You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

My Night of Co-op

29 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,298 posts
14,169 battles

Running the Personal Challenge on my GK.  Noted I needed 15 wins and Co-op was an option.  So...I decided to run it that way.  Hadn't been in Co-op in a LONG time.  Well, a few times to check something out or check game stability.  But nothing serious.

Geez.  Do bots shoot torpedoes?  Ten games, and I think I saw...maybe five...torps.  And I'm driving straight to objectives.  No dance.  Nothing fancy.  Fully speed ahead.  I'll meet a DD or two.  A Mino.  Nothing...nada...zilch.  Yeah, I know it's co-op, and they're bots. But shooting torps is pretty easy, yes?   CVs?  Fifty T10 planes downed.  In a GK.  And not ONE TBD or SBD attack on me.  

I guess I'm not really complaining.  If you want to just drive right in and brawl like there is no tomorrow, gen up 200K damage, knock off cits left and right,  and pretty much come out relatively unscathed.  Go for it.  You know the bots will be coming at you.  No finesse.  No strategy.  Hell...no torps. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

Members
2,196 posts
8,362 battles
3 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

No finesse.  No strategy.  Hell...no torps. 

Heavens forbid you call it an easy mode.  Some people take Co-op seriously.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 3

[KAOZ]
Beta Testers
3,525 posts
2,604 battles
20 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Running the Personal Challenge on my GK.  Noted I needed 15 wins and Co-op was an option.  So...I decided to run it that way.  Hadn't been in Co-op in a LONG time.  Well, a few times to check something out or check game stability.  But nothing serious.

Geez.  Do bots shoot torpedoes?  Ten games, and I think I saw...maybe five...torps.  And I'm driving straight to objectives.  No dance.  Nothing fancy.  Fully speed ahead.  I'll meet a DD or two.  A Mino.  Nothing...nada...zilch.  Yeah, I know it's co-op, and they're bots. But shooting torps is pretty easy, yes?   CVs?  Fifty T10 planes downed.  In a GK.  And not ONE TBD or SBD attack on me.  

I guess I'm not really complaining.  If you want to just drive right in and brawl like there is no tomorrow, gen up 200K damage, knock off cits left and right,  and pretty much come out relatively unscathed.  Go for it.  You know the bots will be coming at you.  No finesse.  No strategy.  Hell...no torps. 

You got lucky.  When the AI gets a hard-on for you, you get focused the entire game.  I saw at least 20 torpedoes flying around (and I ate 4) today.  Yesterday, I saw a 12-15 stack heading my way (Yes in Co-Op).
There are too many players in Co-Op nowadays tho.  It makes matches far too quick, easy, and feeling unsatisfying.

But not enough to go back to PvP.  I had enough of that long ago.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
587 posts
1,248 battles

That's odd...they're usually torping themselves as well as the human players...

• Funny 2

Alpha Tester
10,265 posts
4,602 battles

What you'll see in co-op torps is a delay from when a normal human will shoot them. Possibly trying to get more hit %, but that also works against them.

I just went within too close of arming distance of an Ibuki in my Massamachoochoo and that thing didn't try spitting torps at me until my smoke stack was crossing his rudder.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
28 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Heavens forbid you call it an easy mode.  Some people take Co-op seriously.

Heaven forbid if you call PvP "run away like a [edited] mode".

I don't know anyone who takes PvE seriously unlike PvP/Ranked where people flock to the forums to complain about how terrible everyone else is or how to prevent other players from playing their favorite  mode. The reason you get blowback when you say "easy mode" is because you are being purposely insulting then feigning ignorance for your behavior and playing the victim card.

To the OP, if you want to see torps, play a cruiser or a DD. I am guessing GK is the tier 10 German BB. By the time a battleship gets in close enough to see torps, most of the torpedo boats have been destroyed save ships like the Tirpitz. If your fellow players are decent, they will focus their fire on the torp boats first as bots tend to launch suicide torpedoes at close range. If you want torpedo spam, take a DD and have at it. Maybe a cruiser. Battleships have it relatively easy playing co-op since the AI focuses on human ships based on hit points and health. BBs tend to be pretty healthy. If you want excitement, cap. This is what I do with my BB in co-op. I jump in the mix with the cruisers and supporting the DDs and always put myself in a position to tank damage as opposed to the PvP meta of staying at range and bombarding targets while others are being shot at. If you are mixing it up and not seeing torps, it is probably because they already fired them and they haven't reloaded yet. Since it takes around 2 minutes for most high tier ships to reload torpedoes, and co-op matches are generally over in around 5 minutes, well you can do the math.

Bot carriers are notoriously bad both the friendly and red ones. I fear them the least but always keep my ships AA spec'd since you see them far more than you do I PvP play.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 2

Members
2,196 posts
8,362 battles
12 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Heaven forbid if you call PvP "run away like a [edited] mode".

I don't know anyone who takes PvE seriously unlike PvP/Ranked where people flock to the forums to complain about how terrible everyone else is or how to prevent other players from playing their favorite  mode. The reason you get blowback when you say "easy mode" is because you are being purposely insulting then feigning ignorance for your behavior and playing the victim card.

Co-op is easy mode, it’s a fact.  In other games with difficulty settings if you keep losing you can dial difficulty down to where you start winning.  That is what co-op is.  I find it amusing that someone may find it insulting.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 5

[WOLF9]
Members
1,360 posts
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

You had the ship with the largest health pool in the game, and the bots seek out the lowest health target to prioritize(which they do with terminator like persistence).  Take a destroyer and see what happens, because the bots know where you are, regardless of any spotting or detection rules the game may have. They will chase you to the ends of the earth.

Yes the bots do launch torpedoes, but they tend to do it at certain death range. If the bot cv decides to bring the love, you will see more torpedoes than you ever knew existed, with bombs thrown in for good measure.

The scary part is, the bots are still better than half the people in randoms.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,298 posts
14,169 battles

This game was a riot:

After I drove deep, the Yamato and GK decided to engage me and chased me for most of the game.  Funny stuff.

1400+ secondaries fired, with over 500 hits.  12 fires for....120K damage.  Total Riot.

Riot.thumb.jpg.96cef2649863d0c6e58d6c91c97b8d6c.jpg

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

Co-op is easy mode, it’s a fact.  In other games with difficulty settings if you keep losing you can dial difficulty down to where you start winning.  That is what co-op is.  I find it amusing that someone may find it insulting.

It is easier no doubt, but your nastiness is why you are wailing about people taking it seriously.

I have 13k games in PvE, never met anyone who takes the mode seriously. Most people are there having fun. It is why people play it. For most of us it is an arcade game like any other. The thing that makes PvP "not fun" is the minority of toxic players there who make the game a miserable experience. You probably know them, they are the ones insulting how others decide to spend their time and money.

• Cool 11

Members
1,592 posts
4,360 battles

Co-op is what I do for a break, honestly. After enduring the salt mines of high tier, it's nice to be able to queue up for a win. If there were more bots, I'd do it more often. It's a major bummer when the bots suicide into your teammates instead of you and you can scarcely get any damage done before it's all over.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
16 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

Co-op is what I do for a break, honestly. After enduring the salt mines of high tier, it's nice to be able to queue up for a win. If there were more bots, I'd do it more often. It's a major bummer when the bots suicide into your teammates instead of you and you can scarcely get any damage done before it's all over.

Adding more bots has been suggested over and over again. They tweaked the AI recently and it was a fail. I was hoping they would just "tweak the tweak" but they went back to the old aggressive Terminator bots instead. The new AI had bot DDs who used their smoke which was nice (and fun). They should have made the smoking cruisers do the same. The big problem is they made ALL the bots attempt kiting. Even BBs... It was a mess, the mode wasn't any harder, it just dragged the matches out to the full 20 minutes. That is what raised the stink, well that and the bot CVs on both sides got broken with the change.

They way to fix PvE and make it more challenging is to put the bots using smoke in the game including cruisers. Keep the aggressive bot BBs and CVs like they are now. Then add the bot kiting cruisers to frustrate the human players. BTW I got caught between two red bots in my Lexington at close range during the new AI change. As soon as they started taking secondary fire from my carrier, the Tirpitz and NM (I think) both turned and ran from me in an attempt to kite me..... They really didn't think that change thru...

BBs can struggle to get points in co-op and is one reason I elect to play cruisers mostly. If you end up on a team of decent human players, the matches can be over very quickly. The fastest match I can remember lasted 4 minutes and 17 seconds...

Edited by Taylor3006

Members
300 posts
1,625 battles

Congratulations, you're lucky.

I often find the bots not only launch torpedoes at me, but in impossibly accurate impossibly tight spreads. Especially the British

[PVE]
Members
7,565 posts
13,064 battles
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Bots don't do preemptive torps the way humans do and thank god for it as they always know where you are even if undetected so it would be brutal how effective they would be.  They don't launch, usually, at max range either. They generally launch them fairly close (inside 5-6km max I would say and those would be long shots for them - more common inside 3-4km). When they do you will know it because they are always perfectly on target and you better be good at dodging when they appear (unless spotted early for you).

Bots also "cheat" with torps the way they do other things. They are able to launch them at angles they shouldn't be able to (like straight ahead with no bow mounted tubes) and they are notorious for launching them after death (especially when really close - you can see torps launch from the hull you just sunk AFTER it has already exploded). We call these the ghost torps. Play enough Co-op and you will be sunk a lot by those ghost torps that either magically launch from a sunken ship when you are in close near it OR that appear LONG after the ship is sunk and LONG after the torps should have run out (plus you WASD'd as well). Very annoying. I hate the ones that appear minutes later after I sunk a ship and changed course yet they are always dead on to hit me and sink me

My guess is you just didn't get close enough to a ship with torps for them to launch or they had earlier and we reloading. Bots absolutely use them and with great effectiveness. They just don't spam them around or take long range shots like humans.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[T-RIP]
Members
1,596 posts
8,995 battles
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

This game was a riot

That says it all, and really, what else matters, you had fun, co-op or pvp, as long as you're having fun that's what counts.

People will yammer on until the end of this game about this mode and that mode, you hit the nail on the head.

I love a great co-op brawl where my GK does all the work lol

have at it sailor!

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,642 posts
15 hours ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Congratulations, you're lucky.

I often find the bots not only launch torpedoes at me, but in impossibly accurate impossibly tight spreads. Especially the British

Yeah.  I was going to say just get a little too close to a bot torp cruiser, or have one charge you- you'll get to eat all the impossible to dodge torpedoes you never wanted, lol.

I had an Emerald launch all of it's torps single fire in a freaking conga line at me the other day.   I was pointing directly away and actively dodging in my TX- and still every single one hit.   And NO damage saturation- it ate ALL of my hp.  (every torpedo hit the same spot on my ship- the stern.)

I was kinda wondering about the bot changes.  For a couple of days it was really messed up, then it was fine.   Back to the old obnoxious bots- but they kept their angling and dodging skills.   I didn't realize they'd reverted- I thought I'd just acclimated to it really quickly.  Silly me, lol.

• Angry 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,642 posts
13 hours ago, SpudZero said:

That says it all, and really, what else matters, you had fun, co-op or pvp, as long as you're having fun that's what counts.

People will yammer on until the end of this game about this mode and that mode, you hit the nail on the head.

I love a great co-op brawl where my GK does all the work lol

have at it sailor!

That's what I like about it- you can play those fun top tier ships AND brawl with them.   Kinda slow?  Got a short effective range?  Doesn't matter- they'll come to you!  It makes the new US CL's just plain nasty- you don't always have back line snipers just waiting for you to break cover, so they can earn another dev strike pin,  and that 6" AP does absolutely ghastly damage to things at short range (where the funny arcs don't matter).

[EQRN]
Members
723 posts
10,259 battles

I don’t see the levels of retardation in co op that I do in randoms, so if Randoms is hard mode, it’s mainly because of the enormous population of window licking fsckwits, and that’s not the kind of “Hard Mode” I’d view as a symbol of pride or achievement.

Beta Testers
1,229 posts
8,727 battles
16 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

It is easier no doubt, but your nastiness is why you are wailing about people taking it seriously.

I have 13k games in PvE, never met anyone who takes the mode seriously. Most people are there having fun. It is why people play it. For most of us it is an arcade game like any other. The thing that makes PvP "not fun" is the minority of toxic players there who make the game a miserable experience. You probably know them, they are the ones insulting how others decide to spend their time and money.

Saw nothing 'nasty' in his post at all. Seems to me *you're* the one taking it too seriously and being nasty.

No one cares how you spend your time and money, and stop trying to be a victim.  Anytime somebody calls PvE 'easy', which it ridiculously is so, we get replies like this. 

'Toxic'; is when career Co-op players grind a Midway or high tier BB, then jump into randoms with a blazing infra red 39% WR,  then get bent out of shape when their team rightfully gives them a hard time.  They deserve it. Since co-op bots are entirely predictable and not really competitive long term co-op play teaches players really bad habits that gets them crushed in  PvP. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,572 posts
1,687 battles

When I was in my stock Nassau, the bot CV seemed to know I had no AA.  I faced like 6 torp drops before our CV gunned down all the bombers.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles
2 hours ago, Scotty_SE said:

Saw nothing 'nasty' in his post at all. Seems to me *you're* the one taking it too seriously and being nasty.

No one cares how you spend your time and money, and stop trying to be a victim.  Anytime somebody calls PvE 'easy', which it ridiculously is so, we get replies like this. 

'Toxic'; is when career Co-op players grind a Midway or high tier BB, then jump into randoms with a blazing infra red 39% WR,  then get bent out of shape when their team rightfully gives them a hard time.  They deserve it. Since co-op bots are entirely predictable and not really competitive long term co-op play teaches players really bad habits that gets them crushed in  PvP. 

Of course you didn't see it. We all know saying "easy mode" is respectful....

Not playing the victim, personally I don't care enough to participate in that manner, just tired of the insulting manner of some of the other players in the game, especially the ones who don't care about the mode yet find time to post comments in threads dedicated to co-op play. Seems intentional, maybe they get a dopamine hit out of poking fun at others. Maybe they are psychotic, maybe they are just fart sniffing morons... Hard to tell. 

I have 16k games, probably a couple thousand in PvP, and never have bothered to check the stats of other players I am playing with or against. I don't care who they are, what they do, how they got where they did, etc. It is a game and just don't care. Maybe you need to take a step back and ponder why you are checking that kind of information. I don't need your permission or acceptance to play any game mode I please. The need to "give them a hard time" says far more about you and your "type" than it does about the potato player. 

BTW it is interesting that you bring up other people's stats yet keep yours hidden...... Hypocrisy much?

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 5

Members
1,866 posts
23 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I romp and stomp in co-op in and then people complain the new AI is too hard or they lost 9 games straight. I ran one to tests a new CV and I don't know CVs....the whole team was bots, still won.

• Bad 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,814 posts
19,621 battles

Soshi I actually thought about you tonight while playing my Missouri in co--op. Match started and I moved to the A cap to tank, telling the two cruisers with me to let me up front to absorb damage. Got spotted, started taking fire but got into the cap. Was being attacked by two BBs to the north and two cruiser (Neptune and Prinz Eugen) to the east. I think there was a Cleveland in the mix as well, just kind of forget where he was. Anyways almost deleted the Neptune and Prinz with broadsides but my team gave them the killing blows. I had avoided the Neptune's torpedoes and knew the Prinz's were inbound but if I attempted to avoid them all, it would put me broadside to the two BBs, one of which was a Tirpitz and I most certainly would have eaten his. Anyways saw the torps and positioned my MO to take it on the torp bulge. I detonated..... Only the second time I have ever detonated in a BB playing co-op. The bots had bum rushed the A cap for some reason (I suspect it was because our Cleveland or Prinz had the fewest HPs in the match) leaving many of our team out of the fight at the C cap. They were picked off one by one.

Edited by Taylor3006

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

My night of Co-Op didn't turn out too good. I was driving Alabama and ooops! I mistimed shooting at a Bot Bama just as a Green Missouri was approaching it. The Mo killed the Alabama and my shells killed the Missouri. My bad most definitely. Pink for 4 battles. So I decided to saddle up Belfast and do 4 battles to get rid of the pink. not more than 30 seconds after the first battle started, my ISP took a dump and was down for over a hour. When I finally got back into WoWs, I was orange and restricted to Co-Op only for 10 battles due to abandoning the battle.

It wasn't my night.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,298 posts
14,169 battles
10 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

My night of Co-Op didn't turn out too good. I was driving Alabama and ooops! I mistimed shooting at a Bot Bama just as a Green Missouri was approaching it. The Mo killed the Alabama and my shells killed the Missouri. My bad most definitely. Pink for 4 battles. So I decided to saddle up Belfast and do 4 battles to get rid of the pink. not more than 30 seconds after the first battle started, my ISP took a dump and was down for over a hour. When I finally got back into WoWs, I was orange and restricted to Co-Op only for 10 battles due to abandoning the battle.

It wasn't my night.

Defeated by the bots.  Just wait until AI really gets moving.  "...my ISP took a dump and was down for over an hour....I heard a knock on my door...

Robot:  "Please put your hands behind your back.  You are under "Orange" arrest.  Ten hours of community service, and you will be released on probation".