Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Question about IJN premium BB's?

8 comments in this topic

Members
308 posts
6,145 battles

Namely which of the 3 I don't have is the best ship tier for tier? I have the tier 4 Ich bb but can I have honest opinions about the Mutsu, Ashitaka and the Kii. Seems people either really like them or flat out hate them. TIA

Members
1,565 posts
47 battles

Mutsu.

If you know how to play the Nagato, you'll do fine even at T8 matches. You just have to be even more cautious with your broadsides and be wary of planes.

Despite what two of the most vocal people here might want you to believe, Mutsu works really fine at T6. 

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
284 posts
14,819 battles
12 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Mutsu.

If you know how to play the Nagato, you'll do fine even at T8 matches. You just have to be even more cautious with your broadsides and be wary of planes.

Despite what two of the most vocal people here might want you to believe, Mutsu works really fine at T6. 

I agree, Mutsu is actually pretty good, provided you have patience and dont yolo. Mutsu has worse AA, Armor, Maneuverability and Gun Sigma than Nagato, however, she does have two things in her favor. Four Torps and 16 inch rifles. The torps are almost useless, they are 4 single launch tubes with limited drop arcs,  however they have decent range and reload really fast (7 km range and 21 secs reload without TA),. The 16 inch guns are reallly derpy, but, hit hard, they do have Nagato's A Hull WWI rounds which if i remember correctly have worse penetration than Nagato leading to a lot of shatters if you go for the belt of some High Tier Battleships.

Let me give you a link to a good place were you could look at the information you want and hopefuly, decide for yourself. Good luck mate.

Edited by Sidelock

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,713 posts
3,787 battles

I would actually say Ashitaka; she can pull her weight in T7 Operations and Co-Op for the most part, bringing in 10 big guns with identical performance to Amagi's 10 guns down a tier, to T7. This is due to the fact that most AI enemies will ignore BBs unless they're a more convenient target, and Ashitaka's lack of armor isn't as fatal as it'd be in PvP/Randoms, where everyone would prioritize to get out out of play quickly. If you manage to get Ashitaka with her Kobayashi Camouflage, she'll even print money and XP like a T8 would given the sheer Camouflage bonuses. Ashitaka herself has speed but no AA, so do be aware that she shouldn't be carelessly advancing into AI plane swarms, or get too far ahead of the rest of the team.

Kii is a worse Amagi in every respect save one; her only saving grace is better AA and highly situational torpedoes. Unless you're masochistic, it takes more effort to make her play as well as Amagi, and you won't be relying on those torpedoes often. Save yourself some cash and just grind to Amagi. The only reason one would want Kii is if she's sold with her Kobayashi camouflage, in which case even half-afted games has her printing Credits/XP.

I hate Mutsu, but she's workable in T6 Operations that permit her in as well as in Co-Op, for the same reasons as Ashitaka. Bringing in the big guns a tier lower. Do note that Mutsu's guns have worse performance than Nagato though, unlike Ashitaka. Just ignore the torpedoes unless you have an actual opportunity to use them, but don't expect to make it a regular part of your gameplay like one would with Sharnhorst/Gneis/Tirpitz. In PvP? Mutsu melts pretty fast, taking pens from every angle, just like Ashitaka.

Edited by YamatoA150
  • Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,955 posts
9,222 battles

Only one I have is Mutsu, Which yes, does have less armour than Nagato, namely the Barbettes and internally, the outer armour is otherwise the same sans the giant torp bulge. Her AP isn't as good, no - But I've still citadeled a Bismarck at near max range (yes, they can be citadeled, through the deck). Defenietly want to hang back at range in 8 matches, tier 6, she can be a bit more of a bully against cruisers. BB's, Doable, but even I wouldn't advise it, and I've gone to point blank range against Republique with my Baltimore (even though I won). 

But yeah, it's a fun, fairly cheap ship. 

[LHG]
Members
1,390 posts
5,619 battles

Have the Mutsu but not the others, so I can only speak for her. She's good, but she doesn't exactly work like the average IJN BB. Her playstyle sits somewhere between Nagato and Gneisenau, with stats reduced to fit T6.

Mutsu has Nagato's health, but not her armor. She only gets standard IJN heal and repair as well. Good aggro and health management are important.

Mutsu's guns lack penetration, to the point where Fusou's 356s will perform better outside of close quarters. They aren't as accurate as Nagato's, which matters more with less rounds per salvo than most of the other T6 BBs. However, they aren't as poor as Bayern's guns, and they are still 410s. Aim amidships for consistent damage, instead of trying to hit the citadels of other battleships. Cruisers are still vulnerable to taking massive damage, citadels or not, at most ranges should RNG bless you. Mutsu struggles to repel destroyers, exercise caution when they're around.

The secondaries are largely forgettable. They fire AP and are limited to 4km at base. I wouldn't recommend a full secondary build (though I personally am working towards something similar, to complement the other secondary weapon system listed below).

The torpedoes are weird: 2 single launches per side with terrible, near-broadside angles. Range is good at 7km, but speed and damage are mediocre. They reload 30% faster than the main guns. They allow Mutsu to use the same battleship-rushing tactic that Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, and Tirpitz are capable of. However, it is much more dangerous for Mutsu to do this since she isn't as sturdy as those German BBs and will have to present a lot of side in order to maximize the effect. I'd only use this tactic against other battleships, and only if a broadside pass is involved. I would not recommend swinging the ship wide to fire off the torps, a move that is also a mistake for IJN cruisers.

The spotter plane is mostly a decoration, Mutsu is not lacking in the range department. It can occasionally be used as hillbilly hydro or as a better perspective tool for hitting smoked-up targets.

Mutsu, like many IJN BBs, relishes in her pagoda mast and wants everyone to see it. CE is recommended.

[4HIM]
Members
2,119 posts
5,779 battles

I actually enjoy the Mutsu.  I'm using it to train Isoroku.  Don't play it real often.  But of all my ships, it has the second best average damage dealt.  Great rifles.  And while the torps are nowhere near as good as those on Graf Spee, Shiny Horse, or Gneis, they reload super fast.  I don't count on them to deal damage so much as to force an enemy (that has managed to sneak in close) to change direction.  Any damage you get with them is just icing on top.  Had a few reds derp into them as a lot of people don't realize it has them.  Overall, decently fun ship.  

Sign in to follow this