You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Carl

HMS Vanguard

69 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles

Spoiler

ST, British battleship Vanguard, tier VIII

Hit points – 71700. Plating - 32mm.

Main battery - 4x2 381 mm. Firing range - 20.0 km.

Maximum HE shell damage – 5300. Chance to cause fire – 34%. Maximum AP shell damage - 11700.
Reload time - 30.0 s. 180 degree turn time - 72.0 s. Maximum dispersion - 260 м.
HE initial velocity - 804 m/s. AP initial velocity - 804 m/s. Sigma – 1.8.

AA defense:

10x6 40.0 mm, range - 3.5 km, damage per second - 292.
1x2 40.0 mm, range - 3.5 km, damage per second - 25.
11x1 40.0 mm, range - 3.5 km, damage per second - 96.
8x2 134.0 mm, range - 5.2 km, damage per second - 68.

Maximum speed - 30 kt. Turning circle radius - 850 m. Rudder shift time – 16.2 s. Surface detectability – 14.8 km. Air detectability – 13.7 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 13.5 km.

Available consumables:
1 slot - Damage Control Party
2 slot - Repair Party

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

Reactions to follow.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles

Oookay. Firs reaction. Meh, Second reaction, very meh, 3rd reaction, oh m god meh.

72 second rotation with 1.8 sigma and a 30 second reload on guns worse than Monarch's, (they did at least give her Su[percharges).

Also they missed off her second STAAG mount somehow, not that it makes a major difference.

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
775 posts
3,812 battles

Oomphs. These are the same guns that are on the hood. Just tier 8... Man Having guns worst than the Warspite, that's bad.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

See? I didn't post :cap_win:

These turrets could use some WD40, that's for sure.

As one of the handful of resident forum brits it was good to get to post about her, and yeah.

Vanguard was allways gonna be a pain to balance. She;s a post WW2 hull with a WW1 gun set. But this is like they're not even trying IMO.

2 minutes ago, Merlox said:

Oomphs. These are the same guns that are on the hood. Just tier 8... Man Having guns worst than the Warspite, that's bad.

Actually their in between hood and monarch, they're the same guns as hood, but with supercharge's so they get better velocity than hood but worse than Monarch, (which uses the same shells, just fired at a higher velocity).

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
411 posts
6,429 battles

Looks incredibly underwhelming... :fish_palm:

And that's the fifth sixth premium RN BB in the game now.... 

Edited by Noble_Taipan

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,346 posts
11,284 battles

I hope there are some 'hidden' stats like the presence of Nelsonian superheal, 40m max dispersion ellipse or similar.

Trash turret traverse, trash guns from the look of it, trash, trash, trash.

Hood has the same firepower, better traverse, distributed armor for HE resistance, worse base-AA but rockets-o-death, goes 32kt instead of 30kt.

The concealment's nice, in a tier full of stealthy battleships, and the AA's nice I guess if there happen to be carriers - and you haven't been HE spammed because it's all 40mm bofors and the long-range aura is trash-tastic.

What a joke. Publish full details on the dev blog or none, and while I understand this is 'WIP' if you start with something sane it's easier to balance...

Edits:

It's alright Ensign_Cthulu, you can come out now.

4 minutes ago, Noble_Taipan said:

And that's the fifth premium RN BB in the game now.... 

6th depending on if the Dreadnought announced today makes it or not.

Edited by mofton
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,116 posts
5,035 battles
6 minutes ago, Carl said:

Vanguard was allways gonna be a pain to balance. She;s a post WW2 hull with a WW1 gun set. But this is like they're not even trying IMO.

It's still early days, so there's time for them to change it. But yea the guns are underwhelming atm. There's a lot of things they could change. Warspite, Queen Elizabeth, and Hood for example all have the same guns and they all behave slightly differently.

Imho give Vanguard higher sigma, a faster Hood style turret traverse, 1/4 HE pen, higher fire chance, superheal, and Vanguard would be pretty much good to go.

[NUWES]
Members
2,022 posts
6,515 battles
19 minutes ago, FCA_Wichita said:

IRL, it was a new hull with very old guns.  I wonder how they will balance it. 

I'm wondering that too. They struggled to balance them on Hood. I suspect she will be picking up a gimmick or something. 

Members
119 posts
504 battles

it basically looks like a tier 8 reskin of the hms hood with those stats

[INTEL]
Members
9,545 posts
27,172 battles
16 hours ago, Noble_Taipan said:

And that's the fifth premium RN BB in the game now.... 

Yeah.... with so many BBs from Brazil to Austria-Hungary unmodeled...

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I wonder what her SB ranges are.. Hoping they're above average considering their AA value is listed at 5.2km

But those AA ranges could already be adjusted for the CV reworks. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
4 minutes ago, _Iku said:

it basically looks like a tier 8 reskin of the hms hood with those stats

Except Hood has all that lovely >50mm plate everywhere whilst Vanguard is a KGV copy, (allmost, the main belt is 357 everywhere, no 381 at the turrets), and that means 32mm plate everywhere.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
2 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

But those AA ranges could already be adjusted for the CV reworks. 

They're the same mounts as used on Conqueror. Even if they had 10km rnage base they'd be next to worthless unless you gave them player controlled DD gun accuracy.

[DRACS]
Members
4,290 posts

I like that she has such a large healthpool for tier 8, as well as an impressive AA suite.

But her guns are incredibly underwhelming. They are basically about the same as Hood guns, and Hood guns only work because of knowing where to aim and the fact that it has improved auto bounce. Hood also has significantly better turret traverse. And from what I know of Vanguard, her armor is similar to KGVs which is to say an all or nothing scheme, meaning she'll get torn apart by HE, unlike Hood.

Mmmm ... she'll need some buffing to her gunnery be competitive at tier 8. I don't feel she'll need too too much, but 30s reload and 1.8 sigma on eight 15" guns simply wouldn't cut it at tier 8.

[S0L0]
Members
994 posts
5,306 battles
24 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Yeah.... with so many BBs from Brazil to Austria-Hungary unmodeled...

Yup. If they wanted Yet Another RNBB, why not do Agincourt and sell it as a twin-bill with Rio de Janerio, like they did with Nueve de Julio and Boise? T4 is lower profit margin, but being able to sell the same boat twice has to make up for it a bit...

Matt

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,610 posts
4,089 battles

A like for anyone who can give the reason that this ship has 20km range while KGV has 18km(hint, the director with the paired searchlight like radomes is for secondaries, not the main battery).

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
1 minute ago, Aetreus said:

A like for anyone who can give the reason that this ship has 20km range while KGV has 18km(hint, the director with the paired searchlight like radomes is for secondaries, not the main battery).

Wargaming didn't realise that?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,346 posts
11,284 battles
2 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

Balanz.

There are so many range exceptions, changes, ups, downs, nerfs, buffs and oddities I think it's basically 100% 'soft stat' at this point.

[S0L0]
Members
994 posts
5,306 battles
1 minute ago, Aetreus said:

RPC and Fire Control Table X.

Matt

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,610 posts
4,089 battles
2 minutes ago, mobryan said:

Matt

And we have a winner(I suspect it is more AFCT X than RPC, but it is hard to tell)!

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
1 minute ago, mobryan said:

Matt

Hmmm that might make sense.

[SVF]
Beta Testers
28 posts
6,493 battles

That traverse, reload and sigma just kills my interest.

Playing BBs can already be kind frustrating with all the bounces and overpens - add to that terrible accuracy, slow RoF and trash tier traverse? That's gonna be a hard no.

[VVV]
Members
2,476 posts

Guns directed via post-war radar = less accuracy than Warspite 2 tiers lower. Seems legit.

Also apparently the WD40 supply got used up on Warspite and Hood.

Edited by Lord_Magus