Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

5 New Ships YAY ( I think )

19 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,317 posts
16,534 battles

HI  Ho WOWS fans

Well i go off line to get some shut eye and wake up to brand world with 5 new ships, hooray I think till i have quick look through the Stats.

So I would like to put my take, my view and thoughts on these new ships, bear in mind they are in WIP  status.

A disclaimer first  as i am a average Joe in the game  some may even say a potato even my views may not even count however since its us Joe's and potatoes buying these ships I may just have a few good points like anyone else here.

So Friends, Romans, Countrymen and women lend me your ears, OK sorry wrong era.

Alright first up

USS West Virginia 

Pre Pearl Harbour for the collectors it will make a lovely addition to the Port Queen collection 

In battle this thing is slow it will be lucky to get out of the spawn area before the end of the game like most tier 6 BBs or it will sunk by high speed fast firing accurate tier 7/8 BBs  or bombed into oblivion by Kaga , Enterprise, Graf Zeppelin and the rest of the tech tree CV's in game, and lets not forget the up and coming CV rework to add to its woes or stealth torpedoed to death by pack of DDs.

Yeah at  21 knots in its current configuration the only place this ship is going is on a down wood spiral to bottom of the pixel ocean with great regularity.

Strike 1 

HMS Vanguard

Modern British BB with antiquated guns see this coming a mile off,this ship will probable be  fitted with Defensive Fire , Main Battery Booster and  Massive HE boost so it becomes another of those fire breathing British BB's  that cant do anything else .

Player requirements  REMOVE BRAIN  load HE push fire button.

Strike 2

USS Wichita

Great another Radar cruiser  enough said

Strike 3 

HMS dreadnought

Well we might just have winner had a look at the ship and if my eyes deceive me a I cant see any secondaries on her if that's true that's a downer  lets hope not.

At least WG didn't butcher her like they did to Konig and kaiser and give her a fictional 1930/40 refit.

Pass

USS Charleston

When I first read the name I thought WG was creating a operation scenario  for the battle of Charleston and we were getting Ironclads YAY not to be its the ship and i like the blue camo  it has that Derek zoolander blue steel look about it.

Related image

I like the St Lo class  too

Pass

So lets tally up the score from WG 

3 strikes 

2 passes 

not good 

Come on WG you have the entire world to choose ships from and you pick half the new ships that are CUT and PASTE  clones.

Meanwhile the entire Italian navy sits tied to wharf's and Buoys waiting to be scanned, rendered and produced  and still you produce clones :Smile_facepalm:

WG goes to great lengths to produce OP broken Russian ships at one end of the spectrum to annoy the community then goes the complete opposite end to produce ships wanted by the community but that MAY be less than game worthy and game playable and I quote MAY not be as they are WIP.

Hey WG how about a happy medium for once.

regards   

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 2

[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,319 posts
4,522 battles

Wichita and Vanguard could be interesting, and Dreadnought of course is going to be a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!" for many (myself included) if only because she's THE Dreadnought. Charleston is neat, but probably a pass for me despite being a card-carrying member of the St. Louis fan-club. And then West Virginia... Devs, call it Maryland and you'll be okay, but as of right now... YOU HAD ONE JOB concerning this class you you BOTCHED IT by making the most famously and heavily upgraded Colorado of the war an A-HULL PREMIUM!

[WOLF9]
Members
7,949 posts
3,407 battles
15 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

And then West Virginia... Devs, call it Maryland and you'll be okay, but as of right now...

I'm with you!  Call it Maryland.  But I when I see a WeeVee I want it to be the version that rose from the grave.  We owe her that honor.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,335 posts
6,512 battles
25 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Meanwhile the entire Italian navy sits tied to wharf's and Buoys waiting to be scanned, rendered and produced. 

HEAR HEAR!!!!

• Boring 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
586 posts
1,246 battles

And crickets are heard from the RN premium cruiser bullpen...Belfast got thrown out of the game and there's no relief in sight...

• Angry 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,040 posts

Far cheaper to have the graphic artists slap some changes on an existing ship than create one from scratch....expect a lot more of this.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,763 posts
8,291 battles

Mouse's take:

• Dreadnought - I think we're all very happy to see her and she looks like she should perform alright right out the gates.  Stats wise, it's a modified version of a stock-Bellerophon.  Compared to the fully upgraded version, she has an improved turning radius and better concealment at the cost of less range.  With these preliminary stats, she should be a solid performer and a seal clubber's dreamboat save for running into a König Albert.

• West Virginia - I'm having a cow.  This is not the resurrected 1944/1945 version of the ship I was hoping to see.  I've already expressed my disappointment directly to the devs, but it's another CC, Vanessaira, that took the torch on delivering some quite firm feedback on how Wargaming missed the mark with releasing West Virginia in her pre-Pearl Harbour state.  Hopefully this ship will get renamed to Maryland or we'll see it overhauled with the refit she deserves.

• Vanguard - Alright, we all knew this one was going to be Hell to balance and right out the gates, the problems are evident.  Her HE shell performance is that of Warspite / Hood -- not the exaggerated HE shell from Queen Elizabeth.  Her AP shells aren't Queen Elizabeth / Hood's either.  They're not Warspite's.  They're also not Monarch's.  These sit somewhere in the middle, with a muzzle velocity that's not quite on Monarch's levels and dealing more damage than Warspite's on a per shell basis.  About the only thing she has going for her is speed, AA firepower and stealth.  I'm wondering if she got a portable drydock Repair Party.  Otherwise, she's looking hella mediocre. 

• Charleston - Blue St.Louis?  Well, it can't be worse than a Black Bogatyr or a Green, Fat not-good-enough-to-be-a-Pallada Varyag.  She has a slower reload time compared to St.Louis (9s vs 7.5s) while appearing identical in almost all other aspects.

• Wichita - Out of all the ships announced, gameplay wise this one is the one to watch out for.  With as low of a surface detection as 8.7km (8.9km if they included the camouflage bonus in her announced stats), excellent speed, turn radius and rate of turn and a 160mm armoured belt, this ship is already shaping up to be a monster.  British cruisers beware.  She's going to hunt you.

• Cool 7

[NZS]
389 posts
9,696 battles

West Virginia in pre-Pearl is a wasted opportunity.  Whoa.  Come on.  That's just silly. :c

[VW]
Members
2,270 posts
13,609 battles
50 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Mouse's take:

• Dreadnought - I think we're all very happy to see her and she looks like she should perform alright right out the gates.  Stats wise, it's a modified version of a stock-Bellerophon.  Compared to the fully upgraded version, she has an improved turning radius and better concealment at the cost of less range.  With these preliminary stats, she should be a solid performer and a seal clubber's dreamboat save for running into a König Albert.

• West Virginia - I'm having a cow.  This is not the resurrected 1944/1945 version of the ship I was hoping to see.  I've already expressed my disappointment directly to the devs, but it's another CC, Vanessaira, that took the torch on delivering some quite firm feedback on how Wargaming missed the mark with releasing West Virginia in her pre-Pearl Harbour state.  Hopefully this ship will get renamed to Maryland or we'll see it overhauled with the refit she deserves.

• Vanguard - Alright, we all knew this one was going to be Hell to balance and right out the gates, the problems are evident.  Her HE shell performance is that of Warspite / Hood -- not the exaggerated HE shell from Queen Elizabeth.  Her AP shells aren't Queen Elizabeth / Hood's either.  They're not Warspite's.  They're also not Monarch's.  These sit somewhere in the middle, with a muzzle velocity that's not quite on Monarch's levels and dealing more damage than Warspite's on a per shell basis.  About the only thing she has going for her is speed, AA firepower and stealth.  I'm wondering if she got a portable drydock Repair Party.  Otherwise, she's looking hella mediocre. 

• Charleston - Blue St.Louis?  Well, it can't be worse than a Black Bogatyr or a Green, Fat not-good-enough-to-be-a-Pallada Varyag.  She has a slower reload time compared to St.Louis (9s vs 7.5s) while appearing identical in almost all other aspects.

• Wichita - Out of all the ships announced, gameplay wise this one is the one to watch out for.  With as low of a surface detection as 8.7km (8.9km if they included the camouflage bonus in her announced stats), excellent speed, turn radius and rate of turn and a 160mm armoured belt, this ship is already shaping up to be a monster.  British cruisers beware.  She's going to hunt you.

Charleston smells like a freebie based on the pointless stats, low tier, and precedent set by varyag.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,763 posts
8,291 battles
12 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Charleston smells like a freebie based on the pointless stats, low tier, and precedent set by varyag.

Charleston smells like Oleg and Varyag -- ships that stink something awful only because St.Louis and Bogatyr are a thing.  If Wargaming nerfed those two, then the rest of the tier 3 cruisers would all fall into place, upgrading from foetid stinkpots to decent ships.

• Cool 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

I imagine the W VA riots are gonna be as bad, if not worse than Alabama gate. I have no idea what they were thinking. 

Vanguard...wow...I know she pops up once in awhile, but like Mouse said, trying to get her balanced is gonna be a chore. 

Dreadnought makes me happyhappyhappy... 

Wichita looks pretty interesting as is, but I have an idea: Make her pick between radar and heal... With radar, she would be like a pre buff Eugen, with a heal, she would be a pretty tough cookie... Just an idea... 

[4HIM]
Members
2,119 posts
5,779 battles
4 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Charleston - Blue St.Louis? 

St. Blueis?

But yeah, I don't see anything in this batch that really blows my skirt up.  

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,799 posts
19,611 battles
29 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

St. Blueis?

But yeah, I don't see anything in this batch that really blows my skirt up.  

I like the low tier premium gunboats personally. They are always fun although I doubt I would spend actual money on this one. Hopefully it will be a reward ship. Tend to agree that nothing excites me about this batch but am sure there are players who have some sort of attachment to one of the ships and may get some joy out of having them put in the game. I expect the Dreadnaught will have some fans.

[M-B]
192 posts
7,893 battles

The last launched battleship and first of their kind I'm hopeful one can get balanced right, and the other I'll buy regardless. If West Virginia gets her late war refit, that will be a buy as well, otherwise not. Keep'em coming WG *Cough* Premium 155 Mogami Please! :cap_like:

[VVV]
Members
390 posts
2,384 battles
11 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

I hope it is. I'd grind my butt off for a Charleston.

Members
688 posts
832 battles
15 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Mouse's take:

You forgot St. Louis has had an 8 second reload for a while and is getting nerfed to 9. Even with the new nerf I feel the St. Louis and Charleston will still be very good ships.

[FAE]
Members
2,322 posts
2,885 battles

Those T2 and T3 cruiser premiums are a giant waste of time. They don't offer enough exp to be worth captain grinding even with first win bonuses. 

They're usually worse or just clones of meh/bad boats already. 

This is a very missed opportunity to do something gimmicky that's fun, even if not super competitive. At least they're pretty, but just a nice skin isn't enough. If it shot green and blue tracers... now THAT might be worth spending time in the kiddy pool bopping baby seals and looking fabulous doing so. 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,636 posts
16 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Mouse's take:

I have to agree with this assessment.   Wichita is a TAKE MY MONEY WG ship, because Balti is one of my all-time favorite in-game ships.

Dreadnought is pretty much a Duh for any collector or history lover.  If it ends up also being good- hey extra bonus.

Charleston?  Sure, why not.  No such thing as too many protected cruisers in port to look at, lol!  Plus St Lou is a goodun.   And for the record, I LIKE my Black Booger.  Not entirely sure why- it just works when I play it.

Vanduard? Nope!   So far, I've kept ONE British BB (*tech tree), and they nerfed that.   The rest have been uninspiring at best.  Mostly due to the unfortunate choices of national flavor: Sloooowwwwwwwwww turret traverse, and HE spamming.    The 3 premium RN BB's I already have rarely see much play- and if I have the urge to play an RN BB I have them.  Vanguard doesn't look likely to break the trend.

West VA- You're joking right??  Please tell me this is just a mean trick they're playing on us...  as of now, this is a NO!   If it were the post=Pearl version, it would be MINE! MINE ALL MINE!!!!!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,301 posts

I’m excited about Wichita (yay finally!) and Dreadnought (obviously.)

Vanguard I will wait and see on.

West Virginia is a TRAVESTY!!!  Fix this now WG!  Call this one Maryland, and give us WV at Tier 7!

#WV44

Sign in to follow this