You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

In a time and meta where ships having tricks up their sleeves makes them great, why doesn't the monty have anything?

45 comments in this topic

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,243 posts
5,408 battles

Conq has repair and HE damage like no other. 
Repub has reload and speed

Yam has the biggest guns in the game that can pen anything at any angle

GK has the best secondaries and armor in the game, even gets Hydro

Monty has???? Worst armor and most HP in her superstructure? 

Seriously, why is this ship so bad? Don't EVER go broadside to anything t10 CA or BB in this game or prepare to get deleted. Don't bother angling to yammy or GK, both just overpen the front for cit hits. And it's the only ship that doesn't boast something rare or a consumable that no one else has. it could at least get something like 13k radar and that would be helpful to the team. 

But nope. Not worth getting this ship folks. There is a reason why it boasts the worst w/r in the game, even if it is only by .50%. Because if you look, it also has the lowest average damage in the game. 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 7

Members
638 posts
12,822 battles

Odd that such a worthless ship is often found in competitive modes.

But to answer your question: she is part of the original two lines. Back before gimmicks were needed to sell new lines. Many ships in the original lines have no gimmick and most of those have not aged well.

[C-CA]
2,324 posts
4,533 battles
Just now, Prothall said:

But to answer your question: she is part of the original two lines. Back before gimmicks were needed to sell new lines. Many ships in the original lines have no gimmick and most of those have not aged well.

^^ Pretty much. It's the same reason why the once fastest battleship at tier 7, the Nagato, now comes in third from the bottom in terms of speed; and why the once kings of agile gun-fighting, the USN DDs, now sit pretty firmly as gun-leaning hybrids at best.

Then again, what the heck is wrong with having twelve of the most powerful and accurate 16" guns in the game with a strong AA suite?

• Cool 3

[5D3]
1,243 posts
5,408 battles
6 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

twelve of the most powerful and accurate 16" guns in the game 

if by most powerful you really mean most average, then I'll agree. 

• Bad 4

Alpha Tester
10,265 posts
4,602 battles
20 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Odd that such a worthless ship is often found in competitive modes.

That's a range and build factor vs a radar meta designed to camp behind islands and scout/defend caps. I.e. more often than not a BB in CW is not going to be your priority target.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,186 posts
13,636 battles

Montana's gimmick is being an all-rounder suitable for any task, without pronounced weaknesses.

• Cool 6

Members
1,367 posts
7,845 battles

how they made ships years ago is different than now a days.   with that being said, no.  the monty is not weak.  It is an all around fantastic BB.  Great AA and decent secondaries.    12 accurate 16 inch shells will put a hurt on any one.  Its armor is good if you know how to angle.  If you dont, get use to being punished.   Even with the cit lowered, it is one of the few BBs left that can be truly punished when showing a lot of side.(as all bbs should imo)

Alpha Tester
10,265 posts
4,602 battles
9 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

how they made ships years ago is different than now a days.   with that being said, no.  the monty is not weak.  It is an all around fantastic BB.  Great AA and decent secondaries.    12 accurate 16 inch shells will put a hurt on any one.  Its armor is good if you know how to angle.  If you dont, get use to being punished.   Even with the cit lowered, it is one of the few BBs left that can be truly punished when showing a lot of side.(as all bbs should imo)

Pretty much means that you're gonna need that rudder shift upgrade.

[KRAB]
Members
732 posts
7,221 battles

It is a generalist in a metagame where you need a gimmick. 

I would love to see it get back the raised citadel, but be given the DM's AP ricochet angles. This could potentially make it devastating at longer ranges due to the thick belt and plunging fire, which was the original design intent of the ship. 

• Cool 1

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Alpha Tester
1,184 posts
4,858 battles
24 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Doesn't Montana have the heaviest broadside in the game? That's a pretty good gimmick. 

Yes it does. Not sure what the problem is.

Members
1,367 posts
7,845 battles
11 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Pretty much means that you're gonna need that rudder shift upgrade.

not really.  You use concealment to get all the guns on target, fire, and when they return fire you angle back.  rinse and repeat.  You dont even have to angle that much to stop most rounds from penetrating your belt armor.  Your belt thickness is thick enough to stop the rounds cold rather than auto bouncing.  You only have to really worry about the very high pen guns when doing this.  I find it pretty easy to get most if not all my gun on target when kiting while still staying pretty well angled. 

popping out at 13.4km or so and unleashing that heavy broadside, if aimed right can be devastating.  while there are some downsides from coming up from the iowa like speed, stealth, and maneuverability, you gain a lot of belt armor, and that 4th gun.(and secondaries if those matter to you)

Members
1,581 posts
47 battles

Let's Give Montana Des Moines Radar Because Superior American Radar Guidance

Edited by RyuuohD_NA

[KSE]
Members
7,842 posts
8,167 battles

Somehow, the "worst" ship is the go to ship for competitive.

I have a feeling this is a case of operator error. She certainly works fine for me.

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,754 posts
6,667 battles

Atm Montana is the best DD killer, though this will change. Will still be great vs Khaba I guess.

She’s also one of the best cruiser killers.

Tbh I am really enjoying Montana compared to the other gimmicky ships. I think you need to change your gameplay. Suprise people.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
794 posts
6,426 battles

It's main disadvantage IMO is USN accuracy mod is too good to pass up for reload but this has allowed many a low health targets to slip away in those critical few seconds. Probably the only thing about the ship that pisses me off on a regular basis.

[HOTEL]
Members
2,000 posts
6,912 battles

GK is like a used toilet paper shop. It's unique, but that's not a good thing. GK armor is a meme for starters. There's no difference between a 20k citadel salvo and a 20k AP pen salvo. Secondaries are useless and the GK, unlike Bismarck, has such abysmal concealment that it will never get close enough for them to be relevant. GK is scary in a cyclone. That's about it and that applies to most non-DDs.

Also, lol at needing an 18pt captain for your meme build to be slightly less irrelevant. Just don't play KM BB. They're trash.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Bad 3

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,956 posts
9,235 battles

She has a gimmick - AA. That has always been USN's thing albeit it's been partially usurped. Problem is Wargaming keeps screwing things up  when itcomes to CV's so few of us play them. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,763 posts
8,291 battles

Montana is a solid ship.  Her gimmicks are subtle and only visible to those who are aware of the intricacies of battleship AP shells.  Montana's lower velocity but high mass AP shells still have excellent penetration power and shell damage.  On top of this, with the right upgrade combination, they are among the most accurate battleship caliber shells at tier 10 -- yes, even rivaling those of Yamato.  Their lower velocity and shell fall angle makes them a nightmare for German cruisers at a distance which made Montana the obvious go-to for punishing Hindenburgs in competitive while not giving up any killing power versus other cruisers and destroyers.

She's a good all rounder and she scales better with player skill than battleships like Yamato or Conqueror.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
912 posts
14,100 battles

When you take Monty to a match you know what you are getting and there is no 'if they have this or this i'm boned'. Accuracy, firing angles you can wiggle to and then go back to auto bounce range, good enough stealth, good enough AA … what gimmick does it need to function?

[INTEL]
Members
1,071 posts
10,207 battles

I just purchased Monty and I like her a lot. For me that's surprising as I absolutely despise Iowa and barely tolerate Mo and NC.

I'm average at best with BBs in general, likely lower with USN BBs. Monty is treating me the way I want to be treated by a ship. If I do my part Monty does hers. I'm learning that Monty doesn't need a gimmick, she has an abundance of substance.

[INTEL]
Members
9,528 posts
27,165 battles
19 hours ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

Also excellent concealment. 

[WOLFB]
Members
2,243 posts
9,768 battles
4 hours ago, mustangman6579 said:

Conq has repair and HE damage like no other. 
Repub has reload and speed

Yam has the biggest guns in the game that can pen anything at any angle

GK has the best secondaries and armor in the game, even gets Hydro

Monty has???? Worst armor and most HP in her superstructure? 

Seriously, why is this ship so bad? Don't EVER go broadside to anything t10 CA or BB in this game or prepare to get deleted. Don't bother angling to yammy or GK, both just overpen the front for cit hits. And it's the only ship that doesn't boast something rare or a consumable that no one else has. it could at least get something like 13k radar and that would be helpful to the team. 

But nope. Not worth getting this ship folks. There is a reason why it boasts the worst w/r in the game, even if it is only by .50%. Because if you look, it also has the lowest average damage in the game. 

What Monty has ?

Montana has better AP than Conqueror

Montana has better accuracy than Kurfust

Montana has better citadel protection than Yamato

Montana has better concealment than République. 

Montana has a lot of strenght that rely on skill. If you fail to notice that, you might consider revisit your gameplay. 

• Cool 1