x single 5"/38 DP guns added along with gradually increasing 40mm and 20mm mounts throughout the war. 
    • USS Mississippi - No major refit due to immediate pressing need in service.  All 5"/51cal surface cannons removed, but a total of 16x 5"/25cal AA, 13x quad 40mm, and 40x 20mm AA cannons added.

The later Tennessee and Colorado class battleships did not receive 1930's modifications, and thus complete rebuilds were more pressing for them, as those modifications added deck armor, torpedo bulges, new fire control, etc.

• Tennessee class
    • USS Tennessee - Complete refit and modernization:  New superstructure and conning tower (ala South Dakota style), added deck armor, huge torpedo bulges, turret tops thickened, modernized fire control and AA batteries.  Final configuration included 8 dual 5"/38 DP mounts, 10x quad 40mm, and 43x single 20mm AA.
    • USS California - Same as above, but ended the war with 8 dual 5"/38 DP mounts, 14x quad 40mm, and 40x twin 20mm AA.  That's a lot of AA!
  • Colorado class
    • USS Colorado - In game
    • USS West Virginia - Complete refit and modernization:  New superstructure and conning tower (ala South Dakota style), added deck armor, huge torpedo bulges, turret tops thickened, modernized fire control and AA batteries.  Final configuration included 8 dual 5"/38 DP mounts, 10x quad 40mm, 1x quad 20mm, 1x twin 20mm, and 58x single 20mm AA.
    • USS Maryland - No major reconstruction, just minor improvements.  Partial bulges added, cage masts cut down to stumps and eventually replaced with small towers, and AA configuration changed to 8 dual 5"/38 DP mounts, 11x quad 40mm, 1x quad 20mm, and 29x twin 20mm mounts. 

All in all, the three ships to receive complete refits and modernization that make them look like the South Dakota were the USS Tennessee, USS California, and USS West Virginia.  Ships that received partial reconstruction were the USS Nevada and USS Pennsylvania.  Ships that received gradual improvements were all of the New Mexico's, the USS Colorado, and the USS Maryland. 

Characteristics
Tier VI
Hit Points 50,200 HP
Plating 25 mm
Main Battery 4×2 406 mm
Firing Range 16,1 km
Maximum HE Shell Damage 5,700 HP
Chance to Cause Fire 36%
Maximum AP Shell Damage 12,400 HP
Reload Time 30.0s
180 Degree Turn Time 45.0s
Maximum Dispersion 221 m
HE Initial Velocity 803 m/s
AP Initial Velocity 768 m/s
Sigma 1.8 α
Maximum Speed 21 kt.
Turning Circle Radius 670 m
Rudder Shift Time 13.7s
Surface Detectability 12,4 km
Air Detectability 10,7 km
Detectability After Firing Main Gus in Smoke 12,3 km
Available Consumables Slot 1: Damage Control Party
Slot 2: Repair Party
Slot 3: Spotting Aircraft

Other awesome announcements of note:

• HMS Vanguard (T8)
  • HMS Dreadnought (T3)
  • USS Wichita (T8, pre-Baltimore class)
  • USS Charleston (T3, St. Louis Class)
Edited by Ranari
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,484 posts
10,170 battles

The color on both the West Virginia and the Charleston is all wrong. For the WV since we are getting the pre-updated version the Arizona scheme would be better and for the Charleston give it the Great White Fleet scheme that the stock St Louis has. 

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,279 posts
2,294 battles

Just of Note

USS Wichita is similar in design to the Brooklyn class cruisers (Helena in game)

Basically a Brooklyn minus 6 guns but are now 203mm guns rather than 152s

has 6 single 5”/38s instead of 4 twin 5”/38s

improved armor to help survivability as its now transfering into more of a heavy cruiser role

Members
1,515 posts
7,728 battles

Im actually pretty excited for this ship since its tier 6. Like that concealment value too.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[SF-E]
Beta Testers
1,001 posts
4,199 battles
On 9/18/2018 at 11:06 AM, BrushWolf said:

The color on both the West Virginia and the Charleston is all wrong. For the WV since we are getting the pre-updated version the Arizona scheme would be better and for the Charleston give it the Great White Fleet scheme that the stock St Louis has. 

true but I look like they will be give it the WV 44 measure 32 camo i think.

[TFP]
[TFP]
Members
693 posts
19,472 battles

west virginia is very fragil , why?

vs DD  west virginia dont have bulges torps for resist the torps from DD and have bad secondaries defence.

vs Ccruiser: he is on  fire easy and have HP little for BBT6

cv:  he in first priority to sink, beacuse dont have AA, bad bulges and is fire easy. 

BB. i think that arizona,fuso,new mexico,warpite mutsu is most powerfull that west virginia.

• Cool 1

Members
1,515 posts
7,728 battles
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, rafael_azuaje said:

west virginia is very fragil , why?

vs DD  west virginia dont have bulges torps for resist the torps from DD and have bad secondaries defence.

vs Ccruiser: he is on  fire easy and have HP little for BBT6

cv:  he in first priority to sink, beacuse dont have AA, bad bulges and is fire easy. 

BB. i think that arizona,fuso,new mexico,warpite mutsu is most powerfull that west virginia.

Yeah, Wee vee is too squishy for it's slow turning, slow speed, trollish dispersion and bad concealment range.  You constantly die from HE spam in a very short period of time with like 6+ fires to deal with and absolutely nothing to do but sit there and wait. 

Just not worth the hassle.  It gives up way too much for guns too few in number with too meh of accuracy to depend on and balance it out.

The reason why the Warspite works despite being squishy "slightly less so" and having a low HP pool "slightly bigger" is that it CAN rely on it's dispersion not letting it down.  It turns better, has slightly better top speed and it's Concealment is much better which means it's not being he spammed as easily from long ranges.

It still overmatches and has a high shell damage with the same amount of guns.  It also has a better heal.  Enough said in my opinion.

Edited by Hangoverhomey
  • Cool 1