You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

On Splits and Grinds; random thoughts from deep R'lyeh.

15 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles

So, last night I finally finished the Dallas grind and unlocked the Helena (I still have about six cycles of "dailies" to go to get the camo, because of suboptimal playing opportunities, but that's family life for you).

I have the Cleveland already, thanks to having it before the split, and so the only "grind" I will be obligated to do for my new ship is to finish out the hull and extended-range fire control systems. And I don't even have to do that if I don't want to; I have more than enough FXP to finish the job right now.

But even without that benefit, it leaves me in the rather enviable position of being able to relax and ENJOY my new ship at leisure, rather than being driven to grind her in order to get the next ship up.

It's quite a nice feeling.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,073 posts
6,498 battles

Enjoy your Helena. The Dallas grind was one of the worse grinds to date for me. I believe it was caused by my fondness for the T6 Cleveland. I mostly play the Operation of the Week so I drive my T6 & T7 ships a lot. The Dallas is better now that the grind is over and the Helena is a better ship IMO.

Members
887 posts
17,364 battles

I have found Helena play to be pretty enjoyable. Just keep dancing and raining fire; try to be effective without being too noticed.

Members
74 posts
7,674 battles

I'm in the same boat (pun intended).  I unlocked the Helena a few weeks ago, but only bought it this weekend (glad there's the sale going on).

It is a fun ship!  Similar to the Boise.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
38 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The Dallas grind was one of the worse grinds to date for me.

You haven't ground the Emerald or Karlsruhe yet, I take it? :Smile_teethhappy:

I ground the T6 Cleveland all the way out before the Split and actually prefer the Dallas at T6. This is possibly because I am more experienced now and had a better idea of how to handle her than I did the T6 Cleveland. I like her, and may use her in ops from time to time; for that reason, her captain stays in her and I'm working up a new one for the Helena (PT, AR, DE is my thought with only six points available right now).

The Helena feels like a bigger, more awkward ship, but I'm sure a bit of experience will fix that.

[TDRB]
Members
2,073 posts
6,498 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You haven't ground the Emerald or Karlsruhe yet, I take it? :Smile_teethhappy:

I ground the T6 Cleveland all the way out before the Split and actually prefer the Dallas at T6. This is possibly because I am more experienced now and had a better idea of how to handle her than I did the T6 Cleveland. I like her, and may use her in ops from time to time; for that reason, her captain stays in her and I'm working up a new one for the Helena (PT, AR, DE is my thought with only six points available right now).

The Helena feels like a bigger, more awkward ship, but I'm sure a bit of experience will fix that.

The Karlsrule wasn't that bad. British cruisers are very low priority for me so it doesn't seem like a grind and I have not made it to the Emerald yet.

While I have had some good scores with the Dallas, I haven't came close to matching my top T6 Cleveland scores.

A 10pt captain improved my Dallas play. IFHE is a must. I opted for EL, EM, DE & IFHE in both my Dallas & Helena. I switch between HE & AP in operations due to the number of cruisers on the red team. As my commander points increase I will pick up AR.

A friend joined our small group about the time I got the Helena. The Helena felt light & very quick but I was playing the South Carolina often with my friend.

My favorite the French cruisers although I have fun playing all my T6 & T7 cruisers, even the Pensacola.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
31 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

A 10pt captain improved my Dallas play. IFHE is a must. I opted for EL, EM, DE & IFHE in both my Dallas & Helena.

Interesting build; I'll have to have a think about that. I find it easier to switch ammo types by unloading my barrels on a target because Priority Target helps keep me alive. I don't quite have enough points on the Dallas captain for IFHE yet, and it's interesting to note that you consider EM a worthwhile skill. Good to know that DE is a good 3-point skill to take first.

[SDIWO]
Members
18 posts
282 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Interesting build; I'll have to have a think about that. I find it easier to switch ammo types by unloading my barrels on a target because Priority Target helps keep me alive. I don't quite have enough points on the Dallas captain for IFHE yet, and it's interesting to note that you consider EM a worthwhile skill. Good to know that DE is a good 3-point skill to take first.

I don't have Helena yet, like you had already grinded up the US cruiser line prior to the split, but I have Boise and even with slightly faster turret rotation compared to Helena I definitely feel like EM is a wise investment.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
30 minutes ago, MaraMalkavian said:

I don't have Helena yet, like you had already grinded up the US cruiser line prior to the split, but I have Boise and even with slightly faster turret rotation compared to Helena I definitely feel like EM is a wise investment.

While we're on that topic, be informed (via patch notes published today) that from 0.7.9, John Doe is available in the Arsenal for 15K coal (as are the German and Soviet special captains von Jutland and Znameskiy). If he is a permanent addition, he would be worth my saving up any extra coal for; right now, I am trying to complete older collections.

Members
197 posts
5,946 battles

I finished the grind for the Helena weeks ago, but don't have the credits to purchase it as I'm saving enough to buy my Yamato before the sale ends.

I kind of liked the Dallas grind. It's a hidden bonus that your secondaries have the best range at their tier tied with Leander. Sadly, I sold it, due to my policy of not keeping paper ships in port.

The same reason I'm slowly grinding up the Cleveland, but once I hit Seattle, I'm going to FreeXP up to the Wooster.

Edited by GambitHG

[TDRB]
Members
2,073 posts
6,498 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I follow the suggestions of urpeacekeeper at Whiskey Gaming on Youtube for most builds. I do modify but I find his "balance" build is a good starting point for me. Outside of the couple of "must have" captain builds are extremely subjective as is at what point you take a certain skill. And we each have different play style and we should build according to our needs. 

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
4 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Outside of the couple of "must have" captain builds are extremely subjective as is at what point you take a certain skill.

True. DE has been under my radar for quite some time given my initial concentration on British cruisers (where it is absolutely useless because they don't have main gun HE) and battleships (where it is relatively useless because of their already-high fire chance). The ORDER of taking skills is not often covered, and where it is, I find urpeacekeeper's and others' earlier vids unhelpful (not their fault, though) because of the way the tech tree has changed since.

[TDRB]
Members
2,073 posts
6,498 battles

because of the way the tech tree has changed since.

Yes, the frequency of the changes make it impossible for contributors to keep up to date videos on all the ships. No, they are not as useful now as they were when I first started optimizing captain builds.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
3 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

No, they are not as useful now as they were when I first started optimizing captain builds.

Unless you are speccing a 19-pointer from the start, but the beginners who most need these guides aren't going to have those, and IIRC there is absolutely no way to buy your way to one without actually playing the game, no matter how much money you spend (you can only accelerate the process with flags, camo and premium time).Even the Halloween captains are only on loan.

[TDRB]
Members
2,073 posts
6,498 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unless you are speccing a 19-pointer from the start, but the beginners who most need these guides aren't going to have those, and IIRC there is absolutely no way to buy your way to one without actually playing the game, no matter how much money you spend (you can only accelerate the process with flags, camo and premium time).Even the Halloween captains are only on loan.

We'll agree to disagree on that.