Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Y_Nagato

IFHE on French Battleship?

5 comments in this topic

[OKM]
Members
214 posts
2,382 battles

Hello there,

I am a huge fan of my Richelieu build into brawling (I know it isn't the meta but I have a blast in it anyway) but one things troubles me. If I can have lots of hit with my secondaries, it looks like only my 150 mm are able to do damage to cruiser and bb, and the biggest part of their damage comes from Fire. I am planning to go IFHE for my last 4 point skills in order to change it (already have Manual Secondaries, AFT, BFT, Adrenaline Rush and Priority Target), but was wondering: will it change a lot my Damage per minute with my secondaries?

Beta Testers
1,175 posts
14,736 battles

You can mitigate the decrease in fire chance by using flags......personally I don't use IFHE on my French BBs. As far as damage per minute goes setting fires can cause huge amounts of damage.

I generally start a fire on one target  then set manuals on another. I can have 3 fires going on 3 different ships while targeting a fourth with main guns.

Republique is a beast!

Members
1,910 posts
2,731 battles

Ifhe secondary builds will work on republique and Alsace, but I wouldn't spec republique for secondaries, at least not with ifhe. There is more benifit from survivability. 

Alsace could probably out brawl a German bb, so if you have a dedicated alsace captain, I'd go for it

[OKM]
Members
214 posts
2,382 battles
13 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

You can mitigate the decrease in fire chance by using flags......personally I don't use IFHE on my French BBs. As far as damage per minute goes setting fires can cause huge amounts of damage.

I generally start a fire on one target  then set manuals on another. I can have 3 fires going on 3 different ships while targeting a fourth with main guns.

Republique is a beast!

I see your point. So if I want to increase my DPM, Demolition expert could be a better choice? It would let me have 1 more skill free to grab something else as my last one... Well, maybe I will try that.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,119 posts
16,467 battles

IFHE is a valid route for certain French BBs in the upper tiers, namely the 100mm secondary ones.  Alsace, Richelieu for example.  The problem for Non-IJN 100mm is that it cannot penetrate the superstructure of High Tier BBs.  I went over the possible benefits for IFHE Secondaries here, as well as the math behind it.:

My Alsace is a Hardcore IFHE Secondaries Build.  BFT, AFT, Manual Secondaries, *AND* IFHE.  She cuts through ships very quickly with Secondaries.  However, the catch to this is that IFHE Secondaries Build are among the most expensive builds in the game in terms of cost to captain points.  This costed 18pts to implement and 1 pt left over.  This prohibitive cost means having a rounded build becomes impossible to achieve, i.e. CE & FP are commonly desired traits for BBs, but IFHE Secondaries is so expensive, you're not having CE nor FP.  It's the typical dance of Ship Builds, build for strengths you desire but there will be a weakness somewhere.

I love my IFHE Secondaries Alsace.  She's awesome, but there are times where I really, really wish I had CE to implement a Stealth Build, and control my engagements better.  When your natural concealment without CE is around 15km, the moment you have one fire on you, it becomes much harder to go dark and recover from fires, repair damage, etc.  You'll be perma-spotted and people will spam you at long range with no respite for you.  But that's a concession I have to deal with for that build.

The 127mm Secondaries on Republique don't really need IFHE.  127mm Non-IFHE HE shells require 21mm or thicker armor to defeat the shell, and since High Tier / Tier VIII-X BBs have 19mm superstructure, Republique can already penetrate them without the expensive trait.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this