You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gene_Inari

Why do people bother playing?

29 comments in this topic

Members
219 posts
5,509 battles

Took a long hiatus. Tried 2 games at low tier to warm up, see if the game was worth getting back into.

Both games. Green CV is AFK while enemy CV has a captain with Air Supremacy. Someone on the enemy team is clubbing with a RPF Clemson. Team falls apart in a 3-12 stomp that's over in less than 10 minutes.

Not even worth the time it took to reinstall.

Why play when it stacks the deck and games are won based solely on whichever teams has more seal-clubbers and fewer non-loading AFKs on their team?

Edited by Gene_Inari
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 3

[G0ATS]
Alpha Tester
121 posts
4,096 battles

Masochism.

Also to procrastinate meaningful life change so as to perpetuate the delusion that this is a significant emotional return.

• Funny 2

[PQUOD]
Members
1,254 posts
8,040 battles
9 minutes ago, Gene_Inari said:

Took a long hiatus. Tried 2 games at low tier to warm up, see if the game was worth getting back into.

Both games. Green CV is AFK while enemy CV has a captain with Air Supremacy. Someone on the enemy team is clubbing with a RPF Clemson. Team falls apart in a 3-12 stomp that's over in less than 10 minutes.

Why play when it stacks the deck and games are won based solely on whichever teams has more seal-clubbers and fewer non-loading AFKs on their team?

It can be frustrating at times for sure. I had a rough day in my Montana today. I'm not the top Montana player in the game by no stretch of the imagination but usually win more than I lose. However it was a 0-7 day in the Monty. So I switched to CV play and went 7-0. 

Every day is a mixed bag. If it get's to be too much, just walk away for a little while or a day. It will change.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,998 posts

Like any game, if you're not enjoying yourself, you probably should play something else. 

However, the fact that you are not enjoying yourself does not mean that other people are not enjoying themselves. 

You do you, and the rest of us will make up our minds as to play, or not with or without your validation.   You should do the same.

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 5

[H_]
Members
1,472 posts

Many people play because the game is NOT in the modern era.........this game was suppose to be analogue LOS gameplay with traditional roles and ships.  After 7 months here, that isn't true anymore.  I suspect the game is "hollowing out" with average players leaving because of the gimmicky meta WG created to keep the game more of an arcade that a serious SIM....

It's becoming 'us' and 'them': the new players versus the vets and the matches are reflecting that as the better vets escape to other areas of the game.

Sorry OP, no bright new here .....  We're considering moving on as well.

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
18,945 posts
19,191 battles
4 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Many people play because the game is NOT in the modern era.........this game was suppose to be analogue LOS gameplay with traditional roles and ships.  After 7 months here, that isn't true anymore.  I suspect the game is "hollowing out" with average players leaving because of the gimmicky meta WG created to keep the game more of an arcade that a serious SIM....

It's becoming 'us' and 'them': the new players versus the vets and the matches are reflecting that as the better vets escape to other areas of the game.

Sorry OP, no bright new here .....  We're considering moving on as well.

I don't need the game to be a truly serious sim.  But it would be nice if it was less cheesy.

• Cool 3

[XXX]
[XXX]
Members
29 posts
13,190 battles

Just got dad into the game.  He is retired and learning processes are not as quick as they used to be.  Observing a family member and/or loved one going through a learning curve can be its own reward.  For me it is incalculable.

• Cool 1

Members
855 posts
3,736 battles

Because some of us like playing, love warships and enjoy the game. No game is perfect, this is certainly the case when dealing with MMOs. 

Why bother to play MMOs on steam when nearly all of them are filled with cheaters? Why bother to play madden when half the time you are paired against a guy who runs the same cheese play all game long? Why play a moba when your get teammates who ban the wrong god of champion and fight over rolls/lanes to the point were we have 2 mid and no jungle?

[H_]
Members
1,472 posts
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't need the game to be a truly serious sim.  But it would be nice if it was less cheesy.

Yes, I agree.  ENOUGH already WG.........  Do something really creative next ship release and get rid of the meta crap.....  Your pop and revenue will go up.

Members
585 posts
25 minutes ago, Gene_Inari said:

I play the Public test server 3-4 days of Excrement of a male Bovine and I am done. I won't play the live server until WG gets it right.( don't see that anytime soon)

• Cool 1

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
23 minutes ago, Gene_Inari said:

Welcome to the internet. This is not a WG or WoWS specific problem, seal-clubbing and AFKs happen in virtually every competitive online game.

[MKF]
Members
446 posts
16,290 battles

Why bother? Because I have fun. If it becomes not fun I'll take a break and play something else. Haven't gotten sick of this game yet though...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,686 posts
10,809 battles
8 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Welcome to the internet. This is not a WG or WoWS specific problem, seal-clubbing and AFKs happen in virtually every competitive online game.

Not all of them :Smile_smile:

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,534 posts
14,011 battles

Give it more than two games to see the changes. They ain't all bad...

Members
4,144 posts
6,876 battles

It is fun and get satisfaction form a game.  Trying to win on a random team made more challenging if AFKs are present.  Playing online games means that there will be AFKs folks from time to time.  Just have to learn to roll with it.

Members
4,714 posts
7,300 battles

Just played a random match tier 7-8. My team killed 1 ship and they killed us all.  I did not kill the 1 kill we got. Been a long time since I been on a team that only got 1 kill. Red team were pros!  All divisions. Ok....that was not a bunch of fun so gonna try again!

[WOLF1]
Members
3,998 posts
26 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Ok....that was not a bunch of fun so gonna try again!

That's really you how you have to do it.  Play a match at a time.  Like a coin you flip, it doesn't actually have a memory.  A new match is a new match.  

It's when you get angry after the first loss, and it builds after the next loss, etc, then *you* are likely to find yourself in The Stupid Zone, and then you'll keep losing!

Or log off and play something else for a while, of course.  I stopped playing only one game all the time at least five years ago...

Edited by mavfin87

[WOLFB]
Members
2,230 posts
9,756 battles

Why bother ? When I watch CC such as Yuro or Flamu, it makes me want to play the game. I also have ships to grind but these days I don't know what is happening but it is as bad as if I was playing with holidays potato every single day.  Usually it wouldn't really bother me but when you spent your money to buy those discount premium days and right after the purchase you see all those potato invading all your game, it makes me regret giving money to WG.

Well I made the mistake once, I'm not going to make the same mistake twice 

[LOU1]
Members
3,455 posts
9,239 battles

Stream of consciousness:

I like the challenge and it is fun to play.  There are a lot of little details and nuances to perceive and master throughout all aspects of the game and I find that very engaging.  I am usually so busy trying to hold up my team responsibilities that I don't have time to worry about how the other players are handling their roles.  I notice that if I can put myself in good positions and flex intelligently, it makes a big difference in our team's success.  Maybe when I get to the point where I make almost no mistakes, I will be able to stress over my team mates.  Guess that comes from being on competitive teams in many different areas from debate to tennis to theater to figure skating to sales presentations.  I also find the combat variables and challenges to mirror my Army Scout RL experiences.  No, I don't like losing but it is part of the game (and no one dies and the ship respawns in port).  When I want to win all the time, I load up one of the Alien Shooter games.

I'm sorry that it doesn't seem to be your cup of tea - there are many games I feel the same way about.  Fortunately there are hundreds (thousands) of other games out there to try.

"Fair winds and following seas..."

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,289 posts
14,138 battles
3 hours ago, Gene_Inari said:

Team composition is, itself, a random part of the game.  With a few exceptions, you are as likely to find yourself on the "stacked" side as you are the potato side.  Sometimes, there is nothing you can do to win.  And, quite frankly, sometimes there is nothing you can do to lose.  But in aggregate, you do make a difference.  And WOWS is all about the aggregate.  The aggregate number of games.  The aggregate number of salvos.  Etc.  Within this aggregate of play...the big picture...is where it all plays out.  The key is having fun playing the game.  On a loss, knowing you did your best, but it just wasn't enough.  On a win, the satisfaction that...yeah...you play a critical part in swinging the win.  

And then there are the games within the game.  The cat and mouse battles.  Out thinking...Outplaying.  And, sometimes, getting played.  Learn from mistakes made.  A change in tactics.  And the next time...a win.  A win in the game within the game...and a win in the game itself.

And in the middle of all this, you get to play with a LOT of cool ships.  It's like a big bathtub of fun.  Splashing and playing.  But no matter where you play...kiddie pool or big folk pool....you'll get splashed in the face.  Suck in some water.  Cough up some salt..or chlorine.  But....in aggregate...it's fun...it's a blast.  If it's not fun...and this has zero bearing on character as we all have different likes, then don't play.  Don't torture yourself.  Lots of other things in life to enjoy.  Find what floats your boat, and go for it.

• Cool 2

[STW]
Members
64 posts
14,340 battles

From what I understand, WG never intended WoWs to be a simulator; it always was and always will be an arcade game.  From my perspective, the use of ships from the first half of the 20th century is mostly a facade to attract an audience interested in naval history, WW I and WW II, etc.  The game could be just as well implemented using levitating unicorns lobbing rainbow food pellets to fill the stomachs of other unicorns.  (First dibs on royalty rights from anyone who actually implements that.)

I play the game for fun.  Like ExploratorOne, I enjoy the strategy and tactics, and I like the thinking required to play well and outsmart my opponents.  Like Soshi_Sone, I agree the games normalize due to sheer statistics.  Some battles are close, others are blow-outs, but concluding a game is broken based on one or even a few battles cannot lead one to an accurate assessment.

My biggest concern with the game is the steep learning curve, one that can discourage new players.  There are a huge number of details to know to be effective, and I still see veteran players with thousands of battles played still not know or understand key mechanics of the game.  Moreover, I do believe that new players suffer while trying to learn in an environment where a substantial number of other players purposefully or circumstantially take advantage of new players' ignorance.  I'm not sure how best to address this, but I can see WG losing new players because they are discouraged easily.  If there were one major change I would make to the game, I would follow Zoup's advice and have some in-game tutorial that walked players through port and battles in real time.  Content we have today mostly puts the burden on players to discover, and the in-game tutorials we do have offer only basic information on the most primitive parts of the game.

Just my two cents.